1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best $400-$600 Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ridikulas, May 16, 2011.

1. Dressed2the9s

Dressed2the9s Well-Known Member

I'm in the market for a new $400 to $600 suit. I'm looking for something with the best material and fit. I'm 5'8" 150 lbs and usually a 38S with 31 waist so I'm looking for a fairly slim-cut suit. I've tried Pronto Uomo but I wasn't too impressed with the cut or finish.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to J.Crew Ludlow and Brooks Brothers Regent. Which one do yall prefer? What other brands in my price range should I be looking at? Thanks for the help.

J. Crew - has more waist suppression to show off a thin waist.

Regent - has more of a relaxed fit (is more forgiving in the stomach).

Both are offered in 100% wool, and offer half canvas/fused construction) and you can get discounts on both (J.Cew offers sales through the year and a 15% student discount). And you'll see on their websire that Brooks Brothers offers discounts all the time even on made-to-measure events.

Personally, my money is on J.Crew. Why? Simply because they fit me better off the rack, and offer 3 piece suits and narrower lapels. The mill they use is italian (even though its made in Mexico), for the amount of details you get for a "mall suit", its not bad (try to get it on sale if you can). Again this is what I personally like, since Fitzgerald was too boxy for me off the rack (though I the Brooks Brothers stores in my state don't have the "Milano" fit, so I can'
    completely write BBrothers off).

I thought this link was useful too, take what you will from it:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...135584478.html

Don't take my word for it:

2. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Well-Known Member

S. Cohen in the Positano model

3. ridikulas

ridikulas New Member

J. Crew - has more waist suppression to show off a thin waist.

Regent - has more of a relaxed fit (is more forgiving in the stomach).

Both are offered in 100% wool, and offer half canvas/fused construction) and you can get discounts on both (J.Cew offers sales through the year and a 15% student discount). And you'll see on their websire that Brooks Brothers offers discounts all the time even on made-to-measure events.

Personally, my money is on J.Crew. Why? Simply because they fit me better off the rack, and offer 3 piece suits and narrower lapels. The mill they use is italian (even though its made in Mexico), for the amount of details you get for a "mall suit", its not bad (try to get it on sale if you can). Again this is what I personally like, since Fitzgerald was too boxy for me off the rack (though I the Brooks Brothers stores in my state don't have the "Milano" fit, so I can'
    completely write BBrothers off).

I thought this link was useful too, take what you will from it:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...135584478.html

Don't take my word for it:

Thanks for this

4. westinghouse

westinghouse Well-Known Member

A half price Burberry suit from Saks Off 5th Ave.

5. Patek14

Patek14 Well-Known Member

Wait for a 25% off sale at Nieman Marcus Last Call or find a Saks Off 5th that carries HF mainline. Buy HF mainline...I like the madison model

6. Allen

Allen Well-Known Member

Jos. A. Bank is what I would choose on that budget. Some of their suit aren't under 600, but they are almost always on sale

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

Wait for a 25% off sale at Nieman Marcus Last Call or find a Saks Off 5th that carries HF mainline. Buy HF mainline...I like the madison model

You can find the fully-canvassed madisons at 30-40% off of $600, which is a great price for a plain navy or navy with pinstriped full canvass suit... however, the cut is old fashioned and boxy.

8. imschatz

imschatz Well-Known Member

Check out www.malfordoflondon.com .. I'm absolutely in love the fit on the Aquascutum and Paul Smith suits - and the price charged for new suits rivals B&S.

9. musososeki

musososeki Well-Known Member

Armand Basi

$20 extra for alterations, though most stores that carry him will alter for no extra charge

Anyone here who tells you $600 won't buy you a nice suit is a snob and an asshole

1 person likes this.
  10. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

595 for Caruso Sartoria Parma at ehaberdasher. For 695, lots of Stile Latino (supposedly made by Attolini)

11. mispoke

mispoke Well-Known Member

+1. I have the toughest time finding suits OTR (broader shoulders, thin waist and body, long arms), and S. Cohen Positano was a surprisingly decent fit for me (albeit the body/button is a bit tight). Got it for $375.