1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Black suit and black shirt. Please show me the best way to pull off this look at a lounge or martini

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by quaker13, Sep 18, 2012.

1. MarkThomas

MarkThomas Well-Known Member

+1

The "H" Hermes belt screams: "I spent a ton of cash on my Hermes and I plan to give you herpes. Let's dance!"

You'd be less douchey putting your shirt collar on the outside of your jacket lapel.

2. IChen

IChen Well-Known Member

How so...I think the belt doesn't look that bad. Even if it was a belt that has a H from a cheap brand, it doesn't look that bad for casual.

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

Its a big freaking H buckle. Not only is it gauche signage for hermes in an attempt to make everyone think you are rich, its a freaking letter in the middle of your outfit.

I don't think anyone will here will tell you otherwise.

4. IChen

IChen Well-Known Member

I think the H is ugly too. The leather sure is nice but it's not like everyone buys them to show off their wealth or the fact that they have a Hermes item...maybe they actually like the look and want to wear things that stand out.

5. quaker13

quaker13 Well-Known Member

When i posted that pic i wasn't specifically trying to identify a corresponding belt, but rather an all black outfit. I thing the "H" hermes belt is really about somebody wanting a belt with noticeable character rather than opting for the generic garden variety SF approved belt

6. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

The best way to pull it off is to literally pull it off and put on different colors

7. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Avoid this look. Unless you're someone like George Clooney, you can't pull it off and there's no point trying.

8. HughJ

HughJ Well-Known Member

Putting aside that I don't think Timberlake or Clooney are "pulling this off", how much better would each of their outfits be if their shirts introduced some contrast? That's why you should avoid the black shirt, not just because it's a forum faux pas.

9. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

I think you're missing the point, or lots of points. Firstly, the idea that 'character' comes from something so superficial, and secondly that what SF approves is 'generic'. What SF MC approves is quality in materials, care in manufacture, and fit and coherence in look.

SW&D isn't that much different simply more oriented to fashion. However they would also laugh at the black on black with the Hermes belt. Because it makes someone look like a ridiculous brand-whoring Z-list celebrity wannabe. Outside of certain clubs in provincial East and South-East Asian cities, there really isn't a context where this works.

This doesn't mean monochrome can't work. But black is actually the most difficult 'colour' to do monochrome in, unless you're going for the classic rock'n'roll uniform of black jeans, boots and leather jacket - and even then it usually works better with some contrast. Shades of grey would be much more interesting from almost any style perspective.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  10. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

It's very okay for clubbing including the belt. The belt is even more appropriate for clubs coz it attracts the...

11. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

skanks?
    gutter rats?
    gold diggers?

If you need a $700 belt with a huge H on it to attract women, you're doing it wrong.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  12. TomTom

TomTom Well-Known Member

+1 What he said...

13. jeff13007

jeff13007 Well-Known Member

+1 i actually have that belt and I've picked up more without it than with it. Actually come to think about it i don't think I've ever gone home with any while wearing it. Well one actually but that was my gf at the time so it doesn't count..........