1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best sushi in NYC

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by nahneun, Jan 23, 2011.

1. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

how much less did you walk out with?

2. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

For food? I think $125/person. We may have thrown a special in there.

lefty

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  3. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

not too bad but i guess its relative to what you get

4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

Loved it. I prefer the Tokyo style where the itamame prepares the fish for you (i.e., already applies the sauce), as they do. I did omakase and asked to go exotic, so I had a lot of crazy fish. The scene is definitely hipster, and there were a bunch of guys next to me ordering spicy tuna rolls so you have to deal with that, but otherwise, the head chef obviously knows his stuff. I enjoyed the experience a lot in terms of creativity. The itamame was happy to go into details around the fish, the origin, the history, sauce, etc.

In terms of pure fresh sushi, I put Kuruma, Yasuda, and Sasabune on top. They all have that melt-in-the-mouth quality to the fish. Kuruma has the most cuts of Toro, Yasuda maybe the purest fish, and Sasabune the most taste.

Ushiwakamaru, Seki, and Gari have more creative fish and I'd recommend Ushi the most in terms of quality of this set.

All of the above is top-of-the-line in my book.

I spent about $225 at Ushiwakamaru with one cup of sake, a couple large bottles of water, and edamame on top of the omakase.

5. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  6. SirGrotius

Is 15 East on par with the other top-of-the-line sushi restaurants? I'm weirded it out that it's not owned by a Japanese guy.

7. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

you'll have to tell us

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  8. dabestspoona

dabestspoona Active Member

Newsflash, most of the well known places are owned by non Japanese people.

Ichimura@brushstroke is owned by David Bouley
    Seki himself happens to be chinese I think, Kayakou.
    Gari, one of the owners is Chinese.
    Jewel Bako is owned by a white guy and korean lady.
    Yasuda is owned by a white guy too.

1 person likes this.
  9. SirGrotius

I like how you rattle off a bunch of places no one is talking about...Jewel Bako, Brushstroke? We're talking real sushi here man. Even Gari is obviously chain-like and gimmicky. Granted, Yasuda is an anomaly on the list...did Yasuda own it when he was in the States and sell it when he moved back o Japan, or has it always been owned by "a white guy?" Anyway, I went to 15 East today. A bit of a joke, really, The fish isn't even close to some of the top-tier places. I did like that they ground wasabi root at the sushi bar, and the staff was very pleasant. I think their problem is that they focus on simple, traditional sushi but their fish isn't the same level of quality as the top-flight restaurants in NYC.

10. DeltaGammaVega

DeltaGammaVega Member

11. gomestar

I'm surprised to hear this about 15 East. My wife's old (Japanese) boss was a sushi fanatic, and has even eaten at Jiro multiple times, but she swore by 15 East for excellent product.

12. dabestspoona

dabestspoona Active Member

Yasuda is just partner, sushi chefs need a money man to pay nyc rents.
    Ichimura is very well respected and he is "real sushi." He had his own place in the UES for years before he and Yasuda left Hatsuhana, now he works for Bouley. http://fujiko55.livedoor.biz/archives/52302149.html Might not be a place for you if you dont like aged fish or fermented fish entrails.
    Jewel Bako is still very good, not on the same level as some of the top places but still very good. The owner seems to know how to scout talent.
    Surprised about 15 East, I went last week and had some excellent kanburi, nodoguro from ishikawa, goma fugu from shimane, and various livers. You rarely see nodoguro even in Tokyo sushi restaurants.

13. SirGrotius

Good info but partner equals owner in my book. I may have been unfair to 15 East; I went at lunch and a white guy did my omakase. He was nice and all but nothing stood out.

14. gomestar

well there's your problem

1 person likes this.
  15. SirGrotius

I ended up doing Sushi of Gari UES a couple times in the past month and enjoyed it more than I expected. They're pretty laid back, and I was pleasantly surprised with the fish quality especially on the sashimi side. I can see the sushi getting boring, since they have their thing and they do it well but how many times do you want a quail egg and fried japanese eggplant on your piece of toro? They do have a standout foie gras piece.

16. Jayross

Jayross Active Member

I spend most of my year on the west coast, so for the four months or whatever that I'm in NYC, I usually just say fuck sushi because it's hella expensive and not very good, at least compared to back home. so nyc, halal carts and cheap pizza all day 'er day.

that said, I still get it occasionally. maybe i'll give some of these recs a shot.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  17. gomestar

18. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

This is true.

1 person likes this.
  19. SirGrotius

Anyone try Nakazawa, yet? The reviews look good so far. He apparently is a protege of Jiro and is a strict disciple of fish, fish, fish. I'm itching to try Ichimura @ Brushstroke next.

Is Azabu worth a try if I'm a Yasuda guy? I'm concerned there's a drop off.

20. elevengo

elevengo New Member

they serve a sashimi with a citrusy sauce and return with the entire fish rack deep fried and salted, which is a crunchy treat.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013