1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bookster bankrupt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kai, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Just received an email from Bookster stating that they are bankrupt and are closing their doors.

Also, they don't intend to refund the money I sent them for a suit.

For those who don't know of Bookster, they are a well known English purveyor of tweed clothing and cloth.

Web site here:

http://www.tweed-jacket.com/

2. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

thats really sad news. I brought my uniforms from there.

3. Wolfram

Wolfram New Member

Got the same email. I had been waiting for a pair of trousers since late January. I almost forgot about that. But last week(!) I asked and got the answer that the order would be on its way within the next two weeks. Not funny.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  4. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Very sad news indeed.

5. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Uniforms for what? I was not aware that they made uniforms.

6. steverooney

steverooney New Member

i found this forum as i was also let down by bookster but i have found the manufacturer www.bespokemears.com, spoke to a lovely lady lynne mears who has been really helpful and they are trying to help me although i wont get my money back i will get my jacket!!!

7. gdrgdr

gdrgdr New Member

many thanks Steve Rooney,

i have just contacted Mears and they could not of been more helpfull, i have to take it on the chin that i have lost my money via BACS payment to Bookster,, but hopefully i can get my suit from Mears , as in the past i have had a few suits from Bookster without any hassle and a quality product, but in saying that it seems that Bookster are not tailors but they simply advertise suits and get them made buy a third party. So i assume that the third party Mears have lost out big time also to the bankrupt Bookster like us all...

8. steverooney

steverooney New Member

no problem gdrgdr, yes you are right have been taken for a ride, like us all, feel very sorry for them, as they seem such nice people
    will definitely be buying through them

9. wellwellwell

wellwellwell New Member

I managed to get my money back just in time but wil not be getting the suit I ordered 4 months ago for my wedding on 27th July. In fact, getting any suit at all in time will be quite an ask...

10. nohit

nohit Active Member

Thanks for the info, Steve. I got my money back in December on a couple waistcoats after a long runaround with Bookster. I'd been relatively pleased with my few orders with them over the past few years. Assuming the fire story they gave me is true, it's a shame they couldn't pull through, but I'm glad to hear about Mears.

11. aklj05

aklj05 New Member

So are you saying that Mears has been doing the tailoring for Bookster??

I had an overcoat and pair of trousers being made by Bookster!

12. steverooney

steverooney New Member

yes thats correct, give them a ring, although they havent got your money they might have your suit!!!

13. P-K-L

P-K-L Well-Known Member

I find it strange that so many 1-post-people pop up all of a sudden in order to bash Bookster...

14. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Meh, in this case I think it makes sense. People googling around about the Bookster bankruptcy and find these threads. Were it just random bitching, I'd definitely think something fishy was going on.

What I don't understand is people thinking they should get their money back. It's a bankruptcy, they *have no money*. Further, you are an unsecured creditor--you go *all the way* to the back of the line. That's how bankruptcy works. Sucks, but that's life.

Anyways, I'm glad folks are able to get their stuff from the tailor--that's about the best possible outcome here. Perhaps they can even ask the tailor to finish the clothes for them for a fee.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    2 people like this.
  15. Balfour

Balfour Well-Known Member

^ or lurkers prompted to post.

16. patrick vandepu

patrick vandepu New Member

The fact that their website is still live, the fact that they have been stalling and trying to gain time for months saying that the suits will be delivered, that people (who did not do tailoring) were sick hence the delay and the zillion of other excuses etc makes the Bookster case a plain fraud in my view. 1172 pounds in there, and I do not call them lost yet...

17. parkypoohs

parkypoohs New Member

Yes, very sad news about Bookster.

Unfortunately, in the case of a bankruptcy, it is quite correct that pre-paid orders cannot be refunded by the company, as their business is in the hands of the Official Receiver. However, buyers in the UK who paid by credit card (not debit card) may well have a claim against the credit card company, who may well become responsible for refunding of payment; contact the bank/credit card company in the first instance, and seek legal advice if you are not satisfied (I myself am not a lawyer/solicitor.) I am not sure how this would affect overseas buyers.

Hope this is helpful to some of those creditors who have paid Bookster, but not received their goods.

Good luck!

18. Quantimil

Quantimil Well-Known Member

Sad news. I had an overcoat made there last year, and I really like their products (I also have a charcoal worsted suit), and I was planning to one day order something else. My best fitting suit trousers were made by them. Maybe I need to look into this Mears business.

19. thomasJS

thomasJS New Member

Bookster has sent the suggestion to pursue a charg eack through the payment provider. Such process works well with credit cards, not with bank transfers. Refunds in such processes have a preferred position in the liability schedule of illiquid companies. So the last word on whether or not a refund will be made isn't spoken.

Beyond secured transactions one ought to be able to spek to a receiver or liquidator. For those in the know of trades and customs on the north-sea island, professional assistance may be desirable and affordable.

Three more important points:
    The Kings have built a business that was unique in its way, they provided personal service, superb clothing a.s.f. Going out of business is the last thing any entrepreneur ever wishes to experience. It is a deteriorating personal experience. I wish them all the luck in the world.

If (as an entrepreneur) you have never gone through bankruptcy, you probably haven't lived or involved in anything worth your mission.

It is devastating not to get my jacket, trousers and first breeches. After some cheap remorse about money lost, I realized: If I could not ultimately decide to be able to afford the loss, should I pretend to be a man in bespoke suits?

Cheers,

Thomas

20. Gee-al-Nujorki

Gee-al-Nujorki New Member

really distressing, had many pleasant and professional dealings with Peter and Michele over the years, vast & unique choice of fabrics, sound style & tailoring especially considering the price, more than a dozen tweed jackets and several moleskin trousers. With temps finally falling, I was just getting ready to order a double breasted tweed jacket when I came upon this. So now what is one to do ?