• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best car for under $15k? new or used

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im looking to buy a car, but with all the options available, the process is a little overwhelming since it looks like im just picking numbers out of a hat with my approach to researching this thing.

i just got out of school and money is a little tight, but i really need a car. ive got up to $15k to spend total, but would prefer if i could keep it close to $10k. new or used it doesnt really matter to me though i think id prefer new to avoid headaches with mechanical problems that may be associated with used cars. but if there is a model that is really reliable, i may get a used car.

i could care less for styling unless it really looks ugly; i just need it to be functional and practical. thanks for any suggestions. btw, i live in california.

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
Honda Accord
or
Ford Fusion

Very practical, and inexpensive all around

Zachgranstrom

Reaction score
Honda Civic

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Honda Fit.

jeannoob

Reaction score
mitsubishi lancer.
great warranty included (10 years, 160,000km powertrain)

runner-guy

Reaction score
I've driven a Scion tC for the past 5 years and I've had zero issues with it. It was only about $18,000 brand new and loaded with standard features that are options on most other cars. It's also pretty quick (2.4 L inline 4 cylinder, 160 horsepower) and gets very good gas mileage. You could easily find a used one with fairly low miles for under $15,000.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Honda Fit.

+1, that's what i got last year. lots of storage and u can sleep in it if need be. good resale value. i got black in the hopes it would lend more gravitas to the car's diminutive/sporty appearance, but unless u can find a very good wax to repel the dirt, I'd recommend white.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Hyundai Sonata or Kia Optima.

turboman808

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. In all seriousness if it was me and I just need reliable transport I would get a cheap beater thats also cheap to repair.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Buying new is lighting money on fire. You're essentially throwing a few thousand out the window as soon as you leave the lot. Buy a used Civic, Camry or Corolla and have a mechanic look it over before you pay.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have a lot of choices of dependable used cars for aroudn $15k. If it wasn't my dream car, I wouldn't have any problem buying a 2-3 year old car and save some money from the depreciation. Most cars nowadays are fairly reliable, domestic or foreign. Get yourself one of those Consumer Reports car buying guides and get whatever they suggest that's close to your preferences.

If I were to spend $15k right now on a used car, I'd probably go for a 05-07 Subaru WRX.

IB240996

Reaction score
Low-mileage 2007 GTI: it's no Accord but then it's no Accord.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads