1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bed Bath and Beyond Literati (E-Reader) on sale for only 35 dollars...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sho'nuff, Feb 4, 2011.

1. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I picked one up...it looks nice enough but if I decide I don't like it, I will just return it.

2. otc

otc Well-Known Member

yeah, this piece of junk is going back.

The forward backward buttons are not real buttons but are actually touch sensitive. One of the forward buttons on my unit does not work...and they also seem to get pressed randomly while I am trying to read.

I am still going to try it with a PDF just to see...but I am 99% sure it is going back.

Too bad as it was a great price for something I could use to read all of the free ebooks out there. I have not really had any interest in paying for new books on a kindle (compared to the price of real books) but now that there are some pretty nice readers out there...I can't bring myself to buy any books that are in the public domain since for the price of a few Shakespeare plays and some dickens novels, I could just buy a reader

3. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

i still didn't get one but did look at some reviews...may pass as i would have to go out of my way to get one as they are sold out in nyc...

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

can't bring myself to buy any books that are in the public domain since for the price of a few Shakespeare plays and some dickens novels, I could just buy a reader

Jesus effing C. Just go to a effing library.

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

hope everyone enjoys their reader. picked up a couple last friday and will try to see if i can get a few more for each of my nephews.

6. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Since mine was broken and is going back...I will probably not pick up another (though there were a bunch in stock in chicago on saturday).

I will say though...while the interface leaves a lot to be desired, the screen is pretty good (though it is a little funny shaped...like they had an overstock on automobile in-dash widescreen displays). The books displayed fine and after the firmware updates, the PDF I tested looked pretty good.

7. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

an LCD right? Don't like. e-ink FTW.

8. sho'nuff

Since mine was broken and is going back...I will probably not pick up another (though there were a bunch in stock in chicago on saturday).

I will say though...while the interface leaves a lot to be desired, the screen is pretty good (though it is a little funny shaped...like they had an overstock on automobile in-dash widescreen displays). The books displayed fine and after the firmware updates, the PDF I tested looked pretty good.

yours was broken? wow sorry to hear that. what was defective on it?

9. otc

otc Well-Known Member

yours was broken? wow sorry to hear that. what was defective on it?

yeah, this piece of junk is going back.

The forward backward buttons are not real buttons but are actually touch sensitive. One of the forward buttons on my unit does not work...and they also seem to get pressed randomly while I am trying to read.

random page turns are pretty damn annoying...especially if it turns several at once and gets to a chapter break (this unit stops for "loading" between chapters).

10. sho'nuff

random page turns are pretty damn annoying...especially if it turns several at once and gets to a chapter break (this unit stops for "loading" between chapters).

hmmm

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Read on mine for about 3 hrs the other night. The lcd was great. I just turned the brightness all the way down and it is fine.

Really enjoying it so far

12. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Well-Known Member

i'm not big on buying things just because they're cheap or on sale. this reader is a POS.

best reader on the market is the kindle 3.

13. The-thin-man

The-thin-man Well-Known Member

i'm not big on buying things just because they're cheap or on sale. this reader is a POS.

best reader on the market is the kindle 3.

I think nook is the best one I've seen.

14. mrgoblueguy

mrgoblueguy Well-Known Member

I cant find it on the site. Post a link please.

15. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Well-Known Member

I think nook is the best one I've seen.

e ink, brah

16. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

I cant find it on the site. Post a link please.

prob sold out...

17. mrgoblueguy

mrgoblueguy Well-Known Member

No stores in Michigan have it.

18. nookgirl007

nookgirl007 New Member

Got this for my 12 year old to keep him off my nook. He doesn't bother anymore. In fact when we went on a trip and I forgot my charger, the child wouldn't let me borrow his.