1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best Dressed at Oscars?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by furo, Feb 26, 2012.

1. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Well-Known Member

I have to say I did forget AP. Although I hate their US distributor's philosophy (If you didn't buy your AP at full price from an AD, then you're not a true AP owner). Hey buddy, why does your distribution chain dump watches to grey market dealers, then.

But, that's an aside. I forgot them and would put them in the same category as BP, Breguet, IWC, and JLC.

VC uses JLC movements so I'm not so crazy about them. The history is there. The manufacture, unless things have changed in the past couple years, doesn't do it for me.

2. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

I had no idea that RSS has been dead since 1984, but you know, now that I think about it, it explains a lot.

3. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

I am wearing a Swiss made manual wind Mickey Mouse watch from the 70s today.

Yesterday, though, I wore a Lange.

Two days ago, I wore a Braun digital watch.

Three days ago, I wore a JLC.

I thought that I would share since learned WISs appear to be posting in this thread.

4. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

'

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. jeff13007

jeff13007 Well-Known Member

Only some movements are done by JLC but then again Patek and AP also use them.
    http://www.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium631686780396906210

6. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks. I think I see what's happening now. You attribute to me a view I don't hold, which is that there is a problem with Hanks's coat. You think that I think that the coat in some way doesn't look good. I never said that. What I said was that a 4x1 shawl almost always looks better than a button-two shawl. In fact, I said:
    "...one should always go with 4x1 with a DB shawl. The short shawl does not flatter the face, shoulders, and chest. Despos said that a few years back on SF, and this resoundingly proves him right. The short shawl shortens and shrinks his chest and lengthens and widens his hips and abdomen."

Obviously, this means that 4x1 shawl does a better job of this than button-two. It doesn't mean that Hanks's coat is objectively bad, on any dimension. Nor does it mean that it makes him look bad in any way. It just means that the coat doesn't make him look as good as a 4x1 shawl would have. If I say that a Bentley is better than a Mercedes, does that imply that I think a Mercedes is a bad car?

That's all I've said. Your photos don't contradict it.

7. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Yup.

I know that this was sais already, but yeah, jlc makes movements for almost everyone. VC makes plenty of thier own movements, and not only is the history there, but the quality and "fineness" as well.

Can you give me some of your watches?

8. Noah.Dreams

Noah.Dreams Well-Known Member

Finally a truly timeless tux. Leave it to Bond.

9. furo

furo Well-Known Member

You're contradicting even yourself and you've warped your argument so many times that I've grown tired just reading through all the garble.

First you say a short shawl doesn't flatter the face, shoulders, and chest. Yet, you also say that Hanks looks perfectly fine in his DJ. If he looks perfectly fine in it, why fix it? Hanks is already tall. He doesn't need the 4x1 and I don't know how many times it's been said now. A 4x1 does nothing for Hanks.

10. in stitches

he looks nice (i hate to be picky, but the jacket could use some suppression), but i think a tux is really best suited with a watch that is on a black leather strap.

11. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

RSS is well beyond remembering them all.

12. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

Yes, my preference is for a thin one in yellow or white gold (or platinum, for that matter) on a black strap. However I'm not surprised by Craig's choice of a vintage Daytona; from what I've read he's an avid Rolex collector.

Still not sure how I feel about the turnback cuffs, though. I know they're not technically incorrect, but they seem more at home on a true smoking jacket (so I guess they're most appropriate on a shawl lapel dinner suit). Perhaps this, along with a double are TF details for the season? Craig's suit has this in common with Hanks' and I thought I'd seen speculation that this is where Hanks' came from as well.

13. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

omegas are fine with a tux. no worries.

how did you like beckhams attire?

14. RJE

RJE Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  15. in stitches

i dont recall what he wore. link?

16. TimelesStyle

In the picture posted it's pretty clearly a vintage Rolex Daytona.

17. in stitches

lol, yes i know it is, i meant i dont recall what beckham wore. :)

18. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

iGent's Response to This Photo:

"George Clooney may be handsome, talented, rich, popular and have a gorgeous woman at his side, but at least I have the knowledge and good taste to shun a notch-lapel two-button dinner jacket!" (And of course no proper iGent would use the vulgar Americanism "tuxedo.")

Normal Guy's Response:

"Wow, that Stacy Keibler sure is hot!"

1 person likes this.
  19. TimelesStyle

Haha, I thought you were referring to the watch part of that post, in which Craig's watch is erroneously identified as an Omega (Bond's choice) as opposed to a Rolex (Craig's apparent favorite).

20. TimelesStyle

As noted above, Craig ("Bond") is wearing a Rolex.