1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Black linen pants...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VMan, Dec 23, 2003.

1. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I realize it may be silly to make a thread for this simple little question, but tonight I picked up a nice pair of black linen pants at Marshalls for a good price, but I've got a few questions.

First off, the pants are pretty casual, flat-front and straight-leg with about a 10-11" leg opening on the bottom. No cargo pockets or anything, and they have a regular waist with belt loops, so no 'island casual' string tie waist'. I am wondering two things primarily.

1) Since the material is linen, is it only appropriate to wear them during spring/summer? I live in the north so the climate isn't exactly tropical. Its about 15 degrees right now.

2) What would look good? Any ideas as far as colors/styles? They aren't dress pants by any means, so I'd be going for a casual look. I was thinking a burnt orange linen button-down (short sleeved) or perhaps an untucked dress shirt with some nice texture to compliment the linen.

As always, thanks for the responses.

Eric

2. hermes

hermes Well-Known Member

yes in a northern climate, wear linen only in spring and summer (and early fall if still warm)

with black linen pants, i find a white or very colourful linen (or cotton) camp style shirt looks best - avoid button downs, it just doesn't mesh style wise in my opinion - the other option is a nice high quality white long sleeved dress shirt, untucked

3. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

I would pair them with some lightweight, pima cotton polos (Ralph Lauren does these well). As Hermes said, a nicely fitted white dress shirt, untucked, looks good- but it needs to look good untucked, which many do not.