1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best impractical fun car 40-50K

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by username79, Oct 9, 2008.

1. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

I currently, and for the foreseeable future, get a new rental every month. This ends up being a decent car -- Honda Accord, Mustang, etc. so I use it drive to work and for most other non-intensive things.

I'm looking for something fun, with a maximum price of 50K, and no older than a 2001. The more impractical the better, to a point. I hate sedans and large cars. Any suggestions?

Short list:

NSX
    S2000
    Cayman S
    ...?

2. visionology

visionology Well-Known Member

Lotus Elise / Exige is probably the most impractical car you can get in that range.

3. pscolari

pscolari Well-Known Member

Land Rover Defender 90

4. micbain

micbain Well-Known Member

Lotus Elise / Exige is probably the most impractical car you can get in that range.

+1

I think this is hands down the best car you can get for the "Best impractical fun car for $50k" title.

You can also get used 911's, and even nice 996 Turbo's in the $50k range but maintenance is $$$.

5. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Well-Known Member

After the Lotus, is there any other choice?[​IMG]

6. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

After the Lotus, is there any other choice?[​IMG]
    There is absolutely not. It's the hands down winner in this category if you have a second car. I don' think there's anyway you get a Cayman S for less than 50K.

7. Southern-Nupe

There is absolutely not. It's the hands down winner in this category if you have a second car. I don' think there's anyway you get a Cayman S for less than 50K.
    Same here, I didn't know what the current price they were going for on the used market, but less than 50K did seem kind of low, however it's still an amazing car.

8. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Well-Known Member

The Elise is the car to get in this category. The Exige is faster and packs a bigger torque wallop, but the supercharger whine ruins the godly noise of the Elise. The Elise sings, while the Exige sounds like a Dyson.

9. jakejake

jakejake Well-Known Member

What's so cool about the Lotus besides that it's fun to drive? How reliable is it?

10. DMcG

DMcG Well-Known Member

An Ariel Atom if you can find a used one. It seems like with the new US manufacturer they're starting at $65K for a new one these days.

11. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

What's so cool about the Lotus besides that it's fun to drive? How reliable is it?

Did you not read the thread title? It's impractical, and it's the most fun to drive car south of about $70K I'd imagine. I believe it uses a Honda drivetrain but they may have changed that recently.

12. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Well-Known Member

A Manta Mirage...big block.

13. Southern-Nupe

An Ariel Atom if you can find a used one. It seems like with the new US manufacturer they're starting at $65K for a new one these days.
    Good pick, I forgot about the Ariel.

14. Southern-Nupe

Did you not read the thread title? It's impractical, and it's the most fun to drive car south of about $70K I'd imagine. I believe it uses a Honda drivetrain but they may have changed that recently.
    It's the same 1.8L from the Toyota Celica, but it absolutely sings when fitted in the Lotus.

15. Pylon

Pylon Well-Known Member

BMW Z4 roadster 3.0si

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

There's some good N. American made cars in this range, some you can get new, some you'll have to get used.

Viper, used
    Corvette, used
    Dodge Challenger (the souped up version) new
    Mustang, (whatever they're calling their fastest version this year) new

For nearly 100% impractical, either a Ford Lightning or Dodge SRT pickup. Both are useless as a pick up, have no cabin space, and go like bats out of hell.

17. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

BMW Z4 roadster 3.0si

What a joke.

18. Mauby

Mauby Well-Known Member

There's some good N. American made cars in this range, some you can get new, some you'll have to get used.

Viper, used
    Corvette, used
    Dodge Challenger (the souped up version) new
    Mustang, (whatever they're calling their fastest version this year) new

For nearly 100% impractical, either a Ford Lightning or Dodge SRT pickup. Both are useless as a pick up, have no cabin space, and go like bats out of hell.

I'd add the Pontiac G8 GT to that list. You can get it new and still have $10K back in your pocket. Of course, you don't turn many heads driving a pontiac. I test drove one...it's a beast.

19. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

A brand new Suzuki Hayabusa. [​IMG]
    More adrenaline and even less practical than the Lotus. Also at a better price point.

20. Germanicus

Germanicus Well-Known Member

If you can find one of the few who were built, I´d definitely consider a Marcos TSO. RHD only, but judging from the few tests that were made, it's got to be a hell of a fun to drive.