• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Becoming a tea drinker.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you don't get high, but what does it actually taste like?

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I prefer tea over coffee, with a good spot of milk/creme

You can't ever go wrong with earl grey....but to the OP, get one of those variety packs that comes with a few different flavors and see what floats your boat.

I found real Japanese green tea to be kind of sweet (I took a tea ceremony class many years ago) and very different from the sort you are usually served

Yes, the powdered green tea when whisked is like a creamy broth - and you can control the potency so that it is almost like a soup. Very tasty. Yes, a minimal sweetness with the high quality teas, and a mild hint of [dare I say] - spinach & peat. One does receive a good bit of zap. Much more alert than a dose of any energy drink or "Jolt Cola".

Drink copious amounts of this stuff and you might expect to live over 100.
Enjoy it with a Geisha [or two] and you are guaranteed to live well over the normal life-expectancy.

If one has the stamina for the long duration, the classic Japanese tea ceremony can be one of the most enjoyable ways to spend a day.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer strong Chinese tea. I wouldn't be able to tell you the details, or even precise names, but that's what I like, and usually I can tell what is quality by the taste.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I prefer strong Chinese tea. I wouldn't be able to tell you the details, or even precise names, but that's what I like, and usually I can tell what is quality by the taste.

I buy my tea from a store called Ten Ren. They have lots of teas in large crocks and sell it by the pound. I wish I knew what the one I drink is called in Chinese. They just call it black tea when I ask.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I buy my tea from a store called Ten Ren. They have lots of teas in large crocks and sell it by the pound. I wish I knew what the one I drink is called in Chinese. They just call it black tea when I ask.

I know that store; I think it's a chain from Taiwan. They even have it in the P.R.C.

Some of the tea tins have English names, or at least Anglicized Chinese names, I recall.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
After drinking for a few days, I'm really liking Black tea more. I've tried Black, Green, and White (Rishi Tea).

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Also, since Caffeine never really had an effect on me, it's nice to be able to drink black tea (more caffeine in it) in the evening time.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mandrake9072
Oh yes, coming from an Indian family, I'm not completely new to tea. My parents drink tea at least twice a day. I was actually shocked at the fact that people drank tea w/o milk, since I was always used to seeing family members drink with milk.
As per your herritage you have acces to a vast array of teas, Masala Chai(cinnamon, cloves etc) is drunk a lott in India, mostly with milk I think. I enjoy it without, for the spiciness.
Originally Posted by fatherseanfan
Anything but Lipton.
+1 My british teas are: EarlGray (with bergamotte OIL not flavor) LadyGray (on occation for a more sitrucy flavor) Prince of Wales (more towards a Chinese black, more punch than Breakfast) Lapsang Souchong (more like a lightly peaty malt
wink.gif
mostly in gunpowder form) The Chinese have a vast variety of teas that are quite interesting, as do the Russian The expanding flower is usualy a hitt with the ladies
wink.gif
I also drink infucions like: Peppermint Parsley Cardemom Lemon Ginger All for their unique flavours, to add some varity. I find brown suggar ads a roudnes to the sweet, but mostly I use honey if anny swetening at all My2c

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tea is my favorite drink other than beer. I find really high grade loose tea so far from what comes in bags that I haven't bought bagged tea in many years. The Taiwanese Oolong teas are perhaps the best I have found with the 'Monkey Picked' being especially nice.

If anyone in Chicago wants to buy really fantastic tea, I recommend My Place for Tea on Sheffield just north of Belmont (across from Leona's). I am friends with the couple that owns the shop (Rico and Min) who have immense knowledge of teas and blend their own. The teas are superior to Argo, and they have a website for orders too: http://www.myplacefortea.com/

I have no financial interest in the shop apart from wanting to see them succeed so I can continue to buy exquisite tea locally.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like green tea.

Earl Grey tastes a little too citrusy I think.

I've had some peruvian coca and chamomile tea that is decent. The coca content may make it grey area legality in the US though, not sure.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Btw, I forgot to mention that the tea I purchased from Whole Foods was this brand: http://www.rishi-tea.com/ I'm not too fond of the green tea (jasmine variety). The smell isn't very pleasing nor is the taste. The black tea (china breakfast) and white tea, I have been enjoying. I will have to give the jasime green tea more taste, and maybe it'll grow on me.

totally epic

Reaction score
A friend brought some tie guan yin back from China. I really enjoy it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads