1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Benching on Smith Machine vs. Benching on flat bench

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Forkit, Jul 26, 2008.

1. why

why Well-Known Member

I say do the ole push up routine. vary the distance of your hands, elevate your legs. 3 sets of 40 will do the trick or more depending on your fitness level. thats if you are going for cuts and not bulk

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. tuba74

tuba74 Member

Bench Presses >> Pushups

Pushups are a triceps workout anyways.

Obviously, this guy only knows one way to do pushups

3. ama

ama Well-Known Member

Pushups can work your entire upper body if you vary your hand and body positions...

4. beasty

beasty Well-Known Member

Pushups can work your entire upper body if you vary your hand and body positions...

HOw does it work your back? Pushup from your back?

5. eidolon

eidolon Well-Known Member

HOw does it work your back? Pushup from your back?

Let it go. This has happened before. There are some exceptionally stupid and self-deluded people here who do not understand physiology and load.

6. beasty

beasty Well-Known Member

Let it go. This has happened before. There are some exceptionally stupid and self-deluded people here who do not understand physiology and load.

HEy, I have seen people who push up with their back facing the floor, with legs on floor and hands over the head on floor as well, and they push up and down strengthening or destroying their lower back/spine. Maybe ama is on to something here we dont know.

7. bizzblar

bizzblar Well-Known Member

The actual smith bar weighs 25lbs vs 45 lbs, i believe, as well.

8. beasty

beasty Well-Known Member

The actual smith bar weighs 25lbs vs 45 lbs, i believe, as well.

According to the manufacturer, the bar is usually about 16 kg.
    But as I said, it depends on many factors, if the machine is old, without any plates on the bar, it can even float in the air a few seconds before slowly descending and I can feel there is no weight even on an empty bar.

9. Omar1223

Omar1223 Well-Known Member

the one at my gym has a weight of 15 lbs only.

10. Mblova

Mblova Well-Known Member

Why the hell can't people just do a regular bench if you are so inclined to get big boobies?
    I think with a variation in pushups, you can make the chest stronger and also the shoulder girdle. Hell try doing pushups at the end of a chest workout, it is pretty hard. Also doing planks(sp) is very good.

11. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

Why the hell can't people just do a regular bench if you are so inclined to get big boobies?

To paraphrase Ronnie Coleman, everyone wants to get big but few want to lift heavy ass weights.

12. beasty

beasty Well-Known Member

To paraphrase Ronnie Coleman, everyone wants to get big but few want to lift heavy ass weights.

Amen!!!

I just realised Ronnie does full squats.
    Ham to calves kind and with the weight he is squatting, can you imagine how strong he really is?

13. studentturnedemployee

studentturnedemployee Member

light weight baby! nutten but a peanut!

14. beasty

beasty Well-Known Member

light weight baby! nutten but a peanut!

Hotdamn! YOu got that right!

15. jc138

jc138 Well-Known Member

HEy, I have seen people who push up with their back facing the floor, with legs on floor and hands over the head on floor as well, and they push up and down strengthening or destroying their lower back/spine. Maybe ama is on to something here we dont know.
    Are you talking about yoga's wheel?

http://www.santosha.com/asanas/chakra.html

Hard to see how this would hurt your back, provided you were strong enough and properly warmed up. I hate to think what you would say about all those neck excercises we did in football when we were kids.

16. DGP

DGP Well-Known Member

I had similar safety concerns, because I like going to the gym by myself and never have a spotter. I use dumbells for my bench press, which don't have the risks associated with a bar, and actually, IMO, are more challenging.