1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best Suits under $500

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A. Jones, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Bruiser

Bruiser Member

I'm no expert, but I have been very pleased with the Benjamin line of suits offered by ehaberdasher. I have two suits in the Maestro cut and they fit me very well. I have also received a lot of comments on the fit and quality of my Benjamin's from others. It's a lot of bang for your buck. You can't go wrong with a Benjamin.

2. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Well-Known Member

Honestly, this is what I'm leaning toward, despite SF's inexplicable contempt for JAB. And there is a store in the city, and I like being able to try on the suits.
    I honestly don't think there is that much contempt for JAB here; the consensus seems to be that they are good for the money when on sale (which is 90% of the time).
    You might want to check out "The Wizard of AAHS" on ebay. I got a Marco Valentino suit from for $280 shipped (dual vents, nice lightweight tropical wool, flat front pants, subtle pick stitching, half canvassed, athletic/slim fit).
    I like the quality/value of the MVs, but the rise on the trousers is really low. I'm not sure it's a great choice for a larger gentleman.

3. politico

politico Well-Known Member

Polo by Corneliani. Best bang for buck. I own like 10 of them. Price averaged like $200 new.

Where do you get them at this price?

4. ff4marvel

ff4marvel Well-Known Member

Where do you get them at this price?
    Would also be interested to know this

5. bunnyoswaldo

bunnyoswaldo Well-Known Member

The best suit for under $500 is a used suit. Figure your size range and wait...look here and on the bay. Find something well made, capable of bein altered....I bought a Borrelli off the bay for 500 bones including shipping.....spent $125 on a tailor and now I am golden

6. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

Tom Ford at Century 21

I hear the Century 21 in Oklahoma City rocks.

7. laughwithm3

laughwithm3 Well-Known Member

Go try on a RLBL in 44L at Saks or a RL store. If it fits, there are a bunch on ebay last time I checked with buy it now prices around $500 or 600. Since you won't be paying tax cost will be the same as buying a $450-500 at retail. And you will be getting a beautiful, fully lined, fashion forward $1900 suit that is definitely SF approved. Provided it fits you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2150-Polo-Ralph-...ht_3409wt_1127

RLBL is slim cut, the 44L is more of a 42R/L, he probably needs to size up to 46L

just hang around B&S for a bit, larger sized suits usually go for relatively low when they show up

8. beowolf

beowolf Well-Known Member

You might want to check out "The Wizard of AAHS" on ebay. I got a Marco Valentino suit from for $280 shipped (dual vents, nice lightweight tropical wool, flat front pants, subtle pick stitching, half canvassed, athletic/slim fit).

I would easily categorize this suit as being in the same class as the Zegna's and Hickey Freeman suits I saw at the Barneys Outlet.

Another option worth considering are the "Benjamin" suits offered at www.ehaberdasher.com. They run around $500 and the suits actually have a full canvas construction from what I hear.

+1 for the Wizard of AAHS suits. I ordered two suits, very well made for the price and great service. In fact, I thinking of buying another this week.

9. vincerich

vincerich Well-Known Member

Go try on a RLBL in 44L at Saks or a RL store. If it fits, there are a bunch on ebay last time I checked with buy it now prices around $500 or 600. Since you won't be paying tax cost will be the same as buying a $450-500 at retail. And you will be getting a beautiful, fully lined, fashion forward $1900 suit that is definitely SF approved. Provided it fits you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2150-Polo-Ralph-...ht_3409wt_1127

Clearly, you don't know what he should be looking for.

Who has had experience with the "Benjamin" suit? I'm interested.

10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

I'm 6'2" and currently 200#. I find that most "slim fit" suits will not look good on a guy who has a good amount of muscle mass, broad shoulders, and fairly narrow waists. The shoulders and chest never fit correctly. Even sizing up to a 44 RLBL, it didn't look right.

I suggest going for something that is trim, such as Polo RL or E. Zegna, but not trendy slim. I find these to fit me perfectly in the shoulders, chest, bicep, and quad areas; however I HAVE to take them to my tailor to get the jacket suppressed at the waist and pants waist taken in (sometimes tapered at the hem too).

I do have a Wizard of Ahh's *EDIT* M Valentino suit which is actually pretty nice for the price. I find the fit to be similar to Polo RL.

11. politico

politico Well-Known Member

I still want to know where to get PRL suits for $200.

12. bigasahouse

bigasahouse Well-Known Member

+1 for the Wizard of AAHS suits. I ordered two suits, very well made for the price and great service. In fact, I thinking of buying another this week.

How much do you offer and get them for? Do you get the M. Valentino or the Daniele? What's the difference?

13. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Teena Hicks Company in downtown OKC has some nice suits under $500. Some Austin Reeds, Jack Victor, etc. You might even find some on sale.

Give them a call and see if they can help you out. I have purchased several items from them and they are very nice to deal with.

Chris

14. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

I'm 6'2" and currently 200#. I find that most "slim fit" suits will not look good on a guy who has a good amount of muscle mass, broad shoulders, and fairly narrow waists. The shoulders and chest never fit correctly. Even sizing up to a 44 RLBL, it didn't look right.

I suggest going for something that is trim, such as Polo RL or E. Zegna, but not trendy slim. I find these to fit me perfectly in the shoulders, chest, bicep, and quad areas; however I HAVE to take them to my tailor to get the jacket suppressed at the waist and pants waist taken in (sometimes tapered at the hem too).

I do have a Wizard of Ahh's *EDIT* M Valentino suit which is actually pretty nice for the price. I find the fit to be similar to Polo RL.

+1. I am 44L 6"2" and 220. Almost the same as the OP. The suits you have mentioned are right. You can try on the slim fits, but I find the shoulders and waist a bit tight. Again, depends on the waist of the OP, I have a 7-8" drop. Try for trim. I don't like boxy suits either and your tailor is your friend. Now to get them under $500? Zegna is tough in that price range but I fit Polo and HB also and they can be found for less.

15. bearsfan172

bearsfan172 Well-Known Member

At an RL store on sale, or at the RL outlet

16. runner-guy

runner-guy Well-Known Member

How much do you offer and get them for? Do you get the M. Valentino or the Daniele? What's the difference?

If you email Jeff and mention Style Forum, he will give you a discount. I haven't used the discount yet, but I believe other have gotten M. Valentino suits for $280 shipped. I have a navy M. Valentino and it's very nice. The Valentino suits have more of a slim fit than the Baroni suits.

17. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Well-Known Member

Honestly, this is what I'm leaning toward, despite SF's inexplicable contempt for JAB. And there is a store in the city, and I like being able to try on the suits.

I think it's pretty explicable.

18. Eustace

Eustace Well-Known Member

I've purchased a couple of BB 1818 suits (both Regent and Madison) on sale for under $400 in the clearance section. They're not fully canvassed but they look great.

I second the Ebay suggestion. I've had some great luck there as well.

19. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

Savilerow78 on Ebay had a nice dark grey plaid PRL Corneliani in my size a few months ago with a BIN of $450 (which I thought quite reasonable) but no minimum bid. I took a flyer and put in a snipe for up to $325. Imagine my surprise when I awoke to find that I had purchased the suit for $201.50. Since then, every suit they have listed has had a minimum bid which is 2/3 of the BIN. [​IMG]

20. inq89

inq89 Well-Known Member

Land's End (tailored or traditional) suits are going for around $185 on the summer sale. Not a bad price and made out of 100% merino wool. I've never owned their suit but have been happy with their clothing.