1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Because I am a geek, an appropriate poll

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by skalogre, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Margaret

Margaret Well-Known Member

A non-Trekkie's perspective, for what it's worth:

1. Voyager, because... Janeway AND Seven of Nine? No brainer. Their sex appeal alone makes up for Chakotay, Kim, Neelix, the Spock and McCoy wannabees and all the other annoying-as-hell second-rate characters.

2. TOS has to be at least second, because... c'mon. It... startedit... All.Where... wouldwebe...Without. It. ?

3. TNG. Picard/Steward rules, but the rest of the cast is so... blech. Especially Weasely Crusher. Actually, his mom is pretty watchable, but that's about it.

DSN and the rest haven't made enough of an impression either way...

2. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

i loved the episode of boston legal where shatner flips open his phone and it makes the 'tk-tk' sound from TOS.
    I keep tuning into Boston Legal for three reasons, 1. Shatner, 2. the possibility of Shatner shooting someone, and 3. the hope (faith?) that someday Leonard Nimoy will guest star.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I'm the first person to vote for the original series?? That's outrageous. Great stories, simply told, often with a nice (if heavyhanded) moral. Even the weak episodes are uplifted by the three leads. Perfect.

I like TNG, but it's looking really dated. Very much of its day. There are some fine stories there, but I've found the series falling in my estimation as time goes on. I never came to like the characters the way I do the originals.

DS9 did some interesting things, but it's too self-involved for me. I've only seen maybe half the episodes. Someday I should sit down and watch it from beginning to end. I'd probably appreciate it more if I did, but I find it hard to commit to its elaborate soap opera complications.

Voyager is terrible. Can't even watch it. Enterprise was finally getting good when they killed it off.

Now they're talking about making another movie in hopes of reinvigorating the franchise. Supposedly it will feature new actors playing Kirk, Spock and McCoy as Starfleet cadets. I'd go see it if they brought back Shatner in some capacity.

4. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

Well, actually, one of my Star Trek episodes is this (naturally, Kirk does the squelchie with Leela after trying to kill each other and Nimoy acts disgusted) [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Lamo

Lamo Well-Known Member

loved DS9, never did get into the other shows.

6. Lamo

Lamo Well-Known Member

Well, actually, one of my Star Trek episodes is this (naturally, Kirk does the squelchie with Leela after trying to kill each other and Nimoy acts disgusted)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

that was a great episode. William Shatner does a lovely rendition of Slim Shady[​IMG]

7. Nick M

Nick M Well-Known Member

Voyager is terrible. Can't even watch it.
    Agreed.

Voyager, from what I saw, was the series that most heavily used that pseudo-scientific technobabble in place of actual decent writing.

Where in the other shows, they'd fight their way out of a tight spot, or fall back on diplomacy, most eps of Voyager had them realigning the neutrino array or reversing the polarity of the deflector dish or whatever. And in about half the episodes I saw, the crew, the ship, maybe the universe was destroyed, and somehow the one remaining plucky crewmember hit a cosmic reset button and everything was back to normal again.

For a show about a crew stranded out in deep space, there was a real lack of any kind of tension.

AND, in every episode of Enterprise I saw, the Captain got abducted.

On the other hand, I liked the ST movies where they went back in time - 4 and First Contact (?).

And the 25th anniversary original series PC game - that was great.

EDIT: And how could I forget Star Trek 2, with Khaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

9. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Sounds like it would be another drag. Does anyone else think they should stop trying to do the shows farther in the past, or inbetween time periods of the other st series?

I'd like to see something that takes place AFTER everything that's happened in the Star Trek universe, with a completely new cast and new set of circumstances.

I found Firefly to be much more compelling, and the shows were just about the crew getting the job done, staying ahead of the law, and keeping gas in the tank. Not always having to save the planet Earth from a death ray and whatnot. I can't really believe they are serious about reviving this franchise when they merely find new ways to do the same thing over and over.

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Sounds like it would be another drag. Does anyone else think they should stop trying to do the shows farther in the past, or inbetween time periods of the other st series?

I'm not entirely sold on the "young Kirk" idea, but I think they need the nostalgia for the original series to resucitate interest. I doubt many people would pay money to see characters they've never heard of. And pushing Trek further into the future, significantly beyond TNG, seems a little far-fetched.

11. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I think a new series taking place 5 to 10 years after TNG would be great. Also, have a bit of a different angle with the ship and crew...instead of being upright Federation members on whatever incarnation of the USS Enterprise...maybe have it be some mercenaries on a highly customized Klingon Bird of Prey. I think people will go see it, if they market it right, as with everything. Character development and political intrigue is what I've been yearning for in ST....and from everyone's descriptions of DS9...I guess I'd have gotten what I wanted if I had bothered to watch that one!

12. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

....and from everyone's descriptions of DS9...I guess I'd have gotten what I wanted if I had bothered to watch that one!
    except they kept having to make up excuses for people to leave the space station. that was one of the big 'flaws' of the show - they were stuck out there on a satellite. the core star trek audience wanted exploration and combat, so they were fighting an uphill battle with that show.

13. faustian bargain

I keep tuning into Boston Legal for three reasons, 1. Shatner, 2. the possibility of Shatner shooting someone, and 3. the hope (faith?) that someday Leonard Nimoy will guest star.

here's an excruciatingly detailed rundown of crossover star trek references found in boston legal:

http://boston-legal.org/startrek/

14. faustian bargain

apparently kirk is going to meet seven of nine next week. i guess odo will just watch.