1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Black tie event with navy suit - what shirt/neckwear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by M Colleague, Dec 28, 2012.

1. M Colleague

M Colleague Member

Hey guys,

I'm going to a black-tie-ish NYE party. Having attended the event before I know that there's going to be a number of people wearing normal dark suits. In recent years I've always worn my black tuxedo and felt appropriately dressed, but this time I forgot to bring it.

The most formal option I have available is a very nice navy two button suit. I guess I want to 'dress it up' but I'm unsure if it's fine to combine it with my normal tuxedo gear (which I have available). Here's all my options:

Shirt:
    1. Tuxedo shirt with a hidden placket and Kent collar
    2. White business shirt with a semi-spread collar

Neckwear:
    1. Black bow tie
    2. Black tie with very subtle white stripes
    3. Solid blue tie (with a hue dangerously close to the color of my suit :/)

Can you guys please help me pick the most appropriate/formal combination :)

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Wear a white dress shirt (not the tux shirt) and any evening long tie. Like something with a satiny kind of finish. The black one would be fine I'm sure.

Don't try to pretend your navy suit is a tuxedo though.