1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bespoke suit with a fashion forward style?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Simone1, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Simone1

Simone1 Well-Known Member

Hi once again gentleman! This forum and the help always amazes me, so I wanna ask something once more!

My friend said that he would really love to own a Tom Ford suit. I understand him, it is a lovely style for a young generation, and when he only want to wear it for nights out etc, then a fashion forward style is definitely in place.. He loves the peak lapel, ticket pocket etc, and he would like the suit in navy. Now, this suit would be somewhere in the lines of 4500-5500 dollars, and I know in fact that the manufactor is Zegna. Would it not be possible for him to go to a Zegna shop, and get a MTM option which would create a Tom Ford look, for half the price?

Where would he miss out on anything? Is there really anything besides the brand?

Kindest regards,
    Simone

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

There are plenty of options out there for wide peak lapel suits for less than $2k. It sounds like he doesn't actually want bespoke, just a RTW style similar to TF? Suit Supply's Washington fit sounds like exactly what he's looking for, unless he's aiming for a higher quality level...not that SS is bad quality.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Simone1

Yeah, he is not specifically interested in the bespoke experience! He just want a RTW/MTM style similar to TF with the wide peak lapels, ticket pocket etc.

Suitsupply is not really an option here in North Europa, but we do have Zegna "made to measure" etc.

I am not able to find any of the style he is searching for here in the malls as a RTW... Peak lapels are not the typical Dane preference :p its notched everywhere....

Do you think the Zegna MTM program can replicate a Tom Ford suit, in terms of fit and style?

Kindest Regards,
    Simone

4. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Well-Known Member

Ozwald Boateng has a RTW line that's similar to his bespoke. Recommend checking it out. You'd run into similar problems as with SuitSupply, which is distribution.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

The answer is probabty no, at least, not completely. In order to replicate the Tom Ford suit, you'd need be able to replicate the shape of the lapels, the shoulders, the skirt, completely, and it is hightly doubtful that any MTM program, which is a streamlined process without the latitude of a custom tailored suit, will be able to be used to repiclate a designer suit. Moreover, it is highly unlikely that Zegna has any reason to alienate a lucrative client like Tom Ford. Because Tom Ford is popular, it's possible that Zegna has something similar in its own line, but it would not be the same suit.

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I think @Seamless has had some success replicating the Tom Ford look via MTM.

7. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Well-Known Member

If in NYC, you could try visiting my friend Craig Robinson
    http://www.robinsonbrooklyn.com/
    he makes everything on site or in local NYC workrooms.

He makes a fashion forward garment.

8. Seamless

Seamless Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'll grab better photos soon but I've had luck with MTM. Pm and I'll get you connected with the right people.

9. Simone1

What a beautiful suit... Che figata!!