1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

best pumpkin ale?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by ctrlaltelite, Oct 28, 2007.

1. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Well-Known Member

all right beer drinkers, i have been a longtime fan of all things pumpkin, be it pie, soup, ice cream, or whatever, but this year i have finally discovered pumpkin ale. i was wondering if anyone else liked it and could recommend some good brands? who knows, i might need to stock up before the season is over.

2. distinctive

distinctive Well-Known Member

The only one I've had is Sam Adams. Didn't really care for it all that much.

3. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Well-Known Member

I am drinking an Ichabod pumpkin ale right now (www.newhollandbrew.com) out of Holland, MI. Pretty good. Also, try the blue moon for a wheat beer.

4. bishop24

bishop24 Member

Great Lakes Brewery makes a pumpkin ale that we started serving at the restaurant I work at.

It's light. Made with pumpkin and pumpkin spices. Has a great nose full of all-spice, clove, cinnamon. Just like pumpkin pie.

Good label with a big jack o'lantern in the front for the holidays.

We were carrying it a few weeks before the LCBO started stocking it, but it should be widely available now.

5. dougie

dougie Well-Known Member

dogfish head punk. end of thread.

6. jkennett

jkennett Well-Known Member

east coast to west and back to east. currently res
    So far this month I've had Blue Moon (Harvest?) Pumpkin Ale, and Brooklyn Brewery's Pumpkin Ale.... and to be quite honest neither was particularly amazing. BB was a bit more pumpkin tasting, but both really tasted more of allspice than anything else. I'd be interested in trying the Dogfish Head that was mentioned.... They tend to be a little more exacting in their flavors, so maybe they'll win the prize for best pumpkin ale.

7. poly800rock

poly800rock Well-Known Member

will have to try this. i'm not the biggest fan of their stuff even fresh at the brewery it never hits me across the face, but i would be curious as to what their pumpkin beer tastes like.

8. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

I was very unimpressed with Blue Moon's "Harvest Moon" blend. I'll have to try the dogfish head one, but i rather enjoy Shipyard's Pumkin Ale.

9. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

Neither Sam Adams nor Dogfish Head were that great, I thought.

10. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Well-Known Member

I have tried several and don't like any of them. They all seem to have too much pumpkin flavor or are too spicy tasting.

11. spence

spence Well-Known Member

Weyerbacher is the best I've had.

-spence

12. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I don't care for pumpkin ale or other 'fruit' beers.

13. ComboOrgan

ComboOrgan Well-Known Member

I second Brooklyn. It's called Post Road Pumpkin Ale.

Brooklyn Brewery can do no wrong.

14. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

Though it's very tasty it doesn't have any discernable pumpkin flavor. It only has the slightest aroma of pumpkin which you only get when drinking out of a glass.

15. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Well-Known Member

I second Brooklyn. It's called Post Road Pumpkin Ale.

Brooklyn Brewery can do no wrong.

i actually had that, and found it didn't have as much pumpkin flavor as i would have hoped.

16. onion

onion Well-Known Member

At my city's (Charlotte, NC) Oktoberfest this year I would have to say hands down the best pumpkin ale was King Don's Pumpkin Ale. I think it's brewed pretty close to here, so I guess most of you can't expect to get a hold of it, but if you do, it is f'n amazing! Brewed by these guys: http://cvbc.homestead.com/index.html