1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Blackwatch tartan dinner jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by WICaniac, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

Flowers can be expensive.

2. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

The first picture is just wrong. People who think "black tie" means you just have to wear a black tie are morons. Dressing like this is a textbook example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. The second picture is, if possible, even more wrong, ostentatiously wrong, in fact. That is supposed to be a DJ, except it isn't. There is no such thing as a blazer DJ. There just isn't. Nor is there such a thing as grey tie. Finally, jeans + DJ = massive fail. God help us, I bet he is also wearing tennis shoes. If you want to be louche, get a velvet smoking jacket. If you want to be really louche, get a frogged velvet smoking jacket. Oh, and one more thing. [​IMG]

3. WICaniac

WICaniac Well-Known Member

Passed on the DJ.

Have been eying these Thurstons as well. They're classic and quite a bit cheaper than Favourbrook's bees.

4. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Very limited use unless you live in Scotland and attend Burns Night Suppers and similar which have a slightly less formal flavour to them or attend similar Scottish functions, say or ex-Pat groups.

If you need to ask you do not need it and have no real recognition of when it would be appropriate to wear such a garment.

5. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

One of the regular posters had a great rant in another thread about setting an example through his dress. If you really have a yen to wear a DJ I would say go for it. Worse case scenario is you stand out. Do you want to stand out?

1 person likes this.
  6. WICaniac

WICaniac Well-Known Member

I don't disagree (although I'd probably more charitable in my use of terms, as the vast majority simply don't know better). For the record, I was seeking advice not on how to transgress black tie convention but rather how (and whether) to use the blackwatch DJ outside of the normal settings. I have come around to concurring that for most people (including me) it's a reach.

Fair enough, I suppose, given my flippant OP, but per post 16 I know exactly when such a garment is appropriate and was asking whether there existed any additional, acceptable venues for wear. This thread produced no consensus, but a majority (of about three people who weighed in on this issue) adhere to traditional guidelines. I still think a blackwatch DJ is too handsome of an item to be relegated to the most arcane of settings, but I'll leave it to others to trend set.

7. David Reeves

David Reeves Well-Known Member

Code:

Wow, you sound like James Bond!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  8. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

42R, Nice. I say go for it. It is a beautiful piece of work. But I am not your wife.

9. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

The thing about the Brooks Bros Blackwatch is that- - unlike those Jos A Banks abominations I posted-- when seen in person the tartan is subtle enough to be acceptable. This is the key.

In a similar vein, I sometimes were this vintage brocade dinner jacket for more "casual" black tie events. Note: the photos were taken in full winter sun so it appears as more grey than it would in the evening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.