1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Belts and Buckles

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by fruitymetcalfe, Apr 26, 2006.

1. jedwards

jedwards Well-Known Member

I bought the quick release belt "cheap" version, and its really nice.

The clasp is a little fiddly though, so I find the belt is best for aesthetic purposes more than practical.

I have put a nice REAL crocodile belt I just bought in the classfieds section if anyone's after a really cheap one, brand new. Unfortunately its too big for me!

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I bought the quick release belt "cheap" version, and its really nice.

The clasp is a little fiddly though, so I find the belt is best for aesthetic purposes more than practical.

I have put a nice REAL crocodile belt I just bought in the classfieds section if anyone's after a really cheap one, brand new. Unfortunately its too big for me!

It would be nice if you could post some pictures of the belt [​IMG]

3. jedwards

jedwards Well-Known Member

It would be nice if you could post some pictures of the belt [​IMG]

not sure which belt you wanted to see a picture of, so here they all are.

[​IMG]

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Interesting (looking at cheap version of EG belt). Buckle looks similar, leather, not so much...

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Red Moon wallets, while interesting to look at, always struck me as impractical (they're gigantic!) but their belts are indeed pretty nice. I'm not a big fan of the current japanese infatuation with native imagery but the leather they use looks killer.

6. ringring

ringring Well-Known Member

'tis true, many of the Redmoon wallets are huge, like 3 times the thickness of a J-Fold wallet.
    They do make some smaller versions too though.

7. Antoine

Antoine Member

Take a look at www.herve-n-sellier.com. Nice belts, very good leather work and quality buckles. I've just ordered a laced belt to wear with my jeans. I'm also interested in their "leathersmith" belt in natural leather.

8. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Well-Known Member

the red moon wallets are big at first because of the stiffness of the leather- they decrease in size when you use them- but they'll still be bigger than a jfold.

9. somatoform

somatoform Well-Known Member

This is a place for belts (among other things) reccommended by GQ. Probably some of the better belts I have ever seen (along with the RRL store in Soho that was selling beautifully brass studded worn dark brown leather belts for a thousand and up).

http://www.lofi.com/dev/index.php?cP...91b8847717b28a

Otherwise custom is always an option.

10. Contingency Plan

Contingency Plan Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of Sugarcane's belts.

11. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Well-Known Member

one of my fav belts is a big thick brown leather belt with a simple steel buckle. It used to be my dad's, he would wear it daily in the 60's & 70's when he worked construction. It's completely beaten to hell but looks great now.

other than that, I've got a red belt to match my red shoes, plain black/brown belts in both thick and thin sizes for various occations and a few more black and brown belts with various distressing, studs, rivits, etc... for fun.

12. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

My favorite belt i picked up from a thrift store. I don't have the budget to spend more than 5-10$ on a belt.

My favorite buckle is one my dad gave me its a Moosehead Lager buckle from the seventies.

I'd say shop around and don't buy a 'reversible' belt.

robbie

13. Coulomb

Coulomb Well-Known Member

two of my favorite belts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. BrettChaotix

^ really like that black one!

15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Brett, there is/was a great dive in Fell's Point (Full Moon Saloon) that as recently as six months ago had a great selection of the owners' (RIP) vintage belt buckles for $10 a piece.

16. BrettChaotix

Brett, there is/was a great dive in Fell's Point (Full Moon Saloon) that as recently as six months ago had a great selection of the owners' (RIP) vintage belt buckles for $10 a piece.

haha I know the Full Moon Saloon and am going to pass by it on the way to my g/f's house in Canton tonight! I'll stop by and take a look. Do you recall how long ago this was?

P.S. - if you are still in town I'm DJ'ing at The Whistling Oyster on Broadway on Friday night. Stop by and I'll buy you a drink!

17. ratboycom

ratboycom Well-Known Member

^ really like that black one!

+1

really dig the detailing, neat

18. ang_kangkong

ang_kangkong Well-Known Member

I have lots of buckles. I've grouped them according to: Music groups/artists [​IMG] Frampton, Foghat, Marley, YES, Grateful Dead, The Beatles (Yellow Submarine) Beverages [​IMG] Coke, Coke, Miller, Hires, Coke, Pepsi Miscellaneous [​IMG] Lee (jeans), Zig Zag Rolling Paper, Right to Bear Arms I actually have a Pepsi Gunners buckle that I got after I took these pics. I wear them with belts that have snaps so I can change buckles, one brown, one black, one white. One of these days, I'm gonna get a custom made natural leather belts from somewhere as well.

19. BrettChaotix

Shoreman, thanks for the tip about the FMS, I went there and they had about 2 dozen buckles on display. Many were brand logos but they had a couple of cool ones that I grabbed..... later a friend told me they have boxes more behind the bar and if you ask they will let you dig through them so I'm going back soon!

Here's most of my belts except for a couple that were in-use, and you can see the two buckles that I bought, on the left-side.

[​IMG]

20. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Glad you found something you liked, Brett. I'll have to check out the behind-the-bar stock next time I go. Last time I got an Oregon buckle (which I gave away) and a PBR buckle. Only problem with FMS is they don't serve Boh (or never have it in stock).

Sorry I didn't stop by youir DJ gig--haven't actually hung out in Baltimore since the Ponys show awhile back.

Nice collection, ang. That Yes buckle is the shit, and the Lee and Zig Zag buckles rule pretty hard.