• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best shoe color with navy suit

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I do, admittedly, kind of hate those
Nothing makes me happier

bc78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I do, admittedly, kind of hate those.

Not something I find appealing, but I can see why it appeals to others. I try my best to be subtle so I don't want any one thing to stand out.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bam!

Vassmay0812.jpg

Vassmay082.jpg

Vassmay081.jpg

&Son

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
Booo....

These are superb

I've never seriously considered navy shoes with a navy suit it just seems to be too much. However, those look great and make me wonder how they would look with the mid grey Canali hanging in my closet.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a pair of Alessandro from Berluti in a smokey navy blue ...They're superb and every time i wear them people are asking me about them...

Navy shoes can be ghastly and that is the problem...Navy blue can be flat but with the right patina and polish ,they can be superb....

I 'm going to ask next year to Tony Gaziano to make me a pair of smokey/blackish shoes...

The navy blue must have some depth and vibrancy...

Noclueguy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers!

Ok, I'm not really known as the boldly stylish guy in my circle of friends, so I'll probably wait with the navy blue and tan shoes with a navy suit for the later stages of my transformation. ;-)

Alright so it seems dark brown is the most popular color here. Anyway, I have a follow up question. It seems the next time I'll be wearing this suit is at a wedding, and I was thinking that a pale pink tie would be suitable for that sort of occasion.

1. Would the tie clash with a pair of burgundy shoes? I guess it wouldn't at least clash with brown shoes and the navy suit, am I right?

2. With this combination, what color would be suitable for the pocket square?
Originally Posted by grimslade
I love dark brown or #8 shoes with navy.
Sorry, I'm new here... I have no clue what the color #8 looks like.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would probably shy away from the pale pink tie for a wedding...yes the girls might like it but chances are it won't have any contrast against your shirt (guessing white) and just kind of look lifeless.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Owning navy shoes is in itself questionable.

plain.gif

It's elite, dude.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Noclueguy
Sorry, I'm new here... I have no clue what the color #8 looks like.

Burgundy. It's the easiest-to-find color for shell cordovan shoes because Horween, the tannery, makes a lot of it.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I would probably shy away from the pale pink tie for a wedding...yes the girls might like it but chances are it won't have any contrast against your shirt (guessing white) and just kind of look lifeless.

Not to get off topic but I was wondering a similar question myself. If one is wearing a Navy Blue suit and a light blue gingham check shirt would wearing a solid navy blue tie be too much blue. Would a dark red or Maroon basket weave tie add some needed contrast?

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dlion0721
Not to get off topic but I was wondering a similar question myself. If one is wearing a Navy Blue suit and a light blue gingham check shirt would wearing a solid navy blue tie be too much blue. Would a dark red or Maroon basket weave tie add some needed contrast?

yes, too much blue IMO. Perhaps a solid purple with that combi?

Noclueguy

Reaction score
Yes I would be wearing a white shirt. So do you mean you would shy away from pale colors in general or just pale pink? And what about a brighter pink?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Noclueguy
Yes I would be wearing a white shirt. So do you mean you would shy away from pale colors in general or just pale pink? And what about a brighter pink?

I'd prefer something like this

13962_n.jpg

Lowndes

Reaction score
I'd prefer something like this

13962_n.jpg

That is really nice. That is very similar to the shirt that I will be wearing. I might look into finding a similar tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads