1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Blue blazer and Grey pants? Classic or boring?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][/quote]

...will appreciate and suggestions...For a 6-10 PM function

thoughts on wearing a dark brown brogue oxford (AE Strand) with pic on the right (thinking of Bengal stripe shirt, pin drop blue tie and still shopping for a PS as I have never worn one before, there's always a first time [​IMG] )

...or should I go with lighter share trouser? ...Thanks in advance !!!

2. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

This is because that girl you liked told you she didn't like your outfit in the bar a few months back isn't it?

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=204289

(I'm just kidding btw)

I think it's a classic look... can't really go wrong IMO. It might be boring though...

Pahahahaha

3. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Well-Known Member

any thoughts Gentleman? Thanks...

[​IMG][​IMG]

...will appreciate and suggestions...For a 6-10 PM function

thoughts on wearing a dark brown brogue oxford (AE Strand) with pic on the right (thinking of Bengal stripe shirt, pin drop blue tie and still shopping for a PS as I have never worn one before, there's always a first time [​IMG] )

...or should I go with lighter share trouser? ...Thanks in advance !!![/quote]

4. dandy1

dandy1 Well-Known Member

The combination is also reminiscent of a lot of public school uniforms in England, grey trouser and blue blazer with a school motto on the chest.

what do SF members feel about choice of shoes with the combination, brown or black .. swede or calf leather?

previous pictures with a swede monk / brown oxford calf looked great .. although i cant help feeling a black shoe is more classic with this look? is this an english affectation to wear black shoes instead of brown?

dandy.

5. VonLehndorff

VonLehndorff Well-Known Member

Not just Brit schools! I lived in this for eight years of grammar school and four years of Prep school in Manhattan. It is definetly a ubiquitous "uniform"and has been acceptable in all but the most formal business and social events for a hundred years. During Summer in the Hamptons-and most other N.E. resorts and Palm Beach/Hobe Sound, of course- it switches to white yellow, green, (ad infinitum) linen trousers, also a rainbow of colors with ducks, trout, and dog's heads! Reference: LL Bean.

It has always been a Friday alternative to business suits. However, as one will now be mistaken for the bank guard or maintenance/security building staff, I would reccommend avoiding grey trousers. Tan, olive, tweeds,etc. work well.

Is it "old school"? Obviously. Boring? Yes. Try modern tie patterns, make the trousers the focus almost all shoes are acceptable. Pocket square. If you have a Ralph Lauren Crested blazer, BURN IT.

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

:puzzled:

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

Navy is a staple and you can only really pair it with a few colors: grey, brown, white, and I guess khaki. Khaki is....khaki. White isn't always appropriate. So how many options do you have left?

8. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

There are multiple shades that work within those color ranges. At least 5 or 6 shades of grey. Cream, tan, beige, camel, taupe, carmel, etc. Then you could consider various textures with in these colors and easily end up with a dozen trousers to wear with a navy jacket

9. VonLehndorff

Ya, at school we could wear Khaki in hot weather. White works in "nautical" settings- it really is a Hamptons/Palm Beach uniform, there'll be a hundred men all dressed the same- two guys in yellow or pink trousers (or yellow, pastels, or green blazers- ref: The Masters champ blazer) Nantucket/Newport it's Nantucket Reds. It's "yacht club". Anywhere else it really doesn't work. Actually, any light shade/pattern suit trousers go with the blazer, BTW, NO BLACK BLAZERS, unless you're in the cast of the Sopranos.

10. vida

vida Well-Known Member

Actually, I have started moving towards the blazer look because I have started to feel over-dressed in a suit. I think it is a very elegant look if done correctly with a little thought. I am more willing to take chances with fabrics and detailing (patch pockets, hacking pockets, etc) due to the cost benefit. I mean, one blazer and five different pairs of pants is five outfits.

11. buzzron

buzzron Well-Known Member

If I say I like the look would that classify me as boring aswell? Just kidding. A different shade perhaps or keep a slim fitting look to it. It's a classic so maybe you can modify the fit, or change the buttons to a more brass looking one.

12. VonLehndorff

Not boring at all... one blazer, different pants=5 outfits is the whole idea,- change brass buttons to colored ones so it doesn't look too typical, as said before- it is formal enough for most business/social occassions, esp. with dress shoes (oxfords/brogues/monks) use a pocket square, it moves it into looking like you are taking it seriously.

13. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Well-Known Member

If anyone is looking for some nice blazers in London, T&A has theirs on offer for £195, down from £750. Not much below a 40 though—both locations did have 38L.

Anyone know a good source for 36s or perhaps 38s? I know Harvie and Hudson have some, but they feel a bit stiff. I'm particularly interested in double breasted.

14. razl

razl Well-Known Member

Those trousers are The Shit.

edit: on revisiting it, I'm even more impressed with the light brown socks - perfect blend from the trou to the brown shoes.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  15. vida

vida Well-Known Member

+1 on the Trousers!

16. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Well-Known Member

17. connor09

connor09 Well-Known Member

18. buzzron

buzzron Well-Known Member

That look is great, very classy is what I think.

19. razl

razl Well-Known Member

On closer inspection, I'm docking points for the bracelet that seemingly matches the furniture studding. I don't like bracelets and, even if I did, it's too matchy-matchy with the furniture.

Come on, this love fest required some constructive criticism! :teach:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  20. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

A low-contrast-high-texture take on the uniform

[​IMG]