1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best Made in Scotland cashmere?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spectre, Jul 18, 2008.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Kathy has some nice stuff. She said she was closing her business soon, but I don't know if that's true. I was told this 8 months ago or something. Something like the Temple of Jawnz of eBay shops.

She has lots of stuff by Peter Scott. Measurements given are of the actual chest, not of your size, so be careful. If you can find something that fits, the values offered there are quite good.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  2. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Well-Known Member

I concur. I'm 38 jacket and bought a size 40 cable knit wool sweater from O'Connells.

3. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Well-Known Member

Yes, the size 40 William Lockie V-neck fits me well. Too bad the roll necks at Heather Wallace start at 42.

4. jcep

jcep Well-Known Member

Asian Afro is the shoulder line a bit dropped on the 40? I'm looking at the chirnside and the only fotos I found of people wearing that model gave the impression of a very conservatively styled garment (i.e shoulder seams that fall lower than the end of the clavicle and also that we're a bit long/droopy). I understand you ordered a different model but did you find this to be the case with the 40?

5. andreyb2

andreyb2 Well-Known Member

I found that Westaway & Westaway are quite accomodating in sourcing what a customer wants. If Lockie makes size 40 at all, W&W will help you to obtain it.

In general, W&W offer one of the best customer service I ever recieved -- in my whole life. Highly recommended.

Andrey

1 person likes this.
  6. Asian Afro

The shoulders are perfect on me, but I have wide shoulders. It is a conservative cut, but not unflattering. The sleeves are long but the cuffs are meant to be turned.

I ordered a single-ply v-neck in flannel grey, btw.

7. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Well-Known Member

hello, need some sizing advice on william lockie please.

so, i want to get some lockie v necks and cardgians but struggling to find the smaller sizes and to figure out how their sizing works.

on the william lockie site they offer the below sizing advice, but when i go to UK retailers it seems they only carry the larger sizes. judging by the japenese stock on rakuten, i think i would need quite a small size. i am 5'7 and 145 pounds

http://www.williamlockie.com/stock_service_mens_camelhair.php

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/explorer/item/112b190007/#

so - where can i find the size 38 or 40 equivalent to the rakuten japan stock??

thanks!

8. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

i Vote for "Braemar" nice cashmere.

9. Asian Afro

10. lovelux2010

thank you for the quick reply! perhaps i will order a 40 and 42 and see which fits best. i noticed on rakuten the have 36, 38, 40, 42, etc. do you know if william lockie make smaller sizes for the japanese marekt, or would the sizes at heather wallace be the same - just a different way of measuring?

confused as from rakuten, i thikn i would be a "38", but at heather walace the lowest sizse is "42"

thanks

11. Asian Afro

It could be that William Lockie made smaller sizes for the Far East, but it also does private label work, so it could just be that Japanese brands ordered smaller sizes.

The way knits are measured is the same. If you are slim like me, then a 40 would fit you better. WL sizes their knits by chest size of the knits, not the chest size of the wearer. So someone whose size is 38 would wear a sweater in size 40 or 42, depending on the fit desired.

12. mactire

mactire Well-Known Member

13. lovelux2010

just the info i was after - thank you! i will try a 40 to start in the cardigan..

i will check out westway and heather and wallace - thanks all!!

14. lovelux2010

ok - just checked out the 2 retailers mentioned - the smallest size they have is 42! i am in london - anywhere taht i can purcahse in a 40? in london or online? ideally i would like to be able to buy, and exchange for a 42 if need be - although i am quite certain 40 should fit as i am slim

15. dieworkwear

William Lockie will custom knit you a 40" if you contact them through their store, Heather Wallace. Price is the same, but since it's custom, it's obviously not returnable. They'll only size by chest, so you can't specify things such as length and sleeves. I had a 40" cashmere sweater knitted, and it fits me well.

16. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Well-Known Member

How is the fit on those Lockies?
    Should one size down if looking for a more fitted look?
    Can they do every chest size or do they have something like 2 inch steps to their sizing?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  17. Asian Afro

Lockies have a classic fit and are true to size, though the pit-to-pit on my size 40 V-neck is closer to 21" than 20". I don't know whether they'd do odd sizes if you wanted to size down.

1 person likes this.
  18. dieworkwear

As AsianAfro said, they're sized by chest, so you can probably just order based off of what your other sweaters are cut like. If you normally wear a 42" chest sweater, then order a size 42 from Heather Wallace (Lockie's store).

The other proportions are fairly traditional, based off that chest measurement.

I imagine they can custom knit to any size.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. lovelux2010

hello all - had a quick reply from Lockie and they do indeed make a size 40. they can also make you one to your specification (as far as chest) if you send them the pit to pit measurement. mine measure around 18-19, so I may see if he can make a 38ish..

1 person likes this.
  20. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

FWIW, much of Turnbull & Asser's cashmere is John Laing, and it's very nice. Haven't put that many miles on it but no signs of any problems.

1 person likes this.