1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Black suit options

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by c55, Aug 20, 2006.

1. DGP

DGP Well-Known Member

I'd wear it with a very rich chocolate brown shirt and some sort of dark charcoal tie (think Armani and you've got it).

2. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

With black suits I like wearing very tame, simple colors for shirt.

And for the Tie, a very bold, sharp color.

For this combo, I found that a subdued color of the tie...think an average of the shirt and tie works well.

Black suits are great. Everyone should own one.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I love a brown suit with black shoes.

I do not believe you and will require photographs as proof [​IMG]

4. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

everyone knows Manton only wears black shoes by day and brown suits by night.

Print ties however may be worn at anytime.

5. lakewolf

lakewolf Well-Known Member

Isn't the point that almost any nice shirt and tie go with a good black suit. You could do some interesting socks and some non-black shoes.

Yes, that is what I do sometimes... shirt and socks lighten up the suit... but it would be hard to put on brown shoes with it...

6. lakewolf

7. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

bah! who wrote that?

8. epa

epa Well-Known Member

There is a good article about the black suit at http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...ck-suit-part-1
    I liked that article. Actually, what is says basically appears to be true. I am one of those who like to dress substantially in black, and I think that part of it is basically about trying to be "hip" (I guess that that is also the reason for why I am not that fond of blue blazers). I work in a quite conservative environment, but with a certain liberty when it comes to dressing. I like to dress in black inter alia because no other men at the company do. However, I am not sure that I am doing the right thing (nevertheless, at present it does not seem to hurt my professional career).
    By the way, some years ago I asked my shirtmaker for a black fabric, and he told me that "Please, do not misunderstand me, Sir, but today, only gypsies wear black shirts". (Explanation for U.S. readers: In Spain, gypsie style is not considered appropriate for business; also, political correctness appears to be a pending issue for Spanish shirtmakers).

9. lakewolf

"Please, do not misunderstand me, Sir, but today, only gypsies wear black shirts". (Explanation for U.S. readers: In Spain, gypsie style is not considered appropriate for business; also, political correctness appears to be a pending issue for Spanish shirtmakers).

Well I have a fitted black shirt made by Guglielminotti "Vintage Classic" model that is a clasic design with a sharp modern cut... and it looks wonderful at night! Me veo como un gitano, macho ! ... no I don't thik so really, but it is very nice... however... I never would wear black on black.. this looks like a priest to me...

10. xerxes1358

xerxes1358 Active Member

Can we start sharing some pictures of black suits worn during nights please. Some black suit examples would be nice.

11. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Can we start sharing some pictures of black suits worn during nights please. Some black suit examples would be nice.

[​IMG]