• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best pomade of these

Coater

Reaction score
So, I am going to a shopping mall soon and there's a special shop for haircare products. I was thinking about getting some pomade to try. I investigated their internet shop and they atleast have these pomades there:

Dax Short and Neat, Dax Wave and Groom, Nu Nile, Murray's Beeswax, Murray's Superior, Murray's Hair-Glo, Murray's Super Light and Murray's eXelento.

So, I was thinking about either Nu Nile or Murray's Superior. But, which one would you use of those? They are all the same price in the shop I mentioned.
I am looking for a pomade that is good for slicking your hair back or to the side and has pretty strong hold with good shine.

notalwaysrig

Reaction score
Hello.

I have never tried any of the specific brands you wrote about, but I have been using something called "Garnier Fructis, Surf Hair (Strong)". It is usually less than five bucks in many stores.

http://www.amazon.com/Garnier-Fructi.../dp/B000GCUWPU

For such a low price, I would recommend that you try it.

Good Luck with finding something that meets your desires!

*While the product description says that it has "low shine" or "matte"...I don't believe you should let this discourage you from trying it. In my experience, It seems to provide all of the char. which you requested.

notalwaysrig

Reaction score
*shouldn't have posted that. Sorry...it was the wrong thing to say. My apologies all around.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Murray's is awesome. Cheap as hell. Strong as ****.

Coater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by notalwaysrig
*long text here*
-Ben

I am deeply sorry if I offended you in some way.

It's good that you could recommend me a product you thought I would like. It seems like a pretty nice product, but the thing here is that I am looking for good old-fashion pomade. The product you recommended is "paste", which I believe is pretty much the same as hair wax. Hair wax and pomade are different. And I wanted you to choose one from the list I provided you, to be exact. I'm happy to hear you also recommend other pomades, but keep in mind that the product might not be sold in that hairstore I am going to visit.

And what comes to petroleum jelly, I've never heard of a pomade that doesn't have it as an ingredient. It's a pretty important ingredient in pomade. The pomade must be some sort of special pomade if it has no petroleum jelly. And, all the pomades I've seen come in tin cans, not those plastic ones.

But I am deeply sorry if I offended you.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Murray's is awesome. Cheap as hell. Strong as ****.

ewww, nasty.

I suggest trying Layrite if you've never used pomade before.

past that, it depends alot on the type of hair you have on what product may work best for you. (I use Lucky-13 Devils Deluxe)

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by notalwaysrig
Hello,

Can someone please help me, because I am having trouble following what just occurred. (Honestly,] Please tell me what I am missing:

(1) "Coater" said: "I am looking for Pomade" (Verbatim.) - He also provided several product examples.
(2) At least one of the items which "Coater" provided as an example, uses Beeswax as either a primary, secondary, or tertiary ingredient.
(3) In keeping with this, and other variables you suggested, I recommended an item where one of the primary or secondary ingredients is Beeswax, and most of the other basic ingredient needs which you specified were satisfied as faithfully as possible.
(4) You Posted: "But that is not pomade, I am looking for pomade." - Under which you posted a link to the Wikipedia definition of pomade.

*Here is where I get confused...I reccomended "Pomade" According to your own definition!
*can someone please tell tell me what it is, that I am not understanding? The product I posted shared almost every one of the primary ingredients as the definition which "Coater" posted. These include:

Beeswax, ✔
Perfume, ✔
Coloring Agents, ✔
Organic Oil's, ✔
A Binder of some sort✔

Ok, so...while I have no idea if the following is a correct asessment, I'm guessing that one of three things is actually going on here:

1. I did not satisfy the requirement that "most [pomades] contain Petroleum Jelly" (totally reasonable)

2. What I suggested wasn't in one of those cute little "American Crew" type tin's that looks like a modernist representation of a Copenhagen dip can...without which, your friends won't be impressed by the cosmetic items you purchase. (I tried to suggest something that was reasonably priced.)

Or...3....You have a degree in Physics and used a Photoelectron Spectroscopy technique to analyze the chemical makeup of both the product you requested, and the item I suggested...and determined that they were not of the same chemical makeup.

I truly apologize that my response/rant is beginning to border on uncivil behavior, but I found your reply to my "hopefully helpful" comment be bordering on rude. If that is not the case, I apologize. Honestly. Where I'm from though, we consider that smug and backhanded...although I do understand that It is hard to provide inflection over the internet...but I really had trouble interpreting your comments in any other manner.

-Ben

Holy crap. No offense to you, Ben, but you over analyzed this to the point of absurdity. Lol.

Chubbs

Reaction score
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but didn't want to start a new one. What is a good pomade for thicker, slightly course hair? Also, which ones are easy to wash out, I didn't want something that's hard to get out of my hair. I've heard Murray's is a ***** to get out.

Thanks

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chakmak
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but didn't want to start a new one. What is a good pomade for thicker, slightly course hair? Also, which ones are easy to wash out, I didn't want something that's hard to get out of my hair. I've heard Murray's is a ***** to get out.

Thanks

you want something that hygiene wise is like gel, layrite, washes out like a champ.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
you want something that hygiene wise is like gel, layrite, washes out like a champ.

I use Layrite, and like the fact that it washes out easily with just regular water. Looks good in my hair and the GF even likes the smell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads