1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Borrelli shirts - really that good? Who really makes best shirts in world?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jclin10, Aug 5, 2009.

1. table21

table21 Well-Known Member

one came from http://www.sartoriale.com/

the pink one from elitebargainnyc on ebay.

I have ordered many shirts from both these guys. Also they were new shirts and from different places so I doubt that any one tried to switch the buttons.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

ive owned dozens of borrellis...new and old...ive never seen any with plastic buttons and shitty stitching like that. ever. id be willing to bet borrelli has never produced a RTW shirt with plastic buttons.

3. table21

table21 Well-Known Member

I have about a dozen borrelli shirts as well, these are the only 2 that I have which are done this way. The other thing to note on these is the way the collar is attached. but everything else about the shirt seems to be the same as the others I have.

4. steveoly

steveoly Well-Known Member

See my post #107 - same thing. Shitty plastic buttons, no crow's feet stitching. In addition, the size tag on the neck is low quality (poor font) and the little "logo" triangle at the gusset is pretty weak too. Also, my shirt is extremely short, to the point of where it won't stay tucked in - never had a problem with this and the older Borrelli shirts. Finally, the shirt sleeves are very short. From my experience the older Borrelli shirt sleeves were pretty much all at 36-37" which meant that I needed to shorten them at the tailor. Not on this one.

I don't know what to think...if these are knock offs or if Borrelli has drastically lowered the quality of ther RTW shirts to this level. I don't know much about elitebargainsnyc, but sartoriale is a legit seller.

Is there a SF affiliate vendor or someone who is well-versed in Borrelli that would like to take a closer look? I'd happily forward mine on as a guinea pig.

5. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

my gut would tell me its a knock off...ive had some new borrellis and have had none of these issues...hmm...strange stuff though.

6. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

same here. none of my borrellis have any of those issues. they are all impeccable.

7. dfoverdx

dfoverdx Well-Known Member

I had a lot of Borrelli shirts with different combinations
    - Hand made button holes, hand finished shoulders, don't know how to call it but the placket on which button holes are sewn is also hand stitched until the mid of the shirt
    - Machine made button holes but hand finished shoulders
    - Entirely machine made shirts, from A to Z.
    so i am really not surprised.

table21 you should have gotten one of my Kiton shirts in place of these 2... you would be much more happy right now.

8. jnm23q

jnm23q Well-Known Member

I've had three. Two had the thick buttons and one the thinner buttons. All bought from STF.

Plus points:
    I love the collars - a soft collar, with a nice spread and long collar points
    Lovely fabric
    Nice details e.g. on the gusset and of course the buttons
    They have an amazing colour selection

Minus:
    Not the most fitted shirts. I am 16" neck with a 34" waist (fairly average for UK), but I find these slightly baggy on the waist
    One of the elbows wore away on the "thin button" shirt. I know this is a bit random - but it hasn't happened on my Truzzi or Harvie shirts
    They are obviously not cheap. Even on STF they were around 160 USD.

Overall - good shirts but prefer Truzzi and RL black label when spending big on shirts.

9. dinowhite

dinowhite Well-Known Member

I find it a little too limiting that when it comes to shirts almost all the talk in SF is about 'handmade' details and button material/size

As a consequence the discussion is almost always framed in the 'Neapolitan context', which is too biased in my opinion. I guess the reason for this is that these discussions are very often made in the context of the high end RTW shirt market in the US, which is what the (mostly US) contributors have been 'educated' to appreciate

While I appreciate 'hand stitching' etc, this should be balanced with other factors like the cloth composition. For example I love my Loro Piana shirts. These are "germanic' Italian (up up north) not the guys from Naples. So no hand sewing of buttons or decorative hand stitching of armholes. But the buttons are the thickest/shiniest MOPs around and it is a pleasure to wear cotton-cashmere shirts in the winter and silk in spring/summer

Compared to that the Neapolitan cotton shirt is actually pedestrian no matter how many fleur de lis buttons or decorative but useless hand stitching in the shirt body

PS: I keep trying on Kiton shirts due to SF group think but never come to buy any because there is nothing so special about them. I hate the dark yellow buttons, and the cloth is not that much better than a Pal Zileri Sartoriale (probably same source) or Mattabisch (part of Kiton). Actually Neapolitan speaking I would go for Mattabisch almost all the time over barba, borreli, Buonamassa, etc

anyway, just a little rant

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2012
  10. in stitches

re - sizing.

it obviously depends on your build. each maker decides what their shirts measurement will be, and usually makes up to 3 variations. full, slim, and extra slim. for me, the borrelli slim fits pretty much perfectly, and the full and extra slim, fit well enough, but not perfect.

so, when pronouncing that a certain maker makes a shirt that is "baggy" or "tight," be sure to take into consideration first, did you try all their fits, and maybe your build just isnt suited for their shirts? that doesnt mean someone else with the same neck size will have the same result. within each neck size, there are all kinds of variations that a persons measurements could be.

11. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

Sartoriale (Gabor) use to post of SF. He was the first to sell Vass in the USA. You should email him about the borrelli shirt?

12. in stitches

i have dealt with him, very nice guy. answers emails within a day.

13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

+1.

There is something inherently dodgy about places such as STF and Sartoriale being able to find / sell their shirts on such a continuous large scale at such a discount - it wouldn't surprise me if by now manufacturers had caught on to this and were producing lower quality goods for places such as this - Gilt being a good example.

14. in stitches

i dont know if that is true, but all the borrellis and brabas i have had from STF are all top notch. buttons, button holes, button stitching, shoulder balls, armpit and neck stitching, placket, sleeve stitching.... no complaints here.

15. Kslim

Kslim Well-Known Member

I like T&A (fit/cotton/construction) and Kiton (cotton/construction) personally.

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I don't really think that you can compare sellers like StF and Sartoriale to Gilt etc.

Whilst StF has quite a few shirts listed on eBay and on their own website, it's clear that a lot of the shirts are old-season shirts or are in "non-staple" patterns or fabrics. That's not to say that they are not nice shirts, but by the same token, they're also the shirts (and other clothes) that are often more likely to be left over at the end of the season. Fashion being what it is, businesses want to clear out old stock to make way for the new and so they pass it on to places like StF at low cost.

Presumably, Gilt started out operating on a similar model, whilst trying to appear exclusive by only allowing "members" to purchase goods from the website and only having certain brands available for certain time periods. However, it certainly seems as though Gilt moves substantially higher volumes of stuff than businesses such as StF and so don't think that it would be worthwhile for a company like Borrelli to make a lower-quality "sale" shirt to sell via StF.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and it could be entirely wrong.

17. in stitches

fwiw, i also enjoy some T&A and kiton. :smarmy:

18. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

TBH I have seen lower quality Borrelli shirts made exactly for this purpose...

19. in stitches

where did you see them being sold?

i wonder why they even make such shirts, i dont see how it can be good for the brand.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  20. hrv123

hrv123 Well-Known Member

I can echo pretty much everything you wrote here. I purchased two Borrelli shirts from elitebargainnyc on ebay and have had the exact same experience (lack of hand stitching, garbage buttons, very short shirt, etc.). I can't complain given that I paid only $75 per shirt discounted from $150. I actually had the same experience with a shrt bought from Ehaberdasher a while ago (except the length of that one was ok). Did I get duped or are there two Borrelli lines, one with all the stops and one that's actually a cheaper diffusion line?