1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bernhard Roetzel book

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Nonk, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

In case any members are interested in this book, which I have found hard to find and expensive (one used copy recently went for around £30 on Ebay) they should try TM Lewin, Jermyn Street. The have a large stock of new copies, which along with all their stock they are selling at half price in their sale. I got a copy last week for a very reasonable £10.

A possible ebay "flipping" opportunity for someone perhaps?

2. forwardpleated

forwardpleated Member

Do you recommend Roetzel's book? How does it compare to Flusser's Dressing the Man?

3. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

It's a great book. The two books are complementary. You will not regret owning both, especially not at that price.

4. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Roetzel's book is great, and £10 would be a good price these days.

5. Nonk

Nonk Well-Known Member

Roetzel's book does not go into such depth around the history of style, the origins of specific items, or focus on widely heralded individuals in the way Flusser does. Instead it is full of recommendations for brands and manufacturers, and would be especially interesting to someone making their first trip to Savile Row or Jermyn Street, as it has write-ups on the main players. While giving it's primary focus to these locations, it does give space to a wider world view, so Italian suits, Hungarian shoes, etc. are all covered. (He does seem to be sponsored by Church's though)

I found it a very enjoyable read, and certainly well worth investing £10 in to add to my collection.

Perhaps more for beginners like me than the more knowledgeable members of the forum.

6. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I'm with Manton. It is an essential compliment to Flusser's book.

My wife bought me one of the Lewin copies for Christmas this year. They are a new printing (2004) but the information is not up to date. I don't have it at hand and can't recall some of the errors, but there are a few. Still, very enjoyable.

7. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Well-Known Member

Well worth having. More discussion of appropriate brands (particularly if you're a traditional English gentleman-e.g. Winston Churchill's spotted bowties were from Turnbull & Asser) than in Flusser's latest. The shoe section, particularly which shoe styles work better with particular fabrics and styles, is useful but may seem too rigid for some of us. But see the black tassel loafers with a Prince of Wales check (p 189) - Kidkim2 was right. Church's apparently gave Mr. Roetzel access to its factory and its models, but Roetzel's perhaps overly grateful ranking of Church's quality as superior to Edward Green and John Lobb (page 103) would cause an uproar if posted on this forum.

8. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

I have one of the Borders or B&N reprints.  Red, reinforced, Paperback cover.  It's a nice book to have, although a little rigid.  Like Stylestudent and Nonk point out, Church's gets a significant amount of play in the book, but this is the pre-Prada Church, and I have no experience with anything from back then.

Walked by the Churchs store in D.C. a few days ago - not intentionally -  I was walking from Foggy Bottom to the Filene's and Brooks Brothers on Connecticut Avenue.  The shoes did look a little "plasticky".

Edit: Corrected statement attributions

9. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

I just passed up buying that book for $15.00 this weekend. If anyone is in the Rhinebeck, NY area there is an antique store that is selling it. So stupid.

10. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

It was on sale on Amazon.com a couple years ago.

I even gave my bespoke tailor a copy as a gift.

11. MPS

MPS Well-Known Member

Roetzel's book is not like Flusser's in the the former is actually useful.

12. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Well-Known Member

Strange, I gave a copy to my tailor 6-8 months ago. Lot of people, including me, reviewed the book at http://www.amazon.com/exec....1311305 If I could find another copy at a good price, I would send it to Ernest, a big Church's fan.

13. bryce330

bryce330 Well-Known Member

Agreed - the Roetzel book is far better (both broader and more in depth) than anything by Flusser.

I bought my copy at Barnes & Noble for $9.95 about two years ago and I have seen other copies in the bargain section from time to time.