1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Black is black

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by greg, Jul 11, 2002.

1. greg

greg Active Member

I just bought a nice black cotton shirt from Club Monaco that can be dressed down and up. I intend to wear it a lot to justify the px. Short of having it dry-cleaned everytime I use it, is there another way I can keep it from fading when I wash it? I remember an old Oprah episode that letting it sit in a solution of vinegar and water makes the color more vivid and less liable to fade. True? Any ideas would be so appreciated.

2. pstoller

pstoller Well-Known Member

To minimize fading, you can wash it in cold water with Woolite Dark, their new formulation for dark/black clothing, and hang to dry (out of direct sunlight) rather than using a dryer. A gentle cycle would probably also help prevent premature fading. Of course, washing all your black garments together makes sense, too.

3. Sylph

Sylph Member

I have found the vinegar dye-fixing trick to work well when I dye things, not sure how useful it would be on newly purchased things. A more useful trick for me is to re-dye black things in my wash machine (with vinegar, a cup a load) if they fade on me. Follow the directions on the dye package.

Of course this is only for things that can survive machine wash.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  4. emidyl

emidyl Well-Known Member

I have heard the use of black tea will also keep the colours deep