1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bennie's Grenson pics

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by whoopee, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Thanks again guys.

yanks, after a cream treatment, I used brown, navy, bordeaux, and black wax polishes.

Nice! Did you apply evenly, or apply each color to a specific area?

2. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

Teacher, most of the navy and black went on the toes, heels, the quarters, and the straps of the loafers. I did use those colours for a couple coats over the entire shoe - it seemed to really stick around the laces of the oxfords. Brown and bordeaux went all over the shoes, too, with the former used considerably more heavily.

3. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Received these today, thanks Chris they are perfect!

[​IMG]

4. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Pretty sharp. I think pebble grain for a cap-toe oxford is a little incongruous, but for your shoe wardrobe, I'm sure it'll find it's own niche.

5. aportnoy

I really like the unexpected mix of texture with formality. It's quite similar to willow oak EGs or even, perhaps, the Russian reindeer effect of Cleverleys.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I really like the unexpected mix of texture with formality. It's quite similar to willow oak EGs or even, perhaps, the Russian reindeer effect of Cleverleys.

What will you wear them with? I think they'd be lovely with a tweed suit.

7. aportnoy

What will you wear them with? I think they'd be lovely with a tweed suit.

Doc...I have a RLPL 3 piece brown mix popcorn tweed suit with which these will be ideal. I'm also thinking navy flannel would work nicely. I look at these as being no less formal than suede captoes and I wear suede captoes with a variety of suitings.

8. DocHolliday

Doc...I have a RLPL 3 piece brown mix popcorn tweed suit with which these will be ideal. I'm also thinking navy flannel would work nicely. I look at these as being no less formal than suede captoes and I wear suede captoes with a variety of suitings.

Sounds perfect. I love the idea of a three-piece with these shoes. I've got a tweed three-piece they'd look great with too. Too bad there weren't any in my size.

Is the RLPL the one with a high-buttoning vest?

9. aportnoy

Is the RLPL the one with a high-buttoning vest?

Exactly. It's pure cashmere too.[​IMG]

10. DocHolliday

Exactly. It's pure cashmere too.[​IMG]

Those shoes are exactly what that suit needs. Man.

11. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

Does Bennies still have Grenson Masterpiece shoes for sale? I would appreciate a link to them. Thanks.

12. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I just picked up my two-tone Grenson Stowes. They are built upon an elongated, chisel-toed last (which doesn't come across in the pictures) and fit very snuggly. In those two respects, they remind me of shoes on the C&J 337 last. There is quite a bit of wriggle room for my toes, but I think going down half a size would result in a fit that is too narrow.

In sum, I think they're keepers. Thanks Chris!

14. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Got a nice package from Chris today. The tassles are shell cordovan. Very exciting. The Double monks' top buckle won't buckle I'm afraid - I'll have to take them to a cobbler and have another hole punched in the strap for a looser fit. All in all, not bad.

[​IMG]

15. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

This rug thing is endemic. [​IMG] The double monks are enchanting. They're burgundy, yes?

16. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

This rug thing is endemic. [​IMG] The double monks are enchanting. They're burgundy, yes?
    brown

17. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

A few bonus pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This row is all shell cordovan

[​IMG]

18. aportnoy

Nice shots Z. I especially like the monk strap!

Do we have any word if the rubber soled shoes are going on sale tomorrow?

19. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

Guys,

I wear C&J 337 and EG 888, 606 in UK8.5E. What size should I be looking for on Bennie's site? I understand the sizes listed on his site are US sizes. Thanks in advance.

20. aportnoy

Guys,

I wear C&J 337 and EG 888, 606 in UK8.5E. What size should I be looking for on Bennie's site? I understand the sizes listed on his site are US sizes. Thanks in advance.

For the Grenson's I would recommend a 9D. I wear size 8E in all the lasts that you've referenced and I take an 8.5D in the Grenson.