1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Black suit poll

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vida, Sep 29, 2011.

Do you wear a black suit to work?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. No

109 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. Outside of the office

30 vote(s)
    17.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

I'm sure black suits have their uses, probably government agents, FBI, NSA, etc. and for funerals.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

no one cares and there are different shades of black that could look gray or navy.

3. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

over-bearing and paying dad...

4. Texastyle

Texastyle Well-Known Member

Don't read the thread then silly goose.

5. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

If a black was light enough to look grey then it wouldn't be black, it would be grey. Black fabrics may look grey after they've faded but will start out looking black. And black never looks navy; if it did it again wouldn't be black, it would be midnight blue (or navy).

6. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

The OP and poll could have been meant as a troll post, trying to get the SF groupthink to bite.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  7. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

10-15 years ago, I used to wear cheap black cotton suits. With black shirts and neon ties. It was meant to be ironic and 'cyberpunk'. And I'm not against that, if that's what you want to do and you can pull it off in your workplace or life. I don't have a dogmatic opposition to any particular colour. That would be silly. However, my appreciation of fabric has changed a lot since then. I still like a dark suit, but midnight blue or dark charcoal, especially with some pattern has so much more depth and interest than black. However sometimes, texture can even make black work in itelf - it is far from CBD, but I also used to have black corduroy suit, which I loved, and which I would still wear occasionally if it fitted me. So sue me...

8. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

10-15 years ago, I used to wear cheap black cotton suits. With black shirts and neon ties. It was meant to be ironic and 'cyberpunk'. And I'm not against that, if that's what you want to do and you can pull it off in your workplace or life. I don't have a dogmatic opposition to any particular colour.

Very Gary Numan ...

I will wear a black linen suit for a casual evening out..

9. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

Quote:

10. daspianist

daspianist Well-Known Member

What about dark navy ink, which under some lights (florescent, especially) could be construed as black? Would a garment color of such semblance to black be also viewed negatively upon here?

Just curious, since while I marginally dislike black, I do fancy a navy ink suit someday.

11. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

I love blue and I have 10 different dark blue suits...

I love ink blue...

12. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Weaves also play a role in the 'blackness' of the black fabrics. For example, black flannel will appear more black than black herringbone, black velvet will appear more black than black flannel, and kettle appears more black than pot.

Besides, according to the forum group-think, black fabrics does not look black under artificial lights. So what's the big deal about black suits?

13. daspianist

daspianist Well-Known Member

Please be considerate of those who browse SF from the office when you post image such as these.

Thanks.

14. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

And skin tone.

Pasty white people look awful in black suits. People that are colored look a lot better because of less contrast.

15. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

It is a great terrorist colour...

You're spot on...

Are you a sartorial profiler?

16. sugarglider unrelism

sugarglider unrelism Member

Speaking of black...my head must have been full of coal dust twice in a row b/c I hesitated on a sales site and lost out.

ANYWAY, if anyone out there has a self striped, chalk striped, single or double breasted, BLACK Brioni, Canali, Zegna, whatever 46R - I am READY to pull the trigger,

That's what I think of black suits.

Thanks for reading my thread reply and all the best!

17. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

If you have $550 spare, I will let you take my unworn NWT Gucci black suit. I have no plans for wearing black anytime soon, and if I need to dress up, I have a midnight blue suit that will suit any occasion. Your call buddy.