• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best sushi in NYC

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is 15 East on par with the other top-of-the-line sushi restaurants? I'm weirded it out that it's not owned by a Japanese guy.

dabestspoona

Reaction score
Is 15 East on par with the other top-of-the-line sushi restaurants? I'm weirded it out that it's not owned by a Japanese guy.
Newsflash, most of the well known places are owned by non Japanese people.

Ichimura@brushstroke is owned by David Bouley
Seki himself happens to be chinese I think, Kayakou.
Gari, one of the owners is Chinese.
Jewel Bako is owned by a white guy and korean lady.
Yasuda is owned by a white guy too.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Newsflash, most of the well known places are owned by non Japanese people. Ichimura@brushstroke is owned by David Bouley Seki himself happens to be chinese I think, Kayakou. Gari, one of the owners is Chinese. Jewel Bako is owned by a white guy and korean lady. Yasuda is owned by a white guy too.
I like how you rattle off a bunch of places no one is talking about...Jewel Bako, Brushstroke? We're talking real sushi here man. Even Gari is obviously chain-like and gimmicky. Granted, Yasuda is an anomaly on the list...did Yasuda own it when he was in the States and sell it when he moved back o Japan, or has it always been owned by "a white guy?" Anyway, I went to 15 East today. A bit of a joke, really, The fish isn't even close to some of the top-tier places. I did like that they ground wasabi root at the sushi bar, and the staff was very pleasant. I think their problem is that they focus on simple, traditional sushi but their fish isn't the same level of quality as the top-flight restaurants in NYC.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear this about 15 East. My wife's old (Japanese) boss was a sushi fanatic, and has even eaten at Jiro multiple times, but she swore by 15 East for excellent product.

dabestspoona

Reaction score
I like how you rattle off a bunch of places no one is talking about...Jewel Bako, Brushstroke? We're talking real sushi here man. Even Gari is obviously chain-like and gimmicky. Granted, Yasuda is an anomaly on the list...did Yasuda own it when he was in the States and sell it when he moved back o Japan, or has it always been owned by "a white guy?"

Anyway, I went to 15 East today. A bit of a joke, really, The fish isn't even close to some of the top-tier places. I did like that they ground wasabi root at the sushi bar, and the staff was very pleasant. I think their problem is that they focus on simple, traditional sushi but their fish isn't the same level of quality as the top-flight restaurants in NYC.

Yasuda is just partner, sushi chefs need a money man to pay nyc rents.
Ichimura is very well respected and he is "real sushi." He had his own place in the UES for years before he and Yasuda left Hatsuhana, now he works for Bouley. http://fujiko55.livedoor.biz/archives/52302149.html Might not be a place for you if you dont like aged fish or fermented fish entrails.
Jewel Bako is still very good, not on the same level as some of the top places but still very good. The owner seems to know how to scout talent.
Surprised about 15 East, I went last week and had some excellent kanburi, nodoguro from ishikawa, goma fugu from shimane, and various livers. You rarely see nodoguro even in Tokyo sushi restaurants.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good info but partner equals owner in my book. I may have been unfair to 15 East; I went at lunch and a white guy did my omakase. He was nice and all but nothing stood out.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up doing Sushi of Gari UES a couple times in the past month and enjoyed it more than I expected. They're pretty laid back, and I was pleasantly surprised with the fish quality especially on the sashimi side. I can see the sushi getting boring, since they have their thing and they do it well but how many times do you want a quail egg and fried japanese eggplant on your piece of toro? They do have a standout foie gras piece.

Jayross

Reaction score
I spend most of my year on the west coast, so for the four months or whatever that I'm in NYC, I usually just say **** sushi because it's hella expensive and not very good, at least compared to back home. so nyc, halal carts and cheap pizza all day 'er day.

that said, I still get it occasionally. maybe i'll give some of these recs a shot.

Last edited:

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I spend most of my year on the west coast, so for the four months or whatever that I'm in NYC, I usually just say **** sushi because it's hella expensive and not very good, at least compared to back home. so nyc, halal carts and cheap pizza all day 'er day. that said, I still get it occasionally. maybe i'll give some of these recs a shot.
This is true.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone try Nakazawa, yet? The reviews look good so far. He apparently is a protege of Jiro and is a strict disciple of fish, fish, fish. I'm itching to try Ichimura @ Brushstroke next.

Is Azabu worth a try if I'm a Yasuda guy? I'm concerned there's a drop off.

elevengo

Reaction score
they serve a sashimi with a citrusy sauce and return with the entire fish rack deep fried and salted, which is a crunchy treat.
3.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads