1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best tailor in Boston area? any reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pg600rr, Oct 9, 2008.

1. furo

furo Well-Known Member

From the posts I've seen in this thread thus far, it looks like the top two contenders are:

• Mario's in Chestnut Hill
    • Rodolfo's on Huntington Ave

Can anyone comment on the prices these two charge for basic alterations such as:

• Hems on trousers
    • Shortening jacket sleeves
    • Waist suppression on a jacket
    • Shirt alteration (slimming sides and shortening sleeves)

2. strikezoom

strikezoom Active Member

ok, I bought a few barba and Isaia shirts from SF and shopthefinest. All of them need to have sleeve shortened by 2-2.5 inches (I have a 33 arm). I went to Jack's after reading this thread thinking he wouldn't mess up my shirt like I have before.
    I asked him whether he tapers the sleeve because shortening by 2 inches can make the sleeve look blousy. He looked annoyed and told me he would not do that and any shortening by moving the placket will cost me a whopping 75 dollars! Then he told me to find a shirt maker to do this.
    I'm very displeased with Jack, he not has a bad attitude, but $75 for shortening sleeves? Is it insane or it's just Boston? ( I moved here not too long ago).
    Anyone had any experience with shortening sleeves in Boston? How much am I expected to pay to get the sleeve done right?

3. Bartolo

Bartolo Well-Known Member

ok, I bought a few barba and Isaia shirts from SF and shopthefinest. All of them need to have sleeve shortened by 2-2.5 inches (I have a 33 arm). I went to Jack's after reading this thread thinking he wouldn't mess up my shirt like I have before.
    I asked him whether he tapers the sleeve because shortening by 2 inches can make the sleeve look blousy. He looked annoyed and told me he would not do that and any shortening by moving the placket will cost me a whopping 75 dollars! Then he told me to find a shirt maker to do this.
    I'm very displeased with Jack, he not has a bad attitude, but $75 for shortening sleeves? Is it insane or it's just Boston? ( I moved here not too long ago).
    Anyone had any experience with shortening sleeves in Boston? How much am I expected to pay to get the sleeve done right?

I've not dealt with Jack myself, but I would interpret this as him simply not wanting to do it.

4. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

I've been using Rodolfo on Huntington lately and his work has been stellar. He slimmed down 8 Borrelli shirts for me (darted as they fit pretty well OTR) and he completely re-cut 5 RLPL shirts for me re-doing the seems like original. These shirts now fit better then my bespoke shirts at half the cost. All the sleeves were shortened and plackets moved up. He also re-cut the shoulders on a RLPL sportcoat of mine by about a half inch on each side (this wasn't cheap).

He doesn't do working button holes though so I go to Rizzo for that. I prefer Rodolfo slimming my jackets the way I want and then having Rizzo finish the sleeves. Rodolfo will do as told when it comes to pants break and will not impose his opinion on you if you know what you like.

5. horton

horton Well-Known Member

Vinny the tailor is good (on Milk Street). He is from Naples. I'd use him for anything you want slimmed (he used to do bespoke but no longer)

Rizzos is also good. His style is more Milanese.

6. dropout5

dropout5 Well-Known Member

the in house tailor at j press in cambridge is very good. does working button holes, complex alterations, etc. cash or check only though.

7. AJL

AJL Well-Known Member

I've been using Rodolfo on Huntington lately and his work has been stellar. He slimmed down 8 Borrelli shirts for me (darted as they fit pretty well OTR) and he completely re-cut 5 RLPL shirts for me re-doing the seems like original. These shirts now fit better then my bespoke shirts at half the cost. All the sleeves were shortened and plackets moved up. He also re-cut the shoulders on a RLPL sportcoat of mine by about a half inch on each side (this wasn't cheap). He doesn't do working button holes though so I go to Rizzo for that. I prefer Rodolfo slimming my jackets the way I want and then having Rizzo finish the sleeves. Rodolfo will do as told when it comes to pants break and will not impose his opinion on you if you know what you like.
    Funny, my initial experience with Rodolfo was that he kept trying to lengthen the break on my pants and I kept telling him shorter. We finally reached a happy medium (meaning I was happy) but it was not without some effort on my part. Perhaps I was not as firm as you and initially welcomed his opinion. I will return this week some time with a firmer resolve. He does good work though and I was quite happy with the two suits and eight pair of pants he nipped, hemmed and cuffed. (Come to think of it, I had to lean on him to give me 1.75" cuffs; he wanted to do 1.5).

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

I thought that this thread would be a good place for this video.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

9. jamesbond

Funny, my initial experience with Rodolfo was that he kept trying to lengthen the break on my pants and I kept telling him shorter. We finally reached a happy medium (meaning I was happy) but it was not without some effort on my part. Perhaps I was not as firm as you and initially welcomed his opinion. I will return this week some time with a firmer resolve. He does good work though and I was quite happy with the two suits and eight pair of pants he nipped, hemmed and cuffed. (Come to think of it, I had to lean on him to give me 1.75" cuffs; he wanted to do 1.5).

