1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best Burger Ever!

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by odoreater, May 1, 2008.

1. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

Still haven't tried Apple Pan, which is considered by many to be one of the better burgers in LA. I like the concept at The Counter:

http://www.thecounterburger.com/menu/

Apple Pan is nothing to write home about. Went there once, had no real desire to go back. Basically like an in-n-out burger.

As opined above, the Counter is great. Father's Office verges on not very good. I don't need the bitterness of arugula in a burger, nor do I need a brioche bun.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Grand Luxe Cafe has a great "Max Burger." The meat is topped with short rib. Excellent.

I KNEW I forgot something! What a great burger that is.

3. c3cubed

c3cubed Well-Known Member

Ground imported Kobe beef, char-broiled with peameal bacon on top and a nice slice of goose Foie Gras with a dollop of Tarragon Sabayon. Finished with a few shavings of White Truffle from Alba.

Deadly, and worth it.

4. kwilkinson

^^ Do you have to buy $50 buns for that so it'll fit in or what? Sheesh!

Sounds damned good though.

5. c3cubed

^^ Do you have to buy $50 buns for that so it'll fit in or what? Sheesh!

Sounds damned good though.

Almost! Certainly freshly baked from the oven. Nicely toasted as ready. [​IMG]

6. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Baron, I love you in your clothes, but Father's Office!? No offense to you, but that place is the most over-rated burger joint in L.A. (I think at some point it was called "best.") It's such an "L.A." burger. It's on Brioche bread (IIRC), has arugula, and other "gourmet" fixins. It's such a joke. They think their burger is so good they don't serve ketchup. Their burger is exactly the type of burger that needs it. Total thumbs down for me. I don't remember the meat being particular good either. I rather have a Carl's Jr. burger any day (which is pretty good as far as fast good goes).

Grand Luxe Cafe has a great "Max Burger." The meat is topped with short rib. Excellent.

The Counter in Santa Monica has a great burger.

Chili's, generally, has a great burger.

Hodad's in San Diego has one of the best burger I've had in a while.

Burger Lounge in La Jolla is great as well.

We have very different palates, apparently. Chili's? Carl's Jr? I've also eaten at the Counter, which was fine but completely forgettable. The Father's Office uses a french roll, not brioche. It isn't exactly traditional, but to me it's almost perfect. I make burger's at home quite a bit, and I often use arugula and I also often use blue cheese, which is another non-traditional ingredient that they use. I would never put ketchup on a burger. I only eat ketchup with fries, and usually not even then. I'm not sure if I'm more repulsed by the sight of ketchup on a burger or on a breakfast plate.

The thing I hate most in a burger is if the meat is too thick, thus overwhelming the other ingredients, or moreso if the whole burger is too thick to fit into one's mouth. I don't get the point of that. The pug burger, at Hungry Cat in Hollywood, is another acclaimed local gourmet burger. I ordered it once and found out that it's about 6 inches tall. Why make a burger that you need to eat with a knife and fork? Retarded.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

The Dutch Goose
    Mo's in North Beach

My favorite is Prather Farms beef on an Acme bun with just a little dijon mustard and a touch of mayo.

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

i'll invite all you over to my place and i will show you what a burger's all about.

rice patties for bun
    kalbi for beef
    kimchi for lettuce

9. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of 5 guys burgers, with bacon, sauteed mushrooms & onions, jalapenos, and steak sauce.

+1 On 5 Guys for sure, a great burger. They also have incredible hotdogs.

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

i dont see anything wrong with McDonald Angus burgers. they are the reason why i even stop by mcdonalds these days.

11. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Well-Known Member

The Counter in Santa Monica has a great burger.

Chili's, generally, has a great burger.

Hodad's in San Diego has one of the best burger I've had in a while.

Burger Lounge in La Jolla is great as well.

I agree that for everyday burgers Carls and Chilis do do a pretty good job. The Philly Cheese Steak burger was particularly good. I have to throw in IN n OUT to this, although probably a little better and fresher.

But the Burger Lounge? I was disappointed with that burger. It lacked much flavor to me.

Where is Hodad's, I'll have to give them a try?

12. teddieriley

We have very different palates, apparently. Chili's? Carl's Jr? I've also eaten at the Counter, which was fine but completely forgettable. The Father's Office uses a french roll, not brioche. It isn't exactly traditional, but to me it's almost perfect. I make burger's at home quite a bit, and I often use arugula and I also often use blue cheese, which is another non-traditional ingredient that they use. I would never put ketchup on a burger. I only eat ketchup with fries, and usually not even then. I'm not sure if I'm more repulsed by the sight of ketchup on a burger or on a breakfast plate.

The thing I hate most in a burger is if the meat is too thick, thus overwhelming the other ingredients, or moreso if the whole burger is too thick to fit into one's mouth. I don't get the point of that. The pug burger, at Hungry Cat in Hollywood, is another acclaimed local gourmet burger. I ordered it once and found out that it's about 6 inches tall. Why make a burger that you need to eat with a knife and fork? Retarded.

Fair enough. The ketchup thing is debatable since I grew up eating it with a lot of things and probably won't stop doing so any time before I die. But I agree it shouldn't be used on a great burger.

The word that escaped me when describing the FO's burger was pretentious, and certainly not to imply anyone that enjoys it as being the same whatsoever. We just have different ideas of what makes a good burger. I don't like bleu cheese either, so you start throwing everything I don't care for on a burger, then you get a burger I can't recommend.

13. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

London has terrible burgers.

Better than the clear ones in India.

14. itsstillmatt

I'd like to cast another vote against ketchup. Dijon mustard is the way to go for coniments.

15. teddieriley

I will readily admit I don't have the most refined palette. I put ketchup on burgers (but not the really good ones), almost anything fried, eggs scrambled or omelette, hot dogs, and certain types of chicken.

Does anyone think that Kobe burgers are also over-ated? I tried one and wasn't impressed. More importantly, I don't believe Kobe (or whatever restaurants use that they claim to be Kobe) was meant to be served as a burger - in both the way it is prepared and cooked.

16. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I'd like to cast another vote against ketchup. Dijon mustard is the way to go for coniments.

Actually, I'd say mayonnaise is the secret ingredient. Like butter, it makes everything better. I'm having a yellow mustard renaissance lately, so I use it about equally as often as dijon.

17. itsstillmatt

Actually, I'd say mayonnaise is the secret ingredient. Like butter, it makes everything better. I'm having a yellow mustard renaissance lately, so I use it about equally as often as dijon.
    I agree about the mayo, but yellow mustard creeps me out.

18. c3cubed

I will readily admit I don't have the most refined palette. I put ketchup on burgers (but not the really good ones), almost anything fried, eggs scrambled or omelette, hot dogs, and certain types of chicken.

Does anyone think that Kobe burgers are also over-ated? I tried one and wasn't impressed. More importantly, I don't believe Kobe (or whatever restaurants use that they claim to be Kobe) was meant to be served as a burger - in both the way it is prepared and cooked.

Not sure about the American Kobe - I know the Japanese Kobe is extremely well marbled (when raw, almost appears to be like a pink granite) and the fat is evenly displaced. When cooked, the taste is unbelievable. I remember reading somewhere that the fat is "non-trans" and is supposedly "good" cholesteral, unlike normal Angus and the like, which accounts for the steep Kobe price.
    That, and the fact the animals are massaged daily, and live a stress free existence.

Ground Kobe is uncommon - the Japanese prefer New York style Striploin as their premium most expensive cut, unlike the west that puts a premium on the filet.

Some say, they enjoy listening to Mozart during their spa ritual.

19. kwilkinson

Not sure about the American Kobe - I know the Japanese Kobe is extremely well marbled (when raw, almost appears to be like a pink granite) and the fat is evenly displaced. When cooked, the taste is unbelievable. I remember reading somewhere that the fat is "non-trans" and is supposedly "good" cholesteral, unlike normal Angus and the like, which accounts for the price.

That, and the fact the animals are massaged daily, and live a stress free existence.
    Some say, they enjoy listening to Mozart during the spa ritual.

Isn't there no such thing as American Kobe?

I thought I read somewhere that Kobe was only from that specific region in Japan. Like calling California sparkling white wine Champagne or something.

anyway, I don't really have anything else to add.

20. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the best burger I've ever had was at Five Guys in Georgetown, DC. It was huge, beefy, and greasy as heck. But man, when I think about burgers now, that image and taste come into mind.