1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best fabric for white dress shirt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by odoreater, Apr 9, 2006.

1. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

What is the best fabric for a white dress shirt. Basically, I'm looking for something that strikes a nice balance between quality and feel, and not being able to completely see through the damn thing.

2. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

Broadcloths aren't too see through, but if that doesn't work, herringbones are quite nice, too. Oxford cloth, I suppose, should be mentioned, too. Less formal though.

3. capnpyro

capnpyro Well-Known Member

I got the 100% sea island cotton when I ordered a white dress shirt from Jantzen. It's got a very nice feel to it, and it's opaque enough to wear without an undershirt. Mind you I've never tried on a borrelli shirt or comporable shirt, but the cotton of the jantzen is the crispest and nicest feeling I've ever had on. It keeps it's shape while still being soft, very nice.

4. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

Twill. But not in the summer.

5. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

Herringbone or twil: both very nice choices.

6. kcgreg

kcgreg Well-Known Member

Herringbone and Sea Island Cotton - you can't go wrong with either.[​IMG]

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

I like Royal Oxford.

8. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

I like Royal Oxford.

I second that - the texture is beautiful and it's rather sort without looking wrinkly.

9. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Well-Known Member

80/2 pinpoint oxford is a true workhorse of a fabric. It can be made with a spread collar to dress it up instead of a button down.

Royal oxfords can sometimes be a bit heavy. Higher thread coun royal oxfords are quite nice. There is a Thomas Mason 140/2 that is great.

Real Sea Island cotton is very expensive.

I doubt the shirt from Jantzen was real SEa Island cotton. Not at $42.00.
    The fabric alone would cost more then that.

BRoadcloth's vary in opaqueness(is that a word) It depends on the construction
    the 200/2 fabric gets quite dense and is amazing. Of course i is quite expensive as well.

Carl

www.cego.com

10. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Well-Known Member

Best compromise between 'see-thru' and 'quality feel':

Albini's Thomas Mason "Clarence" 2x2 140's Broadcloth.

If you want slightly thicker:

Albini's Thomas Mason "Byron-Kent" 2x2 120's Broadcloth

Slightly more hedonistic ... but also more translucent:

Alumo's "Soyella" 2x2 170's Broadcloth

11. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good choice for attending the Bacchinalian orgy Esquire is teaching me to throw [​IMG]

12. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good choice for attending the Bacchinalian orgy Esquire is teaching me to throw [​IMG]
    Not really. Alumo's experimental 220's would be a better bet. It may be available by the time you're done with Esquire.

13. Ali Kebab

Ali Kebab Member

What is the best fabric for a white dress shirt. Basically, I'm looking for something that strikes a nice balance between quality and feel, and not being able to completely see through the damn thing.

2x2 100's plain poplin.

14. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I'm currently in the process of addressing the very same problem right now. I really like a fine herringbone (5mm) or fine twill because of the extra sheen, but I wonder if Alumo's 170x2 broadcloth isn't a more versatile choice while I build-up my shirt rotation.

I was actually quite surprised in that it didn't have as nice a hand as I would have imagined. Then again, I'm comparing it to their 170x2 Zephir, which has an incredible hand but probably isn't as durable. And don't even get me started on voile!

What's everyone's impression of a medium-fine twill? Does that go with just about everything or should I stick with broadcloth for my first white shirt?

16. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

I have a strong distate for twill shirts worn with suits with a twill weave. Against a flannel, herringbone tweed, etc they look very nice. But broadcloth is certainly a more versatile and must have fabric.

17. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

whoopee, now that I think about it, I completely agree with you. As of yet, none of my jackets have a twill weave except for an espresso herringbone twill, but I think I'm gonna go with Alumo's 170x2 broadcloth for my first white shirt.

18. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

I vote for this one.

19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of white shirts, but the one that I have is broadcloth. I don't like the sheen that herringbones and twills tend to have.

20. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

Hey, hopkins, I just read your signature and it reminded me of this thing that I heard or read about Rock 'n' Roll bands that created names but then regretted the names they created because they wouldn't make sense anymore when circumstances change. Like for example, a band that names itself using the initials of all of its members, but then one or more of the members quits the band and new members join so the name is no longer applies. Hehe, just thought it was an interesting analogy. Guess you should have thought about the long term ramifications of choosing your name.