1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best toothpaste?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by blank, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Fashion Savant

Fashion Savant Well-Known Member

Just chew on a piece of wood charcoal. The carbon will clean your teeth like nothing else can. The taste isn't too pleasant though.

2. The Deacon

The Deacon Well-Known Member

Ultra brite but don't let it get in yer eye, you'll be wearin' a pirate patch!

3. Young Scrappy

Young Scrappy Well-Known Member

Tom's of Maine with Flouride

They are certain ingredients you don't want in toothpaste. They are abrasive. Baking soda is very abrasive. You should only use it when you haven't brushed in a while which should be never.

4. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

i like aqua fresh. been using it for years.

all that tartar control/baking soda/peroxide type toothpastes, irritate and strip the lining of my mouth. i cant use them.

5. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that the medieval Spaniards used to brush their teeth with "stale urine". Not sure how that worked, or how urine goes stale (non-midstream, I take it?).

Violinist was posting about some $20 toothpaste he got really defensive about -- Marvis, perhaps?

Where can one buy Lavoris?

6. HomerJ

HomerJ Well-Known Member

i like aqua fresh. been using it for years. all that tartar control/baking soda/peroxide type toothpastes, irritate and strip the lining of my mouth. i cant use them.
    Sodium Pyrophosphate. I have the same sloughing problem with tartar control toothpaste.

7. rxcats

rxcats Well-Known Member

I am currently using Crest Whitening Expressions Vanilla Mint. Mainly I use it because I like the taste. I also use Listerine Vanilla Mint mouthwash for the same reason. The stronger medicinal mint-type mouthwashes are nasty tasting to me. I brush with a Sonicare toothbrush.

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

I used Toms a month or so back. Right now I'm using sensodyne. Dunno if I will switch back or not.

9. RustyRyan

RustyRyan Well-Known Member

My favorite is Marvis Jasmin Mint but it's not cheap and since it's not availabe locally to me, ordering it online is a bit of a hassle. I've tried Tom's Citrus Mango and while it tastes great, it doesn't make my mouth feel "clean".

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I bought mine at Big Lots. Yes, Big Lots, the closeout store. Each full-sized tube cost $1.50, and came with a free toothbrush. That's a bargain bonanza. I have four stacked under my bathroom sink.

You can, however, get it at Rite-Aid and other such chains.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I always liked the taste of Pepsodent.

12. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Crest w/ Scope. I don't know if it is "best" for you teeth in terms of ingedients, but I love the taste. Being that it tastes so good I never avoid brushing, that has to count for something.

+1 - this is pretty good stuff.

13. repressedm

repressedm Well-Known Member

Just chew on a piece of wood charcoal. The carbon will clean your teeth like nothing else can. The taste isn't too pleasant though.

Flame?

14. tundrafour

tundrafour Well-Known Member

I've been using Sea Fresh toothpaste by Jason for about a year or so. I was skeptical of the taste and quality at first but it's really grown on me. I don't think I'd go back to Crest, Colgate, etc. now. I don't really like the Tom's stuff, though. My teeth never feel clean afterwards.

15. esquire.

esquire. Well-Known Member

Colgate Total has Gantrez which allows other ingredients in the toothpaste, namely Triclosan, to remain on the teeth for the rest of the day and protect your teeth which is not necessarily true for other products.

But, Colgate Total doesn't do the best job for stain removal. For that, you might want to turn to other Colgate products such as Colgate Luminous. Or, Ultra Brite. But, the trade-off is that these other products will not be as effective against tartar, plaque, etc.. as Colgate Total.

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Marvis is quite nice but also quite pricey in the U.S. The old-fashioned tubes are also quite nice-looking.

17. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

I bought mine at Big Lots. Yes, Big Lots, the closeout store. Each full-sized tube cost $1.50, and came with a free toothbrush. That's a bargain bonanza. I have four stacked under my bathroom sink.

You can, however, get it at Rite-Aid and other such chains.

[​IMG] Doc, you are a real bargain hunter/cheap assed bastard!

BTW, Big Lots have some real treasures for those willing to look.

18. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that the medieval Spaniards used to brush their teeth with "stale urine". Not sure how that worked, or how urine goes stale (non-midstream, I take it?).

Violinist was posting about some $20 toothpaste he got really defensive about -- Marvis, perhaps?

I remember reading that both romans and chinese used urine as toothpaste at different points, but I don't know if that is true.

19. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

For an inexpensive whitening toothpaste that you can safely use regularly, try something like Dr. Collins All White Whitening Toothpaste.

20. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

I use plain Colgate. I find that the special whitening or other additives irritate my gums slightly.

I haven't had a cavity since childhood, even though I did not see a dentist from age 5 until 25. No fillings whatsoever.