1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Nov 11, 2010.

1. bluemagic

bluemagic Well-Known Member

- B

Those aren't Kenmoors, though.

2. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

The depth of your arrogance is often astounding. Are you even 30 yet, Foo?
    Look at me!! Check out my "neapolitan approach to tailoring" and American style wingtips!!!! EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! I'm so sophisticated because I get all my stuff custom made at Rubinacci and Anna Matuozzo. Florsheims are for peasants!!!

1 person likes this.
  3. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of how much they cost, but how ugly they are. I'm not sure what my age or arrogance has to do with anything.

4. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of how much they cost, but how ugly they are. I'm not sure what my age or arrogance has to do with anything.

Because for you to simply declare that they are hideous, and assert that everyone who can't see that is clearly an idiot, is arrogance defined.

Whether they are ugly is a matter of opinion, not fact. Someone might look upon this as their very own "one shoe," and rush out to purchase 10 pair. Aesthetics are an issue of one's own perceptions, there are no absolutes.

I ask about your age because I find it interesting that someone so young and limited in life experience speaks as if they are an absolute authority on something as subjective as the topic of this discussion.

Mike

1 person likes this.
  5. mafoofan

Because for you to simply declare that they are hideous, and assert that everyone who can't see that is clearly an idiot, is arrogance defined.

Whether they are ugly is a matter of opinion, not fact. Someone might look upon this as their very own "one shoe," and rush out to purchase 10 pair. Aesthetics are an issue of one's own perceptions, there are no absolutes.

I ask about your age because I find it interesting that someone so young and limited in life experience speaks as if they are an absolute authority on something as subjective as the topic of this discussion.

Oh, those are definitely objectively ugly. I've had 28 years to figure that out, though. And you?

6. MORNINGSTAR777

MORNINGSTAR777 Well-Known Member

I placed it in order of Alden, AE, Florsheim. I just can't place the Florsheim anywhere but last for the simple fact that it isn't made in America. If they cost that much and were made in an American factory they would be truly tough act to beat. I own the MacNeils and have seen the Aldens and a pair of Kenmoors in person, and would say that for the general public they're all close enough. My personal preference would be a foo-wing. I'm wearing some plaza last cap toes today and definitely think the shape is more appealing than te Barrie.

All things considered if you're working with limited cash and looking for a shoe that can be readily resoled you could do far worse than the Florsheims at that price.

7. MBreinin

Oh, those are definitely objectively ugly. I've had 28 years to figure that out, though. And you?

I have 40 years of experience and I disagree. Not the prettiest longwing I have ever seen, but I don't think they are ugly. I agree with you that the Alden is the best of the bunch.

Mike

1 person likes this.
  8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

I don't disagree that the Floresheims may pose a decent value. But, come on, do you really think Manton would say they're comparable to Aldens?

[​IMG]

Those aren't Kenmoors, though.

Is that model more similar in styling to a washing machine?

[​IMG]

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on MBrenin. Will it be a cancelled subscription?

Or will he have his lungs pulled out in a martial arts studio through his far too large lapels?

[​IMG]

Ruh roh...just heard that Singapore Airlines flight 107 is being diverted to New Orleans...and all the champagne in first class has been fully consumed.

- B

9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Vintage Florsheim beats all 3. But in this comparison, Alden wins. They look better in real life...
    Agreed. I have a pair of vintage made in the USA Florsheim Imperials and they are awesome shoes, but contemporary Florsheims are a travesty. My grandfather would be ashamed.
    I placed it in order of Alden, AE, Florsheim. I just can't place the Florsheim anywhere but last for the simple fact that it isn't made in America.
    Also an excellent point.

10. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Look at me!! Check out my "neapolitan approach to tailoring" and American style wingtips!!!! EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! I'm so sophisticated because I get all my stuff custom made at Rubinacci and Anna Matuozzo. Florsheims are for peasants!!!

Wow, this is scathing.

- B

11. mafoofan

I have 40 years of experience and I disagree. Not the prettiest longwing I have ever seen, but I don't think they are ugly. I agree with you that the Alden is the best of the bunch.

Then what the f*ck is your problem? I said I thought they were ugly. You don't disagree they are the worst of the three. Yet, you felt the need to lecture me on my age and arrogance for not liking the shoes more. You also accused me of snobbery for not giving aesthetic bonus points to a pair of shoes for being cheap. Ugly is ugly regardless of how much you pay. If we were talking about simple value or utility, it would be a different story.

It sounds like you have an issue with me, not my opinion on a pair of ugly shoes.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on MBrenin. Will it be a cancelled subscription?

He's been banned from mfanblog.blogspot.com. Effective as of two years ago.

12. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

The depth of your arrogance is often astounding. Are you even 30 yet, Foo? The Alden is the best looking and the most "sleek," if you can call a longwing sleek. However, there is something appealing about the Florsheim...and the the Florsheim is $160. Let's keep in mind that this is a budget shoe to shoe enthusiasts (not the general population where this would be an expensive shoe). I like the fact that Florsheim is trying new things. While I prefer to obtain true vintage Florsheim gunboats, I would consider this shoe if looking for a new gunboat on a budget. I do not think it looks like "garbage" and as a matter of fact, I am wearing a new pair of Florsheim boots today. They fit my needs, and were affordable. I looked over their entire selection yesterday and there were several handsome shoes in the range, all affordable. I just don't understand the hate. Mike
    +1,000,000 If given a choice of taking a pair of Alden's or a pair of Florsheim's for free, I would take the Aldens. Better leather, obviously. But the Florsheim's are decent looking, even if they're CG. I voted Florsheim for the hell of it. I like the styling of the heel.

13. mafoofan

I'd obviously take the Alden's over the Florsheim's if given a choice, but the Florsheim's are decent looking, even if they're CG.

Are they?

14. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

Off topic a little....

From the pics I have seen posted, some people have really ugly feet. Even if they put on the most expensive bespoke shoes with the most elegant lasts, the shoes would still look ugly.

15. MBreinin

Then what the f*ck is your problem? I said I thought they were ugly. You don't disagree they are the worst of the three. Yet, you felt the need to lecture me on my age and arrogance for not liking the shoes more. You also accused me of snobbery for not giving aesthetic bonus points to a pair of shoes for being cheap. Ugly is ugly regardless of how much you pay. If we were talking about simple value or utility, it would be a different story.

It sounds like you have an issue with me, not my opinion on a pair of ugly shoes.

He's been banned from mfanblog.blogspot.com. Effective as of two years ago.

No, I put them above the AE's. They were my number 2 choice.

I think it is fine that you find them ugly, it is the way you assert your opinion that I have an issue with. I don't have any personal issue with you, Foo. I just think you often fail to employ tact when stating an opinion.

Mike

16. MBreinin

Or will he have his lungs pulled out in a martial arts studio through his far too large lapels?

[IMG]http://69.16.239.77/images/smilies/confused.gif

Ruh roh...just heard that Singapore Airlines flight 107 is being diverted to New Orleans...and all the champagne in first class has been fully consumed.

- B

I guess I better watch my ass, or load up on the Wild Turkey. [​IMG]

Maybe they will just reject my custom prior to being required to cancel it?

Oh, and, when you have a head as big as mine, you better have lapels that match. [​IMG]

I am quite fond of my lungs though. I would prefer to keep them.

Mike

17. Archivist

Archivist Well-Known Member

18. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Well-Known Member

Off topic a little....

From the pics I have seen posted, some people have really ugly feet. Even if they put on the most expensive bespoke shoes with the most elegant lasts, the shoes would still look ugly.

What the fuck are you talking about?

19. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Well-Known Member

Eh you know what. Eff groupthink. At $150? Those florsheims represent the single best MSRP value in dress shoes available right now. Period.

(at least, if you can verify they are welted)

20. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

Eh you know what. Eff groupthink. At $150? Those florsheims represent the single best MSRP value in dress shoes available right now. Period.

(at least, if you can verify they are welted)

and not Corrected grain.