1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Black (charcoal?) pin strip

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by toplel, May 22, 2016.

1. toplel

toplel Well-Known Member

I dropped off a donation at Salvation Army & got a gift card so decided I'd look around. Couldn't resist buying the suit below.

The problem is - it's arguably black - and I do want it for work. However, it doesn't seem "stark" to me, maybe because of the pin strip.

That's it below, with a black undershirt inserted for contrast. Accurate color representation is notoriously hard in pictures but I did my best, there is some direct sun in the first picture. When I put my charcoal suit alongside, this one does appear black.

Viable or not so much? Worst case I'll just re-donate it back to Salvation Army, no big deal.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. SGTROCK

SGTROCK Active Member

If the fit is good and the quality is good you may be able to use it at funerals or court. I picked up a brand new Samuelson in black with grey subdued stripes. I work in government so I will use the suit for meetings. That being said I will probably never buy another because charcoal grey does everything a black suit does but better. I would not put a lot of tailoring dollars into it, for sure.

3. toplel

toplel Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone would say the pinstripes make it marginally more acceptable for business use... [​IMG]