1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Black patent leather shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fabienne, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Fabienne

Fabienne Well-Known Member

If I say: "Black patent leather shoes", you say:

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

I say, "do you know where I can find a pair at 95% discount?"

3. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Well-Known Member

Unnecessary, unless I plan to attend a Catholic girl's school.

4. Fabienne

5. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I say: Excellent. But preferably in an oxford, rather than a pump. I also say: I'm trying to find a reason to order a pair, and a new tuxedo.

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

hmmmmm...... I really should get a pair for the odd times I need them, but I hate the thought of a pair of shoes that I wear 2-4 times a year......

7. Fabienne

I always stop and admire black patent leather shoes.  I wonder why they are not worn more often.  Too dressy, I suppose, and a host of other preconceived ideas?

Are they solely for formal occasions? Is it OK on a man attending a wedding who is not the groom?

8. globetrotter

they are fine any time you are wearing a tux, and you are not a waiter

9. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Can one wear them in the evening with a dark suit (say black) even if it isn't black tie? And I don't think only wearing them a few times a year should hold you back, Globetrotter. It sets you apart from those who aren't wearing patent leather.

10. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

I think a pair of highly-polished calf shoes is preferable to the same pair in patent leather.

With regard to weddings, the focus should be on the bride and groom.  As such, I try to dress respectfully while not competing sartorially.  For weddings in different places and times, "respectful dress" can mean different things.

dan

11. globetrotter

it's sort of like getting a couch - before you own a couch you can fit all your stuff in the back of your car. then one day you buy a couch and say "well, to hell with it, I have a couch, if I need to move I need to rent a truck, I might as well get a dinning room table". and that is the end of being a bachlor. I have held down the number of my shoes for years, when I get a pair of patent leather shoes the dam will have burst and I will find myself with a lot of shoes I only wear once or twice a year. [​IMG]

12. Etruscan

Etruscan Well-Known Member

I find black patent leather slip-ons to be perfect for the smart but informal occasion. As a case in point, I wore my (D&G, very plain) pair to dine with friends in their home on New Year's Eve. Otherwise I wore a dull gold silk shirt, untucked, over a black silk long-sleeved tee shirt and flat-front black wool crepe trousers. Calf shoes (even my dancing pumps with the grosgrain bows) wouldn't have been right with the gold silk, I don't believe, and while my black velvet pumps might have worked visually, they are so analogous to slippers that I make a rule only to wear them in my own home.

As some of the other men were in jackets, none in ties, between the shirt and the shoes I felt appropriate to the occasion while being neither overdressed nor underdressed. And that's not a bad way to end, or begin, a year.

13. ViroBono

ViroBono Well-Known Member

Worn only with evening dress in the UK.

14. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

I prefer the pump to the lace-up.

Bennies has a few pairs left.

Allen Edmonds makes what looks like a decent one.

There was a debate on here, a while back, and I don't know that it was resolved, but it concerned which shoe was more proper (and the discusison involved tradition, etc): the patent or the black calf (highly polished) -- I was inclined to believe the latter, though I've now read that patent leather (which was literally patented in the early 20th century I believe), has been around for a few hundred years.

Those who wouldn't wear a patent pump with black-tie are the same who woudl hesistate to wear a pink Brooks button-down oxford.

15. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

I say, black calf looks so much better... Love those babie's shoes, very funny [​IMG]

16. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

I don't know, I'd count myself in the latter (that is, would wear the pink button down) while I don't think I can pull off the pumps. I've seen very few patent leather shoes that don't look 'cheap' to my eyes, including expensive ones. I think many people feel the same. Calls to mind adolescent memories of proms and pimples...<shudder> The sad part is that too many never wear evening clothes outside of prom and their wedding, which is even dwindling fast.

Tom

17. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

(Horace @ 05 Jan. 2005, 07:41) Those who wouldn't wear a patent pump with black-tie are the same who woudl hesistate to wear a pink Brooks button-down oxford.
    I don't know, I'd count myself in the latter (that is, would wear the pink button down) while I don't think I can pull off the pumps. Â I've seen very few patent leather shoes that don't look 'cheap' to my eyes, including expensive ones. Â I think many people feel the same. Â Calls to mind adolescent memories of proms and pimples...<shudder> Â The sad part is that too many never wear evening clothes outside of prom and their wedding, which is even dwindling fast. Tom
    But did you see that pair of EG patents that were on ebay? Someone posted the link to the auction from this site. I thought, well, there's a pair that look quite good.

18. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

Missed 'em, I'll take a look. I guess around here I should add a modifier for Grenson Masterpieces: &quot;moderately&quot; expensive.

Tom

19. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

l say flame Johnny boy. But l must resist so Steve does not get pissed. Bugger it. The shooman. [​IMG] P.S: l must live to fight another day on the health forum. My decipals need my much needed input. [​IMG]