1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bit o' fun

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by T4phage, Jan 14, 2004.

1. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

Some American friends dropped by and the topic of "Metrosexuals" popped up. Pretty amusing discussion. What do you people think of the term? Do you think it applies? Anyhow, here is a link to a funny quiz "Just how Metrosexual one can be" http://www.rooshlog.com/quiz/quiz.cgi?quiz I scored an 8.

2. T4phage

3. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

i scored a 17. (possible future metrosexual) in my defence, i don't see anything feminine about meditation, although i can see the case for yoga. and i like the movie 'american psycho' because it was funny, not because i identified with the guy. i'll take the test again next year to see if i've converted. [​IMG]

4. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Well-Known Member

I have yet to meet anyone who describes himself or likes to be described as a metrosexual. I resist the term vigorously, even though, admittedly, I probably fit the description.

5. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I joined T4Phage with an 8 (out of 50)

6. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

I scored a 15. Entertaining? Yes. Annoying? Yes. I think I gained about 8 points for living near San Francisco and hanging out in the Castro with, shock and gasp, a REAL gay man (and two girls. FWIW, women love gay neighborhoods for some unknown reason). I've always wondered what that community thought about the term metrosexual...

Thanks T4phage, it was better than Cats or the magic 8-ball.

7. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member

ummm. I scored a 25 out of 50. Oops. Okay, I admit it, I am probably a "metrosexual". On the other hand, I have tattoos covering both arms almost completely, and I was a professional kickboxer less than five years ago. That has to count for something..

-Tom

8. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Well-Known Member

9. naturlaut

naturlaut Well-Known Member

You guys are making me embarrass... I don't think I am in any way feminine, but I scored 31, and still don't really get what a Metrosexual is.  I mean, I know what it is, but am I really one?

For example, I think it's natural to moisturize (hey, both NY and HK is pretty dry in winter times), put makeup (when I need to appear infront of an audience), live in an urban area, get quality hair products like shampoo and gel, own pairs of boxer briefs (don't tell me you guys only have one.) or watch American Psycho (and you're telling me you don't?).  I don't think any of those activities are restricted for a homosexual guy.  It's a life style rather than a definition of sexual orientation.  Oh well. By the way, I don't watch Sex and the City.

On the other hand, me and my girlfriend is in a constant see-who-has-a-bigger-wardrobe competition.  Especially in the shoe department.

10. vero_group

vero_group Well-Known Member

14. I've never seen American Psycho. In fact, I haven't been inside a movie theater in seven years...

11. Pink22m

Pink22m Well-Known Member

I scored a 24 on the quiz, and I am proud of it. Â In fact, in one of my college courses, my professor asked us to write down some information about ourselves on an index card (in addition to writing down our names, phone numbers, and previous Sociology classes taken). Â The last thing he had us write down on the index card was to describe something unique about yourself. Â Although somewhat apprehensive at first, I confidently wrote, "I consider myself a metrosexual." Â The next thing you know, he will ask us to introduce ourselves and say to the class, "will the metrosexual please stand up" [​IMG] Seriously though, I think it is a big compliment, especially since I pride myself in not feeling like I must conform to traditional gender male stereotypes, and I say this only because many of the activities of myself, and other metrosexuals, would probably be considered gay by some people. Â But as I said, I don't care about perpetuating lame gender stereotypes, and I take pride in knowing that I can be myself and not worry about others thinking I am a homosexual or something.

12. T4phage

13. T4phage

Originally posted by Norcaltransplant:
    I lived in the Bay Area too, specifically Berkeley for undergrad, and UCSF and CAL for grad school. I think the Bay Area (specifically San Francisco) is one of the most refined places in the States.

I've never heard of the term "Metrosexual" until I read a comment about it in Esquire and from my American friends. The term seems to generate strong feelings from all quarters. From what I have read, it is more of a lifestyle rather than a sexual orientation. The closest term I can think of is narcissism.

It seems to have taken off in the U.S, with shows like "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy", which in my opinion seems to have been inspired by the BBC's "How not to dress", which is hosted by two women.

14. aybojs

aybojs Well-Known Member

scored an 18, but you know what? I absolutely HATE that term, and if worse comes to worse, I bet I could drink any of you guys under the table [​IMG] p.s. I'm a little under the weather now, but man did I finish an obnoxious final today [​IMG]

15. Pink22m

Pink22m Well-Known Member

I am from the San Francisco area, and I would have to agree with T4 that it is one of the most refined places in the United States (but then again, I am bias because I live there [​IMG] ). But I think T4 touched on an important point, which is that it is really a lifestyle, and not a particular sexuality. I first heard the term not more then 6 or 7 months ago. It has come into the spotlight with shows such as "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," but many still have never heard the term. I actually looked in my dictionary to see if I could find it (a recently purchased Oxford American College Dictionary), but I didn't have any luck.

16. Nick M

Nick M Well-Known Member

I scored 11, and I think it's a pretty dumb term, given that it's just a long-winded way of saying 'guy that looks after himself' or, at the extreme end, 'narcissist'. The questions on the quiz were pretty arbitrary, I thought. If I recall, the journalist who coined the term has since written a second article apologizing for it. As he well should... Â [​IMG]

17. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

I'm an "8". I had a good laugh.

18. banksmiranda

An amusing article: A Tribute to Real Men I really hate the term "metrosexual." The term "dandy" is enough.

19. Nick M

Nick M Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Maddox - he tells it like it is. And he's a pirate, and everything, which is cool.

20. banksmiranda

Yes, many people seem to be overly "politically correct" these days, trying too hard to sugarcoat things. It gets annoying. ESPN(I think Page 2) had an article some time back on what politically correct football scores would be like: The New York large people defeated the Green Bay meat industry workers... A friend sent me this link recently: http://ct.wacc.cc/DumbingDown.htm