• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Dressed at Oscars?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wish that the guys appearing at the Academy Awards can find the success in life that typifies the StyFo membership roster.
Maybe some day...

They could if they spent more time on internet forums instead of wasting away in movie sets and A-List clubs

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wish that the guys appearing at the Academy Awards can find the success in life that typifies the StyFo membership roster.
Maybe some day...

pipes dreams. abandon them.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who told :foo: to wear those Lobbs with his dinner clothes?
:confused:

It's his party and he'll cry if he wants to...on a similar note I am considering trying out black cordovan Vass monks with my upcoming tux as I haven't been able to find a pair of proper ones yet that fit well.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

It's his party and he'll cry if he wants to...on a similar note I am considering trying out black cordovan Vass monks with my upcoming tux as I haven't been able to find a pair of proper ones yet that fit well.

I'm not sure that is will be possible for me to speak with you again if you do that.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I will always be a dreamer, my friend, and a bringer of delight to the world.

ah yes, that you will my friend, that you will.

insert john lennon song here.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
celebrity-pictures-hanks-timberlake-not-excited.jpg

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Broadly speaking, not as nice as PP, but nicer than IWC/Rolex/Omega.

Agree on Rolex or Omega but must take issue with IWC. In the broad context the introductory level JLC is nicer than the introductory level IWC, though the top IWCs are nicer than the top JLCs.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

Your examples cited are pretty flawed IMO.
Using as examples how 4x1s look on 2 shorter guys (5'8" and probably 5'3"), and then extrapolating to guesstimate how a 4x1 might look vs a 6x2 on 6'1" Hanks is decidedly stacking the deck [:lol:] in your favour.
Also, the 4x1s...

...acheive their effect on these shorter men by shifting the buttoning point down to lengthen the sweep of the lapel to make them look taller.
Doesn't make sense in my mind's eye to do that for the non-vertically challenged Hanks. You're 'fixing' an imaginary problem created in your own head.
Just my 0.02, and all IMO of course. :)

All true, but you've missed what it does for their chests, shoulders, and face. A 4x1 has more effects than just the torso-lengthening effect. As on this tall man:

That looks better overall than Hanks's 6x2 shawl, even though Hanks's coat fits better, and even though Hanks has a better figure. The reason is that black tie's triangle formed by tie and lapels around the white shirt needs either the length provided by button-one shawl or the angles provided by peak lapels to look its best. This is why button-two shawl or those high-buttoning two-button SB tuxes one sometimes sees don't look great.

Again, I didn't say there was a problem with Hanks's coat.: it's not sartorially bad. I said that an opportunity for true excellence was missed.

P. S. I also said that one should always choose 4x1 shawl over a button-two shawl, because the first pretty much always looks better.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree on Rolex or Omega but must take issue with IWC. In the broad context the introductory level JLC is nicer than the introductory level IWC, though the top IWCs are nicer than the top JLCs.

this is at best arguable, and imo just plain wrong. jlc is miles ahead of iwc in the haute horlogerie department. not even a question.

Last edited:

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All true, but you've missed what it does for their chests, shoulders, and face. A 4x1 has more effects than just the torso-lengthening effect. As on this tall man:

That looks better overall than Hanks's 6x2 shawl

fail.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally disapprove of must human clothing items on dogs but this, although too wide for the actor's face, looked pretty good. For a dog.

I bet he got more heavy petting than Hanks, Clooney and Pitt, combined.

Of course, he's not wearing pants and he's a better dancer.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads