1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best toothpaste...

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by JurassicJon, Mar 26, 2003.

1. JurassicJon

JurassicJon Active Member

What toothpaste do you use, whitening or not? I use Arm & Hammer Advance Whitening and it's great...

2. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Just recently began using Crest dual-action whitening. The paste comes out of a square which is subdivided into four smaller sections that dispense alternating green and white. It also has a cool flip top instead of a screw on. Also, best toothpaste I've ever tasted in my life. Kind of like white tic-tacs.
    I guess thats about the extent to which I care for my teeth... just make sure the toothpaste looks cool and tastes good.

3. GQ Docter

GQ Docter Member

According to the toothpaste reviews by Consumer Reports, Dental Resource, British Dental Association, the general consensus is that Colgate Total is the best toothpaste. It was the first toothpaste on the market to include the antibacterial ingredient triclosan, which has been proven effective for fighting gum disease (gingivitis). Total contains another ingredient - gantrez - that allows triclosan to remain active between brushings, even after you eat or drink.

Other good toothpaste's are Colgate Baking Soda and Peroxide Whitening with Tartar Control (which I use) and, Crest Extra Whitening with Tartar Protection.

It's important to brush for the recommended two minutes because if you brush for any less time, the fluoride will not take effect.

Keep brushin',

Ari

4. taktikz

taktikz Well-Known Member

Can someone say spam?

5. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Well-Known Member

This thread is funny.

6. TheClearanceGuy

TheClearanceGuy Well-Known Member

7. forsbergacct2000

forsbergacct2000 Well-Known Member

I like Colgate, but I will use almost any brand in a pinch.

8. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

I use Marvis or nothing at all!!!

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

What toothpaste do you use, whitening or not? I use Arm & Hammer Advance Whitening and it's great...

I had been using just that for some time but switched to Crest Pro-Health a while back. EVen my dentist marvelled at how good my teeth looked.

10. Shakko

Shakko New Member

I love Arm & Hammer Advance Whitening.. but I like anything with peroxide. The regular colgate/crest stuff are okay, but I feel like they are too flavorful and don't really "clean" the teeth as much as the arm and hammer stuff.

11. bachbeet

bachbeet Well-Known Member

I have to use sensitive toothpaste. And, Colgate is the only one which hasn't pulled that sly trick of reducing the amount in the package yet increasing the price. So, I use Colgate sensitive plus whitening.

12. snailone

snailone Member

therabreath... seriously the best stuff out there. I use their toothpaste, mouthwash and zox breathmints and my breath has never been fresher. no cavities as of late either

i started out with the trial kit for like 10 bucks... comes with everything. try walgreens or walmart or whatever they have in your neck of the woods. tried it for a week and never went back to "regular toothpaste" ie colgate, crest etc etc.

Also, if any of you guys get tonsil stones.. those little white balls that you cough up every once in a while that stink like the plague... therabreath has absolutely gotten rid of them for me. I haven't had one since i started using it.

13. DRANKLIVE

DRANKLIVE Member

What about Ultra Brite?

Where I live, it's .97 cents a tube.

14. Young Scrappy

Young Scrappy Well-Known Member

15. Berticus

Berticus Well-Known Member

therabreath... seriously the best stuff out there. I use their toothpaste, mouthwash and zox breathmints and my breath has never been fresher. no cavities as of late either

i started out with the trial kit for like 10 bucks... comes with everything. try walgreens or walmart or whatever they have in your neck of the woods. tried it for a week and never went back to "regular toothpaste" ie colgate, crest etc etc.

Also, if any of you guys get tonsil stones.. those little white balls that you cough up every once in a while that stink like the plague... therabreath has absolutely gotten rid of them for me. I haven't had one since i started using it.

Therabreath was something I was considering. Went with CloSys instead, both toothpaste and mouthwash. I've completely forgetting about Therabreath. Next time I'm in CVS or Walgreens, even better, I'll have to pick up some Therabreath mouthwash and toothpaste. Or I might order it online seeing as how I may be due in for a new Tung brush and gel...

Instead of using whitening toothpaste, why not just get some trays and carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide? Those are actually for long term whitening solutions, as opposed to whitening toothpastes.

16. RedLetterDay

RedLetterDay Well-Known Member

I recently switched over to sensitive toothpaste (specifically Colgate) because I've been using Opalescence quite a bit lately, but other than that I can't really say I've ever noticed any difference among the probably 20 or 30 different brands I've used over the years. I think it really comes down to just finding one that you prefer the taste of most -- it's fairly reasonable to assume that the whole "whitening toothpaste" concept is largely a consumer marketing tactic.

17. Casey

Casey Well-Known Member

I use Arm & Hammer, I'm quite pleased with it.

18. Jacques Cousteau

Jacques Cousteau Well-Known Member

tom's of maine

+1.

19. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Eh, I just use Ultrabrite from Walmart for a dollar a tube.

I like the orange foamy Aqua Fresh best, but it's way too expensive.

I have an Oral-B Triumph, so I don't think it matters what kind of paste I use, I'm still better off than someone using whatever fancy toothpaste with a cheap, manually operated, analogue, 20th century toothbrush [​IMG]

20. bengee

bengee New Member

Has anyone tried the Liquid Calcium in the Arm and Hammer toothpaste? Intriguing idea.........that there's liquid calcium to fill in thin enamel, etc. Just wonder if it's really true....