• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best/Worst Bang for the Buck

flyguy7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kagemusha
True...but a tailor can make a shirt fit BETTER than BoO for the right amount of money. To say that it's '******* stupid' to buy cheaper stuff and take to a tailor is just wrong. If I have $100 for a shirt......I'd rather buy a $50 shirt and pay a tailor $20 to make it almost perfect, rather than have a $100 shirt that has a little bit to be desired. Sure the fabric may be better, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't fit you snug in the right places.

To be honest I don't like the look of casual shirts with darts or any alterations-- I'll pay more for the shirt that's cut right off the rack

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
hard to knock off a plaid shirt dummy.

I hate how swimming pools knock off lakes and the ocean.

yeah, must be a coincidence LOL. nevermind they were released same-season, look exactly the same, and JC has a long history of cherry-picking from the designers du jour

also shrewd analogy, definitely pertinent

Kagemusha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by flyguy7
To be honest I don't like the look of casual shirts with darts or any alterations-- I'll pay more for the shirt that's cut right off the rack

Impossible for me with a 42" chest...gotta have darts to make it hug the hips.

Also......I don't understand some of your logic.....a GOOD tailor can cut it JUST like any brand you want.......do you think some of these places have magical tailors who do cuts that nobody else can?

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
calling $250 a quarter of a grand is pretty good. I need you arouynd when I am making offers to employees.

Haha, putting prices in relative terms is an effective way to make arguments more persuasive! Nothing wrong with that
smile.gif

And boy, this thread sure turned ugly fast

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kagemusha
True...but a tailor can make a shirt fit BETTER than BoO for the right amount of money. To say that it's '******* stupid' to buy cheaper stuff and take to a tailor is just wrong. If I have $100 for a shirt......I'd rather buy a $50 shirt and pay a tailor $20 to make it almost perfect, rather than have a $100 shirt that has a little bit to be desired. Sure the fabric may be better, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't fit you snug in the right places.

Ok, Cool the Kid.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
CP sneakers worst bang for the buck.

Lately I'd agree and I love my CPs, but they just keep raising retail and really adding nothing.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, j crew is constantly ripping off brands only people on sf buy.

Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu
yeah, must be a coincidence LOL. nevermind they were released same-season, look exactly the same, and JC has a long history of cherry-picking from the designers du jour

also shrewd analogy, definitely pertinent

Knisse

Reaction score
yes, j crew is constantly ripping off brands only people on sf buy.

You always seem so angry... Dont you have wife and kids, and still your always ripping on something pointless.. You got it made, why continue with your streak?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why the **** not? this is what happens when your dog needs to **** at 5am.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu
Yep, Gitman shirts are great quality but they're only about $50 cheaper than BOO. Plus, like you said, they run a little longer. Also, another thing - BOO has some pretty good patterns/designs. Yeah, the schoolboy aesthetic might not be for everyone, but I happen to actually like it

I think J. Crew have some of the most overpriced shirts. You're overpaying for what is basically a knock-off of better brands:

Z4aSQ.jpg

2mgrU.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with the J Crew shirts. I have some and they fit well on me at least. Now sure the quality isn't the best but I don't want a shirt that will be lasting me for 10 years anyways. Would look weird taking a picture 10 years from now and then seeing a picture from 10 years ago where I'm wearing the same shirt.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Uniqlo is the best bang for the buck—although, their trousers never fit me as they are vanity sizes! ¬.¬ I think a lot of stores, Americans use, like J.Crew, can be a little over-priced—although, I like a lot of their stuff. H&M and Topman are, pretty much, the worse shops out there! Topman has terrible cuts, styles, colours, etc, etc and H&M have shoddy stitching, etc! Fich that!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads