1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best actors (of your generation)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Thracozaag, Nov 7, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I bet SoCal2URPants has Glitter permanently sealed in his DVD player.

Letters petitioning the studios to release a special edition box set piling up on the coffee table.

2. Violinist

Violinist Well-Known Member

For actrices, I would have to say Merryl Streep, Mirren, and Edi Falco.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Bale is definitely a very good actor, I usually like him way better than the movies he stars in, he's one of the few american actors who can elevate a picture.

nm. violinist beat me to it.

And i would definitely put dicaprio in there.

4. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

quando un tifoso di roma dice qualcosa normalmente non vale nulla

scarphe - non parlo italiano, but I get the gist. please know i was commenting on [​IMG] underlying obnoxious comment, and not your assertion....[​IMG]

5. MiaAim

MiaAim Member

Robert de Niro

6. scarphe

scarphe Well-Known Member

People who say things like that usually only see big blockbuster films.

If you can't find one nice thing to say about the many talented actors there are today, then you probably don't know much about film at all.

Not really, Film like painting or drawing is art therefor is subjective. I like manet but I find that monet is not to my taste. So yes i can dislike theactors of my generation and still know somethng about about film, so go stuff it as wipe.

7. Violinist

Violinist Well-Known Member

Not really, Film like painting or drawing is art therefor is subjective. I like manet but I find that monet is not to my taste. So yes i can dislike theactors of my generation and still know somethng about about film, so go stuff it as wipe.

I'm surprised that you cannot find ANYONE (DeNiro, Hoffman, Pacino, Nicholson etc... etc..) that matches the theatric "brilliance" of the incomparable Humphrey Boghart. Like, are you serious? You're honestly telling me that none of the above actors, including people like Edward Norton, Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio and Phillip Seymour Hoffman cannot match the earthshattering talent of Boghart? That's fine to have an opinion, but there's a point where a "subjective" opinion becomes so absurd that it cannot be taken seriously. Have you opinion, that's fine, but don't claim to know anything about film.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Mathieu Amalric is unbelievable IMO. I'm glad the world will have the chance to see him perform a little more than in "Munich" with the upcoming release of Schnabel's movie. Can't wait for that one to come to America!

He played in Munich? Should I check this one out? I don't like Spielberg but the thematic is interesting and reminds me of a pretty good tv series I saw as a kid about black september and its aftermath.

I like Desplechin's movies a lot and think his recurring cast of actors is pretty good. Also dig the Jaoui/Bacri crew.

There must be some very solid eastern european actors working right now and their cinema is on the rise but i'm not sure who to check out.

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Arggg the art is subjective therefore no opinion holds bullshit is back!!!

[​IMG]

10. Rye GB

Rye GB Well-Known Member

Bale is definitely a very good actor, I usually like him way better than the movies he stars in, he's one of the few american (British) actors who can elevate a picture.
    Stop stealing our fine Englishmen. A few on my List: Forest Whitaker Isabella Hupert Hugo Weaving Gael GarcÃa Bernal Vincent Cassel Christian Bale Eric Bana

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

He played in Munich? Should I check this one out? I don't like Spielberg but the thematic is interesting and reminds me of a pretty good tv series I saw as a kid about black september and its aftermath.

I like Desplechin's movies a lot and think his recurring cast of actors is pretty good. Also dig the Jaoui/Bacri crew.

There must be some very solid eastern european actors working right now and their cinema is on the rise but i'm not sure who to check out.

Munich was ok -- not typical Spielberg, in my opinion. Overall, the acting is quite good, I think. Amalric does not play one of the primary roles, but a fairly significant secondary one.

12. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

So yes i can dislike theactors of my generation and still know somethng about about film, so go stuff it as wipe.
    Maybe... but categorical language like that does make you sound like you don't know what you're talking about, because "subjective" or not, there HAVE been enormous contributions in film in the past few decades. I could understand you saying you don't like a particular genre/approach that some contemporary actors use, but given the vast amount of films made in every genre, at every level of financial background, it really doesn't make any sense to say that you don't like ANY actors of your generation. It just means you haven't seen enough films. And, finally, why the Monet/Manet reference? I don't see how this contributes to your point because the two have nothing in common, except that they both were 19th painters and one has an "a" in his name where the other has an "o." There is nothing "subjective" about seeing differences between the two; one is a realist and the other an impressionist.

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Don Cheadle is very good.

14. JetBlast

JetBlast Well-Known Member

Patti LuPone.

Signed,
    Connemara

15. countdemoney

countdemoney Well-Known Member

Hugh Jackman is great on the stage.

I forgot one of my favorites who died too young - John Cazale.

16. onion

onion Well-Known Member

Leonardo DiCaprio. I know a lot of people don't like him because he was in Titanic, but let's be serious, he is a very very talented actor. He was awesome in Basketball Diaries, Blood Diamonds, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Gangs of New York, etc. He is probably my personal favorite actor of today.

Jack Nicholson and the late Jimmy Stewart are also two of of my all time favorites.

17. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Bea Arthur
    Rue McClanahan
    Betty White
    Estelle Getty

GOLDEN GIRLS 4 LIFE

18. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Well-Known Member

Don Cheadle is very good.

Probably my favorite actor of all.

19. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Bea Arthur
    Rue McClanahan
    Betty White
    Estelle Getty

GOLDEN GIRLS 4 LIFE

You creep me the hell out.

20. modsquad

modsquad Well-Known Member

Actors who have lately been doing things that I appreciate: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Sam Rockwell, Steve Zahn, Peter Saarsgard, Ben Foster, Robert Downey Jr. Some specific performances that come to mind are Harvey Keitel in Fingers and Bad Lieutenant, Laura Dern in Wild At Heart, Diane Keaton in Looking for Mr. Goodbar, John Malkovich in The Object of Beauty, Marcia Rodd in Citizens Band and Samuel L. Jackson in Jackie Brown.