• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berg and Berg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took a gamble and sized up for a navy (Fresco) suit. Wish me luck.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
(It seems B&B is still not removing Swedish VAT for non-EU purchases so you'd pay that as well. That is generally not the case).

Apparently, post-Brexit Shopify has finally found the motivation to figure out how to deal with removing VAT for non-EU buyers ordering from UK or EU-based stores with tax-inclusive pricing. It’s still up to the store to decide whether to do that, or just pocket the difference.

As you say, the new issue is how to deal with international sites collecting and remitting VAT for UK-based purchasers. I think anyone in the UK should consider themselves lucky the can even place an order at all.

M.Olsson

Reaction score
Just received my "Anton Cotton Trousers" from Berg & Berg. Over all I'm very happy with them. The fabric is soft and smooth, and rather thin; perfect for spring and summer. I was expecting the fit to be roomier and wider (considering these are Berg & Berg's widest fit), but in my opinion the trousers fit quite slim and "contemporary" and they should be easy to pair with pretty much anything. For example, there's not too much room over the thighs and the leg opening is pretty normal. Rise-wise these come up to my belly button, give or take. Over all the fit and style is great and well balanced, and I'll probably just need to hem the trousers.

Previously I just own a belt from Berg & Berg. It's a great looking woven leather belt which gets a lot of wear. The leather quality of that belt however doesn't seem to be the absolute best, and I'm getting the same feeling with the trousers. It's good quality. The attention to detail is good. But it's not great. Thats not a bad thing necessarily -- as a higher standard of quality would require a higher price -- but worth pointing out. Whats interesting with Berg & Berg, in my point of view, is the styling, which is great! Their styling and the general aesthetic of the brand is unique and very appealing. Also, the shipping was super fast.

Attachments

• tempImagesedjRn.png
    tempImagesedjRn.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 380

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those looks really good!

Carmex

Reaction score
Do B&B have a permanent collection? I just bought the Antonio flannel trousers in charcoal, and was hoping to buy the jacket next fall

Shetterd

Reaction score
I just got some Antonio flannels in taupe. This is my first experience with B&B trousers. Here are some thoughts.

1) The flannel is really nice. I have some older flannels that I really like. They are fuzzy and mottled with good weight and drape. Then, earlier this year, I picked up some VBC flannels and was a bit disappointed with the flannel. They felt much lighter and didn't drape nearly as well (they're still nice pants, though). These are much heavier than either. Unlike my older flannels, these aren't fuzzy, but rather compact and dense. They don't feel delicate or tissue paper-y.

2) The taupe color isn't really taupe. It's more just a warmish grey, albeit with some darker blue notes. I thought this would be the case when I bought them based on the pictures, and I was correct.

3) Normally, I buy a size up and then take in the waist. I sized up on these, but I won't need to take in the waist. The side-adjustors do enough.

4) For those with bigger legs, this fits fairly slim on me. I don't think I would fit into any of the slimmer B&B cuts.

5) The hem is advertised as being larger, but it looks pretty normal on me. The rise is a bit lower than expected, about an inch or two below my navel.

6) The fit is pretty good and clean throughout. The one exception is by the pleats on the right side. The fabric is rippling around there a bit. I think they didn't cut something quite right there. It seems like there is a bit of extra fabric causing the problem. If I pull up or add tension, e.g. with braces, the ripples go away. I think this is more a make problem than a fit problem. I've never had this before and it's only on one side. Maybe I'll see about getting this fixed. It's only really noticeable if I'm not wearing a jacket, as a jacket would cover this up.

Overall, I am happy with these and can recommend. The fabric and fit are nice. (The hanger is also a nice touch.)
Glad to hear you like them! I really like the flannel too, lovely dense fabric. Mine are currently being hemmed (and the seat let out a bit, will probably size up next time). Any chance you could post a picture of the Taupe?

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Glad to hear you like them! I really like the flannel too, lovely dense fabric. Mine are currently being hemmed (and the seat let out a bit, will probably size up next time). Any chance you could post a picture of the Taupe?

I think their pictures are pretty accurate color-wise.
1613323425682.png

Up close, it's a melange of a brown-ish color and a navy-ish grey color. I think that's barely visible in the above photo. I don't think my phone camera would really capture it any better.

Shetterd

Reaction score
I think their pictures are pretty accurate color-wise.

Up close, it's a melange of a brown-ish color and a navy-ish grey color. I think that's barely visible in the above photo. I don't think my phone camera would really capture it any better.

Extremely tempted to pick up another pair, then. Especially as the jacket, in the end, and following some advice from my tailor, is unfortunately on its way back to Sweden.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Extremely tempted to pick up another pair, then. Especially as the jacket, in the end, and following some advice from my tailor, is unfortunately on its way back to Sweden.

What about the jacket didn't work? Were their fit issues, or did you just not like the cut?

Shetterd

Reaction score
What about the jacket didn't work? Were their fit issues, or did you just not like the cut?
My tailor showed me that a lot of the back issues were due to my being too erect for the cut, plus the sleeves were far too long and the armholes he thought were quite big which made shortening from the top potentially an issue (I needed them shortened by 4cm or so).

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
My tailor showed me that a lot of the back issues were due to my being too erect for the cut, plus the sleeves were far too long and the armholes he thought were quite big which made shortening from the top potentially an issue (I needed them shortened by 4cm or so).

I take it the jacket came with working buttonholes on the sleeves, then? If so, that's unideal.

Shetterd

Reaction score
I take it the jacket came with working buttonholes on the sleeves, then? If so, that's unideal.

Yes, exactly. I did email B&B to suggest that they consider changing that, but they replied "it is a nice quality thing," which I guess means it's unlikely they will.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Yes, exactly. I did email B&B to suggest that they consider changing that, but they replied "it is a nice quality thing," which I guess means it's unlikely they will.

It's also a "nice prevents many people from buying thing". If you want the quality to appeal, just leave the sleeves unfinished.

Shetterd

Reaction score
It's also a "nice prevents many people from buying thing". If you want the quality to appeal, just leave the sleeves unfinished.
I don't see the downside to that honestly. Because surely it costs them money to have the sleeves finished, but it precludes customer alterations beyond a certain point, plus even those alterations which are possible end up being more expensive, as they have to be done from the top. So for customers it would surely be much easier to just have unfinished sleeves, because either way you have to pay for alterations, so might as well make it more convenient for customers (unless you expect the majority of people to have an arm length which matches the given sleeve length).

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I don't see the downside to that honestly. Because surely it costs them money to have the sleeves finished, but it precludes customer alterations beyond a certain point, plus even those alterations which are possible end up being more expensive, as they have to be done from the top. So for customers it would surely be much easier to just have unfinished sleeves, because either way you have to pay for alterations, so might as well make it more convenient for customers (unless you expect the majority of people to have an arm length which matches the given sleeve length).

As someone who has to make something of a trip to get to a tailor who can competently make working buttonholes, I kind of understand the appeal from a convenience perspective. Still, on net, it doesn't make sense to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads