1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bootcut out of style?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by greatfire, Aug 16, 2009.

1. greatfire

greatfire Well-Known Member

I'm more of a city guy when it comes to dressing. I don't like the skinny fit goth/indie/emo look, so I've always relied on bootcuts. But something just came across my mind: is this cut out of style nowadays? Should I update to straight fit (or, gulp, skinny fit) to stay current? If bootcuts are still in, then should there be a move to a more subtle bootcut, rather than an obvious flare?

I mostly work in a "laid back" corporate environment. So people wear jeans and a button down, but they tuck in their shirts (something I can't get myself to do).

What do you think: to bootcut, or not to bootcut?

2. Crakaveli

Crakaveli Well-Known Member

3. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Bootcut = flare. Never was a good look. So, not.

4. JonHecht

JonHecht Well-Known Member

If you can pull it off, then get slim.

5. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

Bootcut = flare. Never was a good look. So, not.
    Yes it was, and yes it still is. Just depends on your body type and the subtlety of the flare. 5EP bootcuts are great. Most people do best with straight legs though.

6. tagutcow

tagutcow Well-Known Member

I'm more of a city guy when it comes to dressing. I don't like the skinny fit goth/indie/emo look, so I've always relied on bootcuts. But something just came across my mind: is this cut out of style nowadays? Should I update to straight fit (or, gulp, skinny fit) to stay current? If bootcuts are still in, then should there be a move to a more subtle bootcut, rather than an obvious flare?

I mostly work in a "laid back" corporate environment. So people wear jeans and a button down, but they tuck in their shirts (something I can't get myself to do).

What do you think: to bootcut, or not to bootcut?

Why are you so worried about what's in style? What are you, a girl?

7. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Yes it was, and yes it still is. Just depends on your body type and the subtlety of the flare. 5EP bootcuts are great. Most people do best with straight legs though.

Ugh, no. I say no, under any and all circumstances.

8. uhurit

uhurit Well-Known Member

look for jeans with a "small" bootcut, if you must have a bootcut at all. Flares look ridiculous

9. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

Ugh, no. I say no, under any and all circumstances.
    That's fine but I'd imagine the guy is looking for evenhanded advice rather than personal affectations.

10. JustinW

JustinW Well-Known Member

Boot cut with real boots and the whole 70s enchilada isn't a bad look, if that is really your thing (and not too obviously an affectation) and if you can pull it off. Also, I think bootcut can look good on women.

For the rest of us, I think it is a rather unflattering cut. There's plenty of options aside from skinny jeans and flares!

11. unknown00

unknown00 Member

before this year, i've always worn bootcut. never anything else. now i'm planning to go with straight fit only

12. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

That's fine but I'd imagine the guy is looking for evenhanded advice rather than personal affectations.

Personal affections? Not from me, he's not. Unless he's really cute.

13. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

Zac Efron never rocked the bootcut. You fail sir.

14. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

Personal affections?

[​IMG]

15. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

16. Curious_George

Curious_George Well-Known Member

I don't support a bootcut greater than on a pair of Levi's 517s.

17. JonHecht

JonHecht Well-Known Member

The problem isn't that it's a joke. The problem is that it's too obvious.

18. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

I'm wearing RRDS as we speak. And as you should be aware, my clothing decisions determine what is or isn't in style.

19. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Well-Known Member

before this year, i've always worn bootcut. never anything else. now i'm planning to go with straight fit only

haha.. me too.
    Also, most men's bootcut jeans are really more straight cut or straight cut with only a very slightly larger hem anyway that look more or less straight.

Bootcuts and flares can look great on women. IMO they don't look great on men, but I don't think it's necessary to be too critical of others who like it. The same could be said of tight slim jeans or stacking... it's a matter of taste and individuality should be encouraged to some extent, not crucified.

20. Nosu3

Nosu3 Well-Known Member

Do you wear boots with the bootcut? Don't see any other reason for bootcut.