1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best suit for wedding under $1000?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pabloweho, Aug 2, 2011.

1. pabloweho

pabloweho Member

I'm getting married in six weeks and want a new suit for the occasion. Its not a "traditional" wedding in the sense that I will not be wearing a tux, nor will there be any groomsman or best men.

Here's what I'm looking for:
    • Slim fit, contemporary look
    • Something I can use for the ocasional business meeting and social event (i do not wear suits for biz very often)
    • Color: Prefer black, but my bride thinks its "funereal", so charcoal or dark blue could be options)
    • Under $1000

So what do folks suggest? Do I have to buy off the rack or is custom a possibility in my price range? I live in the Los angeles area if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Best,
    Pablo

2. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

what size are you? What brand do you currently own or have your eye on?

3. MensQE

MensQE Member

If you have an outlet store like Saks off 5th near you I would start looking there. Maybe you can find a zegna suit in that price range.

4. pabloweho

pabloweho Member

5. PL92106

PL92106 Well-Known Member

If you're near an Off 5th, you can probably grab an Isaia that will fit all your requirements for ~$700-$900 during one of their fairly regular 40% or 50% off suit sales (their normal price is around $1,400 if memory serves). OP, that's ~$2.5k-$4k suit for the same price of the Boss you posted. Quality of Isaia vs. Boss not even worth trying to compare. Plan on ~$100 for alterations.

6. pabloweho

pabloweho Member

Thanks, sounds like a killer deal, but there are no Saks/Off 5th in California.

7. PL92106

8. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

Isaia at Off 5th? :p

I hardly doubt that man.

9. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

Your bride is right, avoid black.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  10. PL92106

Strange but true. Noticed a rather large amount of Isaia suits at my local San Diego location over the past year my size at least 40R. Don't tell me I gotta take pics next time to prove it. They might have trickled some up to the LA area for OPs benefit, but I'd call the various locations first to avoid driving in LA in vain.

EDIT: OP, make sure you call the various locations first. While mine has them, I remember walking out of the Desert Hills one looking back up at the sign making sure I wasn't just in Express for Men vs. Off 5th. Core selection is generally the same (bad) but high end stuff varies by location. I've had best luck in larger cities that generally are less style focused (i.e. San Diego).

11. pabloweho

pabloweho Member

How'd I miss that? Thanks!

12. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

+1

i see them at the one near me at that price point very often. and they usually have a pretty good selection also.

13. pabloweho

pabloweho Member

14. sm31

sm31 Well-Known Member

Why not just listen to the good advice you've gotten and forget about Bluefly and Macy's?

15. pabloweho

pabloweho Member

Just looking for options. Off5 is a bit of a drive for me. Second, they may not have Isaia in stock for my size/color.

16. sm31

sm31 Well-Known Member

So give them a call and ask what they have in stock. If you can figure out the correct size and model that fits well, then you have more flexibility to buy online.

In my case, for example, I figured out by trial-and-error that the "Base S" model tends to fit me well, and then ended up buying a new one (who knows, maybe the seller bought it at Off-Fifth?) in the color I wanted on eBay.

17. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

I recently bought a Canali on Bluefly for right at a grand. Very Dark Navy Blue - very tasteful - very happy with it. They run about $1500-$1800 retail for most models/fabrics. Canali's are not the most 'fashion forward' cut out there - but far from stodgy (IMO). When I tried on the Canali's and Zegna's at Sak's a few months ago I found the Canali models that I liked to be slimmer fitting and a bit more stylishly cut than any of the Zegna's. Not that Zegna is all that fashion forward either. Personally I think both of these makers make a pretty good choice between stylish/fashion forward and classic - but that's just my personal opinion.

I bought 2 Isaia sportcoats from E Habadasher this summer as well (about $600 each - $1500 retail) and they are indeed quite nice. However, the cut on them was quite a bit smaller in the waist than Canali and Zegna in the same size. They worked fine on me with a minor let out - but just barely.

Which brings me to my point - you don't know for sure what size you need and how these things from different makers might fit on you. Every maker and every model within that maker's line is cut a little differetly. So you HAVE to go try them on unless you intend to order and return ship a lot of suits in the next 6 weeks.

There is no avoiding some shopping - sorry. My advice is to get busy now - alterations and decisions will take some time. At least go to the most upper end stores in your area and try a few on. Do be respectful of the Sales Associates time though if you really don't intend to buy - keep it short and sweet - please. :teach:

By the way - I personally recommend a very dark navy solid for your occasion - and unlike black you can wear it to work etc. etc. later.

18. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Nothing wrong with black -- especially for the groom. You can wear it for business meetings, too.
    Look for a Boss Black Label or Theory suit (maybe Versace Collection) <1k -- available at most decent department stores.

19. SaveMeJebus

SaveMeJebus Well-Known Member

Tis the truth. Of course, during the most recent Buy 1, get 1 suit free sale at Off 5th, the local one to me took most of their Isaia suits off the rack and presumably hid them in the back. There were at least 40-50 suits there the week before, and then voila, 6 suits remained. Was not all that thrilled with the move.

20. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

Gasp! You just set off all sorts of SF alarm bells. Those who advocate black suits get smacked around. OP - More people would agree that a nice navy blue is your best option. It's classic, can be worn for all business occasions after the wedding, and besides everyone will be focused on your bride's dress anyway. Your job is to show up!