1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Book(s) about the history of Israeli/Palestinian conflict

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Reynard369, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Reynard369

Reynard369 Well-Known Member

Any recommendations? Looking for something that's not too biased in either direction (a tough ask, I know), and ideally something that covers the last century at least.

2. Spatlese

Spatlese Well-Known Member

I'm posting here without comment but have a look at this one.

I'm sure if you posted in CE your question could garner vastly differing opinions.

3. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

When asked this question before, manton recommended Martin Gilbert's Israel. That is probably a good choice. It is very thorough and well-documented. It is also a bit dry. I borrowed it from the library, was impressed, but don't think I ever got through it.

4. dexterhaven

dexterhaven Well-Known Member

While not exclusively about the conflict, Robert Fisk's documentary From Beirut to Bosnia gives a pretty novel view (well, novel for someone living in the US) of the fight between the Israelis and the Palestinians.

A good book about the subject as it relates to the US is The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy, which gives a history of the conflict as it relates to the United States and examines how the conflict has been portrayed to US citizens over the years.

5. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Well-Known Member

' The Iron Wall' by Avi Shlaim