1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bespoke delivery in a few days: what could go wrong?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Redwoood

Redwoood Well-Known Member

Dad always said that tailors used stripes in the sleeves because it was less expensive material than the bemberg for the body lining. No idea about the truth of the matter, B

That would make sense. Either this or tougher.
    Sleeve lining has to withstand more stress than the other jacket body lining
    (except maybe around pockets, where rough skin, nails, and hard-edged objects can tear up the lining)
    so it should be tougher.

2. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

I don't know why, it's just a tradition, not sure how it started. I like it.

+1, looks good

3. Will

Will Well-Known Member

What can go wrong?

Not once but twice I have had three completed suits disappear in transit. One maker apologized and re-made them. The other one wanted me to pay for them anyway.

4. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is BS, but one tailor told me the stripey stuff is a different blend than just regular ol' bemberg, which it makes it easier for the arms to slide in-and-out.

I know a few things that makes it easier for things to slide-in-and-out. [​IMG]

5. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I don't know why, it's just a tradition, not sure how it started. I like it.

FWIW, the DB carcoat I'm having made doesn't have stripey sleeve lining, because the tailor decided that wasn't right for it. Perhaps because it's outerwear? I have no idea.

--Andre

6. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Matt

I am staggered that a tailor such as Rubinacci that make as fundemental error as geeting the lining wrong.

Why it is not dificult to read the customer's instructions even if in US English not Italian. What explanation do they offer for this stupidity?

7. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

BTW, now we know!

I liked the lining FWIW.

8. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

I've never chosen a lining other than asking for Bemberg or ermazine.

So, I comprehend not your anguish.

- B

Same here. I am clearly not paying enough attention.