• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best bespoke commission ever? I think so. *** PICTURES ADDED FOR THOSE LACKING IMAGINATION

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What do you think?
I think I've seen this on western style clothing for the last 100 years. We would use the same singular shape point on the back of collar to make it symmetrical.:)

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, with the current trend towards softer tailoring, something like a dropped shoulder just gets accommodated by the jacket. Instead of padding up one shoulder to make them even, the tailor just cuts the jacket so that it fits to the body, so that the dropped shoulder is still evident if you look for it. All these things go towards a more casual look, but it's not inconsistent with classic tailoring IMHO. It's just a matter of how fastidious the wearer wants to look. The difference in the (very limited, so take with a huge grain of salt) asymmetric non-CM garments that I have seen are that they are more aggressively and intentionally asymmetrical.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

And these asymmetric details contribute to that somehow?

No but they don't distract from that goal, which is one of several...adornment and historical tradition that cannot really be accounted for today abound, I am in no way pretending, like foo, that menswear aesthetic are rational and they are certainly not minimal. However the few basic goals are not very often triffled with, although it is in the nature of .spezzatura or whatever to somewhat have certain individual present themselves as if they didn't care for them.

Last edited:

Lovelace

Reaction score
Then it cannot be worn sucessfully with a traditional menswear wardrobe so he is selling to the wrong clients and should approach L'Éclaireur or Dover street market to sell it along Carol Christian Poell, Comme des Garçons, Paul Harnden, Aithor Troup or whatever.

Who says his client was in the market for a traditional wardrobe, or wishes to wear it with traditional accessories.

I'm not quite sure I understand your point.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Who says his client was in the market for a traditional wardrobe, or wishes to wear it with traditional accessories.

I'm not quite sure I understand your point.

If a plumber puts a urinal in a restroom it is a functional item to dispose of bodily waste, if Duchamp puts it in a museum it is an artwork. I am not trying to build a hierarchy here but a tailor, discussed in the MC section and known for his suiting and overcoats is sold to clients wearing traditional menswear. If he wasn't it's not like Dopey would know of him and I wouldn't, his audience is clear from even a few cues like this. A specific individual might go against the grain but that doesn't change the overall rule.

Last edited:

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the same Moorbrook fabric in dark brown and beige. After seeing your coat, it has moved to the top of next winter's pile. I assume you are happy with the way it made up.

yes
very very pleased
with the way it turned up
it is the perfect overcoating
warm and holds its shape
perfectly

you will not be disappointed

johanm

Reaction score

If a plumber puts a urinal in a restroom it is a functional item to dispose of bodily waste, if Duchamp puts it in a museum it is an artwork. I am not trying to build a hierarchy here but a tailor, discussed in the MC section and known for his suiting and overcoats is sold to clients wearing traditional menswear. If he wasn't it's not like Dopey would know of him and I wouldn't, his audience is clear from even a few cues like this. A specific individual might go against the grain but that doesn't change the overall rule.

For what it's worth, the tailor of those jackets, Davide Taub, has a reputation for being fairly avante garde for Savile Row (particularly for being head cutter at one of the oldest houses, Gieves & Hawkes). An excerpt from a recent interview:

What designer brands do you like?

A few years back Rick Owen's 'tailored' pieces were interesting in the way that they show it is possible to play around with conventional proportions but still be very wearable. I loved the extremely close-figured body, very narrow structured shoulders and over long, tight sleeves... paired with low slung, baggy seated trousers.

Japanese designers like Rei Kawakubo are amazing, the way they can take traditional techniques but deconstruct them in a critical way to make you see beauty in the unconventional. Also The Non, produces stunning clothing with lots of great tailoring and cutting techniques that I wish I knew!

http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2012/12/davide-taub-style-and-tailor.html

Last edited:

Lovelace

Reaction score

Yes, I agree. The vast majority of his business will be the conventional.

I think I said this in an earlier post, or something along the same lines.

The tailor is just showing us what he is capable of and how flexible he is.

I believe he originally trained at a military tailors before moving onto Maurice Sedwell and Edward Sexton of Nutters fame.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

that's him second from the left. He looks great. So does the brunette girl.

Last edited:

johanm

Reaction score
Some additional examples of Davide Taub's work below. I think it's pretty clear that while he doesn't feel constrained by the "lexicon of classic tailoring" or whatever, his work doesn't lack a point of view or commitment.

01G&Hbespoke12.jpg

etkl

Reaction score

yes
very very pleased
with the way it turned up
it is the perfect overcoating
warm and holds its shape
perfectly

you will not be disappointed

I'm sure I won't be. Thanks.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
pay attention
to the thickness
at teh back
if you decide
to do a belted
back

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads