• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke shoes on L&O

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Did anyone see the bespoke shoe shop on Law & Order tonight? I don't recall the name they used, but the shop the detectives visited looked dead on the pictures you see on the John Lobb website. The suspect wore a pair of their $6000 bespoke boots while murdering his mistress. The story's error was that he had brought them in for a hurried resole, which would, of course, have taken weeks if not months, not an afternoon. In fact, as it was supposed to be an England based maker they would have been sent across the pond for such service.

Despite the error, it was nice to see it in the story. Since the Fontana character joined the cast there has been a lot more focus on things sartorial.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
I saw that. Pretty funny when the detectives asked,"If they were thrown away,they're still in the trash,right?The clerk replies,"Yes,but it would take all day to go through the trashbin.To which the detective replies,"We have all day."
laugh.gif

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What kind of crazy person spends $6000 on a pair of boots?

Oh.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or a crazy person with a credit card.

Oh.

Oh.

jester

Reaction score
What kind of crazy person spends $6000 on a pair of boots?
That was the clear sign that he's a crazed criminal.
biggrin.gif

4Mica

Reaction score
How many overcoats does Detective Fontana have anyway?

My wife laughs at me as I comment on his clothes as we watch. I enjoy the new character but no one can replace Jerry O.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My wife laughs at me as I comment on his clothes as we watch.  I enjoy the new character but no one can replace Jerry O.

Ha. My wife laughed at me too when I pointed out he'd worn three overcoats in the space of 15 minutes on the show.

jerrysfriend

Reaction score

My wife laughs at me as I comment on his clothes as we watch.  I enjoy the new character but no one can replace Jerry O.
And how will we be able to replace Dennis Franz satorically?
It is hard to determine whether he was dressed worse as Andy Sipowicz in "NYPD Blue," with his [usually] brown clothing, his short sleeve shirts and polyester ties, or long ago, as detective Norman Buntz, in "Hill Street Blues," with his plaid or pastel polyester suits.
Anyone find any prejudices here against those of us of eastern European descent? Remember the expression:"the full Cleveland"?
KenCPOLLOCK a/k/a Jerrysfriend

4Mica

Reaction score
Jerry O's character was sloppily dressed, that's for sure. My reference to missing the character and Orbach's acting had nothing to do with what he wore.

Last edited:

Phil

Reaction score
I remember some ebay auctions a while ago that were selling "extra" suits from L & O that Orbach wore. They were all Hickey Freeman.

4Mica

Reaction score
It was the way his character wore it (which fit perfectly with his character). He usually had the tie loose, that sort of thing.  The new guy is more flashy Italian (maybe flashy stereotypically Italian?).

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Fontana is flashy, but his character is knowledgable. In one episode he asked a guy if his shirt was a Paul Smith. It was. In the one last night he identified the dead woman's coat as Prada from a distance. When his lieutenant was incredulous at $6000 bespoke shoes Fontana said, "They're custom. They fit like a glove." You've got to love him.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, Fontana is flashy. The real question is whether the character is dirty. The stories are dancing around issue.

I didn't notice his frequent clothing changes. (I have an excuse, though. I was ironing my shirts at the same). The shoemaker shop was an interesting stop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads