1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Zapasman

Zapasman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Like mine. No more no less.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Well-Known Member

Can someone give me a few recommendations for a black Chelsea dress boot somewhere $300-$600? I figure if I am going to spend more than that, I will just double up and get a St. C MTO. Thanks.

3. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Carmina. Skoak.

4. beargonefishing

Thanks RogerP, I appreciate the recommendations. Skoak has a great one, but they carry my size (in any of the boots). The only black one on Carmina's website is on the Simpson last that, according to the website, is "one of our narrowest last." I am a 12.5 E on the brannock, so I fear the Simpson last will not work. Any other recommendations?

5. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

With that kind of an outlier size I really recommend you go MTO. St. Crispin's will likely cost more than double. Bonafe is attainable at just a bit more than Carmina. That's where I'd go.

6. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Well-Known Member

You can find Santoni shoes in your size. I know cause I'm a similar size. Boots do get a bit trickier to find. Santoni does have a black Chelsea boot but at least in the US isn't showing up on a few sites.

And nice user name btw. I know and love a song by that name.

7. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Santoni makes some excellent shoes but:

1) they have several different quality tiers, so you really need to know the ins and outs to be sure of what you're actually getting and

2) their sizing is crazy. I've tried on 8.5 that fit perfectly and 9 that fit about two sizes too big.

Chelseas are very unforgiving when it comes to fit. It's right, or it's not.

A buyer new to the brand, purchasing online, would be well advised to acquaint himself with the return policy of the vendor.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. Anm1984

Anm1984 Well-Known Member

I second what Roger said, chelseas are the most unforgiving footwear if the size is off. I wonder if Vass would make one? That would be less than St.C but again you'd need to be familiar with the sizing.

9. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

I just did a Google image search for Vass Chelsea boots and one of the first results was a pic of my Anthony Cleverley Chelsea boots - lol! Google 'aint perfect.

I haven't seen a pair of Vass Chelseas yet, which I why I recommended Bonafe. But if Vass does indeed make them, that would be an equally viable option.

10. Anm1984

That's too funny. I think Bonafe might be the answer then. I've never heard anything bad about them and Skoak is a great vendor. Also my last mto boots from St.Crispin were more than $600 x2, something to keep in mind. Weston would be around 1K though (I have 2 pairs and love them), less than their English counterparts. You also have some mid tier English brands like Crocket and Jones and such but I'm unfamiliar with them personally.

11. beargonefishing

Thanks for all the suggestions. The St. C MTO looks to be around $1600, and I was really thinking if I am going to spend $800 I would just double it and get them. Anyone have any experience with RM Williams Chelsea boots? The ones with leather soles look good enough to wear with a suit, but I have not heard much about the brand. I am going to check out Santoni.

12. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Couple of quick options for you here, plenty more out there. Dialled in to the best fit for you is the right way to go :) Good luck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Personally I don't and you may get a response or two here but if I were you I would also check out the RM Williams appreciation thread on this forum.

14. Anm1984

RM Williams is great and is a wholecut, which I think is even better. To my knowledge only them and JM Weston do that. I have no idea were you could try them on, I went to their store in NYC for mine years ago but it's gone now.

Re: St.C I paid over $1,600 for mine but that could be the NYC markup I suppose.

15. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Was just about to rec RMW - amazing chelseas, and on the lower edge of your range at about $350

16. youtubs

youtubs Well-Known Member

Enzo Bonafe today.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Edward Green Shannon !!

5 people like this.
  18. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Well-Known Member

very very dandy

1 person likes this.
  19. Chawk806

Chawk806 Well-Known Member

Any recommendation on a pair of plain toe chukka boots? Comfortable out of the box would be great or even preworn. Brands, styles
    So many awesome boots on this forum. I'd be interested in a preworn pair [​IMG]

20. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Lot of old timers in this thread, been awhile for me. Some new too which is good.

Russell Moccasin. I had them build my Grand Slam Sheep Hunters extra tall for the wet woods of Mn. and pothole region of SD. Also extra leather on the toe cap which is the area that wears out first for me from busting through brush during bird season.
    [​IMG]

Couple of pairs of Meindl Perfekt boots in the center. The rest of the world knows Meindl as a great boot but for what ever reason Cabela's has exclusive distribution in North America.
    [​IMG]

Have gone to Crispi for my main hunting boot last year. With degenerative arthritis in my left foot the Ankle Stabilizing System in them works, and works well. Need to return the GTX guide and get the next size up like the taller HTX that I wore bird hunting last year. One of the most expensive hunting boots out there but worth every penny. They work.
    [​IMG]

Wolverine 744 LTD Shell
    [​IMG]

Red Wing Beckman
    [​IMG]

Wolverine Krause in Dublin leather
    [​IMG]

AE Bayfield. I own them in CXL, black calf and cappuccino shell
    [​IMG]

5 AE Dundees in all the flavors of shell that AE has offered in recent years. Burgundy, Black, Walnut, Brown, and Cappuccino[​IMG]

AE suede Katami
    [​IMG]

Walnut Shell Daltons
    [​IMG]

Alden captoe in #8 on the Grant last with commando soles
    [​IMG]

I have sold off my other Alden's and European boots. The AE lasts generally works best for my foot and have to go with what works for you.

11 people like this.