1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Blue collar wannabes - Why??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gilwood, Nov 24, 2009.

1. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

I suppose blue fabric is the cheapest to produce, or at times hides poor construcion the best.
    Can't sell the idea of a blue shirt everyday though.

what the hell? are you serious? if so, [​IMG]

2. tc6

tc6 Well-Known Member

How would blue hide poor construction the best? And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't white the cheapest to produce?

3. spudnik99

spudnik99 Well-Known Member

I think blue fabric is used for workwear because it`s the color that looks least bad with grease and dirt stains.

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Whatever. I never said being blue collar was a bad thing. The world needs ditch diggers too (caddyshack quote). I said WANNABE'S - read before you post. I'm talking about the people sit in cubicles all day and wear work boots, cargo jeans, etc. They own a pickup truck, but the back is spotless because they have never hauled anything ever. It says "Offroad" in big letters on the side, but the tires have never seen anything besides pavement. They talk big about beating people up, but have never been in physical confrontation themselves. I don't understand this fashion sense that people get pushed into. Why??
    I see it as a yearning for the self-satisfaction or self-esteem that comes from being able to do stuff: to build, to work, to till, to get callouses, to be able to work with real objects in a way that many white-collar professions do not. There is an intrinsic quality to the soul of much blue collar work that the 'manufactured' positions of white collar society cannot fill, positions that would have no meaning without the support structures of society that created them. For men, I think it strikes a very deep chord with a concept of masculinity that has greatly receded of late. So, like most things in America, if you haven't got it, fake it. ~ H

5. HedgeFundHotSHot

HedgeFundHotSHot Well-Known Member

Wait till algorithms replace all the blue collar jobs like they have manual trade executing.

6. Huntsman

Wait till algorithms replace all the blue collar jobs like they have manual trade executing.
    Well, it is mainly assembly-line work that has been replaced with systems. Plumbers, electricians, heavy construction and the like is harder to replace. New construction will probably be the first of those jobs to go robotic because there is a defined plan from which deviation is not intended, but on existing site work is more dynamic. Anyway, at that time I expect the feeling the OP is sort of alluding to will only get more intense. ~H

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I believe most of us, who aren't tools, know where the line is. if you have lived your whole life in new jersey and you have 6 pair of cowboy boots and you wear cowboy belt buckles and a cowboy hat, you know who you are. I have a friend who grew up in texas and lives in chicago, who wears simple cowbody boots. I find that more or less acceptable. on me, it is wrong

For what its worth there are people who live in NJ and work on Farms, still.

Also I dont believe that you necessarily need to live a blue collar life to be able to put on the lumberjack gear once in a while and build something in the garage when its cold outside or do some yard work.

I believe that was the idea behind that clothing....its considered work clothes, that doesnt mean it needs to be your profession.

8. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

when is being blue collar considered mediocre? ad not all people that do blue collar jobs fit into the awful stereotype you put present.

Expect on this forum, where everyone thinks they are above everyone else

9. MiniW

MiniW Well-Known Member

There are stuff that looks better with wear, and then there are stuff that looks better new. Blue collar clothing - actual and inspired will tend to look better with wear. If you are into keeping pieces a long time and seeing how they change with wear, you are not going to shop at Brooks Brothers, you are going to shop at Filson, Barbour, or maybe Self Edge. I am pretty sure that 95% of the people wearing chambray nowadays don't want to be a cowboy or a sailor (or that these thoughts even crossed their minds), they just want a durable shirt that looks cool (and feels nice) and will last for a few years. If this is not your thing then stop questioning it. Obviously you can get carried away, like the guy posted above with the buffalo plaid jacket. But on the other hand there are guys dressed head to toe in Thom Browne who are equally ridiculous. Moderation is key. Over thinking is a waste of time.

10. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

There are stuff that looks better with wear, and then there are stuff that looks better new. Blue collar clothing - actual and inspired will tend to look better with wear. If you are into keeping pieces a long time and seeing how they change with wear, you are not going to shop at Brooks Brothers, you are going to shop at Filson, Barbour, or maybe Self Edge. I am pretty sure that 95% of the people wearing chambray nowadays don't want to be a cowboy or a sailor (or that these thoughts even crossed their minds), they just want a durable shirt that looks cool (and feels nice) and will last for a few years. If this is not your thing then stop questioning it. Obviously you can get carried away, like the guy posted above with the buffalo plaid jacket. But on the other hand there are guys dressed head to toe in Thom Browne who are equally ridiculous. Moderation is key. Over thinking is a waste of time.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, son, thats way to damn logical. Get that shit out of here.

11. polyesterisok

polyesterisok Active Member

I went out to the garage today to rummage through some boxes wearing my camo parka. I guess I was playing soldier.

12. Merckx

Merckx Well-Known Member

13. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

Uh oh... I've never been in the military... should I immediately cut the epaulets of my jacket and dye it some other colour than dark green?

14. Huntsman

Whoa, whoa, whoa, son, thats way to damn logical. Get that shit out of here.
    Yeah, it's nice and logical but it doesn't explain most of the attitudes on SF, or why they make jeans with faux oil filter stains. ~ H

15. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's nice and logical but it doesn't explain most of the attitudes on SF, or why they make jeans with faux oil filter stains.

~ H

Because people are fucking dip-shits.

16. Huntsman

Because people are fucking dip-shits.
    LOL. But it is only the extreme of a spectrum that does pervade more than MiniW supposes. Not that everyone is that way, of course. ~H