Hmm, exact opposit IME. I just told him I wanted no-break and 1.75" cuffs and he went to work. I asked him about sloppy breaking trous and he expounded that customers like myself who know exactly what they want are easier to work with and that its just a matter of getting things exactly perfect, whereas it is much harder to deal with people who aren't sure and ask him what he thinks and then switch their mind all the time.

10. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

I have been using Le Couturier in Cambridge since Benny Ho retired. I was initially very pleased, as the results were good, and he was much cheaper than Benny. But the last job I took him was completely botched: 3 Armani shirts that were butchered so badly I had to give them away.

So I am looking for a new tailor. From the advice in this thread, I think I will give Jack's a try.

I've been going to Le Couturier for all of my shirt sleeve shortening and pant hemming, and I have to say that the work is VERY inconsistent. They've botched several alterations (badly), but I've gone back simply because they always fix their mistakes, no question asked.

The last mistake was the last straw, however- a badly mangled shirt cuff. I have a feeling the poor work is being done by one of his assistants and not by Dick himself....

11. puritansnowman

puritansnowman Active Member

the in house tailor at j press in cambridge is very good. does working button holes, complex alterations, etc. cash or check only though.

qft. Tad is an extremely competent (and clever) tailor. I'm one of those obnoxious skinny lanky types, and for certain garments I've brought in, he has given me both the 'proper' option (how it should be done perfectly), but will not be enough of an alternation based on fabric limitations, and what he's occasionally called 'cheating' which will bring the fit on point, at a minor aesthetic expense (ie adding fabric to the inside of a sleeve when there wasn't enough lining to reach where I needed the sleeve to be let out to.

He is, however, quite slow/absentminded if you don't call and remind him about timeframe (in which case he is great). I once left a shirt there for six weeks, asking for it to be ready in two. It was not ready in six. However, when I pointed that out, it was done in mere hours.

YMMV, but if you're not in a rush, definitely worth the quality work and cheery demeanor. He also does handsewn buttonholes for $20/per

12. pred02

pred02 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Mario does working button holes? If so how much to expect per suit/jacket?

Thanks!

13. Icarus

Icarus Well-Known Member

14. Metlin

Metlin Well-Known Member

Well, I've had Jack hem my pants and take in my jackets before, and he was fairly reasonable.

However, I just asked him how much it would cost to shorten the sleeves of BB shirts, and he quoted $45/shirt?! They don't even have sleeve buttons, and I was quite surprised, since he's shortened jacket sleeves for about $30 in the past year.

Any recommendations other than Rizzo's? Last time I talked to them, they quoted $75/shirt.

15. jamesbond

Well, I've had Jack hem my pants and take in my jackets before, and he was fairly reasonable.

However, I just asked him how much it would cost to shorten the sleeves of BB shirts, and he quoted $45/shirt?! They don't even have sleeve buttons, and I was quite surprised, since he's shortened jacket sleeves for about $30 in the past year.

Any recommendations other than Rizzo's? Last time I talked to them, they quoted $75/shirt.

Joe (Rizzo's) won't even work on shirt's. Not sure if they quoted you on jacket sleeve shortening?

16. Metlin

Metlin Well-Known Member

Joe (Rizzo's) won't even work on shirt's. Not sure if they quoted you on jacket sleeve shortening?

You're right - I stand corrected. It was for an SC, not a shirt. They refused to do shirts.

17. BostonRogue

BostonRogue New Member

Nobody here has tried Alan Rouleau/Couture on Newbury St.? Hands down the best tailor in the city-I have been here almost 30 years, tried them all and I used to have my clothes made in NY. Met him when he won his first Best of Boston around 1994 and now he is in their Hall of Fame.
    Not sure if he still does alterations to the public but he makes most of my wardrobe and fixes whatever else I buy without a question. He doesn't even own a buttonhole machine-all done old school by hand. He travels a bit but works late and week-ends by appointment. I once met him on a Sunday night at 8 to have him fix some things for me before my flight the next day.
    not cheap but you get what you pay for and he has a really cool showroom.

18. Bcoo

Bcoo New Member

I tried Jerry's Custom Tailoring on Boylston Street to shorten the sleeves on an order from Indochino.

2 weeks, $15, perfect now have the perfect amount of cuff showing.

Almost perfect reviews on Yelp, which is saying something because it's usually the angry people that take the time to complain.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/jerrys-custo...rations-boston

19. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

20. Asch

Asch Well-Known Member

Took a suit today to Jack's in Porter Square. He was very kind, seemed honest, and immediately understood how I wanted the suit modified. He also didn't show any snobbishness about the fact that it's a cheap suit, which I appreciate.

I'll report back when I pick up the suit in a week. I expect the work to be very good, but we'll see.