1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bespoke suit or better MTM

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sidhartha, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Sidhartha

Sidhartha Member

Hi All,

I've had a few MTM suits before (war suits basically for work). I've shelled out close to £700 per suit in the past (for a jacket and 2 trousers). Quality was ok for work, but I wouldn't wear them out in the evening.

Bit of background... I'm a 42L and 32 waist so RTW is pretty much out of the question.

I want a suit for general evening wear... restaurants, events, concerts (God forbid when my girlfriend drags me to the opera etc). I prefer slimmer tailored suits, medium to narrow lapels etc.

I want to spend closer to £2,000 than £3,000 for a two piece.

Any recommendations?

Right now I've been looking at either full bespoke from Chris Kerr,

http://www.chriskerr.com/

Or maybe a made to order (not full bespoke) from Kent Haste & Lachter,

http://kenthaste.co.uk/made-to-order-2/

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

2. Sidhartha

Sidhartha Member

3. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

I'm not understanding why RTW is our of the question. Have you tried any slimmer fit suits? RLBL makes a pretty dramatic cut that might need only minimal tailoring. A good tailor could take in the waist and slim down pants no problem, you're only 1 size down from me in waist and jacket.

You could also try the Zegna Milan fit, I own a few and with waist suppression on the jacket and taking the waist in/slimming the pants its a great cut.

I'm unfamiliar with the two tailors you are considering.

4. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

For a drop 10, I'd imagine MTM would be vastly superior to any RTW.

5. MZhammer

There's a lot of RTW drop 8s out there and it's a minor alteration for any tailor at that point.

6. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it a minor alteration. Trousers that are 2 inches too big in the waist are likely too big in the seat and elsewhere, as well.

7. MZhammer

Go to a good tailor, it's not a big deal to slim pant legs and take in the seat.

8. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Try Kent and Haste - I've never seen any damning reviews. Forget RTW, large scale alterations are not worth it, get something that fits inn the first instance.

9. Sidhartha

Sidhartha Member

A 6 inch drop is a 4 inch alteration to the trousers. Sounds a lot to me. I've got a Gucci RTW suit and frankly it fits horribly. Take 4 or more inches out of the trousers and the pockets start shifting around to the back of the trousers too much.

10. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

4 inches is indeed a lot. But there are plenty of makers that sell the suit jacket and suit pants individually, and jackets can be tapered quite dramatically without distorting their proportions.

11. MZhammer

Correct, and a 6 inch drop is pretty traditional in sizing, most slim fit suits have a 7 or 8 inch drop which makes it even more manageable. It's fine if you'd prefer to do MTM, there's many people who do, but to say you "can't" do RTW seems unrealistic. A drop 8 puts you into a 2" larger waist so the shaping through the leg would be minimal and wouldn't change the proportions in any meaningful way.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  12. Macallan

Macallan Well-Known Member

Where did you get the £700 mtm suits from?

That would help with the suggestions

13. Sidhartha

Sidhartha Member

Oh they were made by a guy called Jim Nash who used to be in Leadenhall Market. While fine as a war suit I wasn't overly blown away with the cut, detail or finishing.

I am looking to move a big step up from there.